Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain AstroBlack Slicktop, MCS 6MT- Basic Build Begins

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 03:43 PM
Boostmaster
4th Gear
Received 215 Likes on 145 Posts
AstroBlack Slicktop, MCS 6MT- Basic Build Begins

I've been meaning to start this thread for a while. For some reason I've just not gotten around to doing much with this car - probably due to working on other projects, changing jobs and looking at a possible move. Since my move seems to be on hold for now, I'm going tor try to start documenting a mild dd "build" - for lack of a better word. Really, it's more of a way for me to document what I've done with the car and to keep myself in check with the spending.

I purchased this car in December 2017 with 130k on the clock. It is a stripped down model by which I mean no heated seats, no front or rear fogs, no nav...

Once home I gave her a quick cleaning and did the following immediately:
1. Pulled the S/C and dumped the dirty fluid, put in some new fluid (have to make sure fluids are good.) Ordered new water pump but old one was perfect (sitting on shelf) Water pump flange was new also
2. Pulled and cleaned the CPS and gave it a new o-ring
3. Installed a new t-chain tensioner
4. Trans fluid was low so I added some more (It's getting pulled soon so it will all be new)
5. Added K&N panel filter
6. lubed the shifter linkages as it was really tough to shift- much better now
7. Replaced the rear hubs (bearings were shot and howling like mad)
8. Changed the Cabin filter
9. Inspected everything and put car into service (only issue is an a/c leak- charged it and it's been fine- I'll replace when it's empty)
10. had windows tinted
11. Pulled power steering fan, cleaned and lubed- in good working condition

3 weeks or so into it the T-stat went out. Installed new t-stat and gasket and new coolant. Drove car rest of winter.

Once Spring arrived:
1. I changed the oil (It had fresh synthetic done the day before I purchased it) and new filter
2. new fuel filter as well
3. new headlight assemblies (stock ones were really rough)
4. Rust on back tailgate and rear quarter were covered under warranty (took nearly 2 months!! but, it was fixed so I'm happy enough with it)- did mess with my graphics though so car is plain jane
5. Replaced non-op rear wiper assembly
6. installed Cravenspeed under tower indurators (lots of pot holes and road issues where I've been driving)
5. Replaced worn MINI front emblem
6. Installed a new rubber cargo mat (after an incident)
7. Since I was back there, we added some extra jute to all the rear plastic panels and cut noise significantly
8. went on 8 hour trip and noticed more howling. Returned home and replaced front hub assemblies as well
9. Swapped stock mirrors for the euro (I scratched up the old ones trying to take off overspray)
10. New serpentine belt.The old one decided to come apart.
11. Replaced the passenger side skirt as the old one was "ripped" due to someone not knowing how to use a jackstand.

Other than this car is essentially stock. I've not really touched anything. Now, that said, it seems as if this car may be one of those factory oddballs. I say this because it really feels much peppier than it should. I've fiddled with a few of these and this one seems to be a little more...

Anyway, I have a few ideas for the car, but I need to keep something of a budget. I have a bunch of cars and projects and this is my dd to boot so it needs to be reasonable.

Recently, I purchased a set of 15" R81 "holeys" for winter tires. However, I'm rethinking since I've discovered the R56 brake upgrade.

So, plans so far include:
1. R56 front brake caliper, new rotors and pads all around, SS braided lines (I already have the correct BMW fluid on hand)
2. Quaife LSD
3. Possible replacement clutch (since I'm going to be in there)
4. I'll order front and rear main seals but if not leaking I'll leave them alone
5. New oil tower seal
6. I already have an Alta 17% and 2% pulley set so I'll add that too (I know all the arguments against- never had one issue with these swaps before- ever)
7. Thinking keeping my x lite 16" R84 rims for winter tires and moving up to a light weight 17" for regular tires (Need some ideas on wheels and tires)
8. Maybe some swaybar/ chassis stiffening
9. One of the mufflers on the stock system is rusty. It all still works fine, may swap to a milltek
10. Considering a header, but prices are a bit high still
11. Even though stock rad and stock overflow reservoir are fine I'm probably going to go full aluminum- (It's one of the things I really hated with my BMW)
12. I'd like to swap in some nice recaro or sparco seats - not finding a ton of info
13. So far, springs and shocks looks fine. If I can put together a solid "kit" without dropping a ton of coin, I'd be interested.
14. Maybe some new plugs, 550 injectors and a tune when it's all said and done.

My commute is minimal. I don't spend a ton of time in the car but it needs to perform and be peppy, handle well and hold it's own. (my wife has an older, meaner WRX and complains that this car is not as fast and since it's a "one wheel wonder" she refuses to drive it since it does not "feel" safe- hence, it's her idea for me to buy the LSD. Yippee!

Anyway, If you guys have some ideas, tips, tricks, a line on a good sale...I'm happy to hear what is out there. The name of the game is bang for the buck. $2k in coil overs for my 10 minute commute just don't make sense- to give you an idea.

Now for a few pics:

Old 08-29-2018, 03:45 PM
Boostmaster
4th Gear

A few more:

Old 08-29-2018, 03:48 PM
Boostmaster
4th Gear
Usually, I take pics of my work as I do stuff but I've been lazy. I'll try to start taking pics to document what I do...

Old 08-29-2018, 04:23 PM
ONEBUNCHMIN
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's REALLY not wise to leave the rear main seal alone when you change the clutch. It's a cheap part that would otherwise be a royal PITA to change out alone. Just change it out and start fresh. Don't let any oil contaminate the new clutch should the oil seal start leaking soon after everything's finished.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:43 PM
Boostmaster
4th Gear
I used to be of the same mentality until I discovered that sometimes that seals are sometimes not exactly the same. I've seen plenty of new seals leak right away and old ones never leak. On the other hand, I replaced scored of old leaky seals as well. They're cheap and easy to install.

One of the reasons I sold my 5 was because of how much I "enjoyed" working on the Mini's. I am happy to pull the engine as it's not much of a hassle and I can always do a refresh again next year.

Right now, just working on which parts to buy so I can do as much as possible in one shot (ideally before the snow flies)

Anyone have thoughts on a scan/tuning tools?