Prototype Charge Pipe Kit R53 MINI - North American Motoring

Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prototype Charge Pipe Kit R53 MINI

Old 05-17-2018, 11:20 PM
Neutral

Prototype Charge Pipe Kit R53 MINI

Hello guys, I posted below my 1st gear thread as a small introduction of who I am and what I am doing:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-everyone.html

Now some details for the charge pipe kit:

When I started thinking how the OE design could be improved, my priority was the charge pipe. Due to many geometrical changes there are turbulence created in the airflow path. To avoid that a charge pipe was designed that keeps the throttle body diameter (it can be altered for custom ID) through out the body of the charge pipe. Then a smooth transition to the supercharger flange ensures a nice and smooth airflow path to the entrance of the supercharger.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

The OE mounting points remained the same, the opening towards the supercharger inlet has a tight fit, like the OE unit, thus the flange seats perfectly ensuring a perfect sealing. Additionally the bypass and the vacuum take-offs remain in the OE position.
Material:
The material of the charge pipe will be carbon fiber. The reason for going with that material instead of a casted solution is the available space was not enough. That means the charge pipe needs a very thin wall, 2mm , which is extremely hard to be done by the traditional casting methods. Carbon Fiber gave me the mechanical properties I wanted plus the extra thin walls. The only problem was the redesign of the mould, with now having more than 10 parts in total. As a result the initial hypothesis of 3 months of design had jumped to 8 months. At the end of the post, pictures of a pre-prototype charge pipe can be found.

Machined Adapter:
The kit will come with a machined adapter for the air filter in order the PCV system to operate as it was design by the factory. Additionally the PCV adapter ensures that the vehicle operation is environmental friendly and it is not a MOT fail (depending the country). Lastly your aircon will not have any oily smell when you operate it (in some vehicles there is an oily smell if the PCV hose is disconnected.)

Heat Shield:
The kit comes with a carbon fiber heat shield that ensures no hot air will go to your air filter. The shield is extended up to the bonnet and the way it is designed (see pics) hot air from the radiator will not go to your air filter. I will try to find some more pictures in order to make easier for you to understand how it is.

Air Filter:
The air filter is capable of more than 7000ltr/min figure which is more than enough a car with the usual mods (17% reduction pulley, 14.5 psi more or less).
So in what stage the charge pipe is now?
As I mentioned above in the prototype stage! That means the CAD, flow and stress simulations are done. Additionally the fitment have been verified by using fast prototyping methods (3d printing and 3d scanning) and the actual first product should be ready in the following months. done? I want to continue to real world testing, dragstrip , racetrack and city driving.
At this point I would like to thank the North American Motoring forum and all the users. Please leave your comments, questions, concerns it will be really helpful for the development process.

PM: I am working on a website and blog, but I think I need at least 1 to 2 months.

https://web.facebook.com/Precision.E...?ref=bookmarks

Some more pictures of printed parts and the early stage prototype:

And one from an early version of the carbon fiber prototype:

Thank you,
George

Last edited by P.E; 05-17-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:24 PM
Neutral

Somehow the pictures are double. I tried to change that in the editing section but when I am there everything seems fine! Maybe it is my browser, do you have the same problem?
I am using the bbc code from flickr to share the pictures here.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:41 AM
2nd Gear

Very cool, let me know when it will be available. I would also be interested in helping to test conditions/results on an development model.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:11 AM
Neutral

Keep an eye on the thread, I will try to post all the updates.
Sometimes I upload things on my facebook page so you can check that from time to time for news.
https://www.facebook.com/Precision.E...ence.of.speed/
I would be happy to collaborate with someone in order to expand the knowledge and make more testing ! I am anticipating for the next week (end of it) as I might have something more solid....
The Following User Says Thank You to P.E For This Useful Post:
astroblackr53 (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 08:36 AM
2nd Gear

Looks like a nice piece and well sorted.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:00 AM
Neutral

Thank you very much !
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
3rd Gear

Looks much better than the stock plastic crap that "Sometimes" seals and other times not lol.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM
Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEBUNCHMIN View Post
Looks much better than the stock plastic crap that "Sometimes" seals and other times not lol.
It a tricky indeed.
But interesting part the same time!
I believe it is tricky because of the way the whole assembly connects (plus the limited space). Thus a small mistake could create sealing problems.