Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain fJCW Turbo Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 11:21 AM
BeeMan87
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fJCW Turbo Swap

Hi all.

Needing to swap out the turbo on my 09 fJCW, and I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help with!

I don't fancy putting the car into service mode as it seems a bit of a faff and I have small hands
Is it possible to unbolt the turbo from the manifold while its on the car or am I better off removing the manifold? My oil lines are only about 500km old, should I have replacements on hand? I know they're prone to leaking but hoping I should get away with mine seeing as they're almost new...
I'm planning on fitting an aftermarket ic while I'm at it, and also putting in a new diverter valve too for good measure. Anything else I should change while I'm in there?
I absolutely love these cars but sometimes they really try my patience!
Thanks in advance for al your help!

Old 05-08-2018, 07:34 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Service mode doesn't take very long, and it does make things easier, and I think it actually saves time (not to mention frustration) overall.

You can remove the turbo from the exhaust manifold while the manifold stays attached to the head - no problem. If I remember correctly, that's what I did.

The hollow/banjo bolts fatigue and can break...I'd have those on hand (this happened to me...I was using a torque wrench, so I didn't over-tighten it, and it just broke off). I'd recommend getting the washers as well. turbo to downpipe flange nuts and studs aren't required, but could help. When I swapped out my turbo, I removed the downpipe....if you're doing the same, you might need a new v-clamp because they can be tough to remove intact.

While you have the turbo out, consider replacing the oil filter housing and oil cooler seals...much easier to get to with the turbo and downpipe out.

Which replacement turbo are you going with?

Best of luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

Old 05-08-2018, 07:48 AM
BeeMan87
Neutral
Thanks for the reply!

Just going with a standard replacement turbo as this one is pretty tired. Car only has 80k kms on it so I believe that maybe a previous owner neglected a leaky turbo feed pipe in the past and starved it of oil..

maybe service mode mode is the way to go seeing as I’ve a new intercooler to fit too..

Old 05-10-2018, 09:08 AM
thefarside
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
What bugeye1031 said, plus you'll want...

Seal ring between turbo/manifold
Down pipe gasket
Lower down pipe joint clamp
A couple of extra turbo/manifold studs/nuts
New turbo oil return pipe (your's is now nine years old)
About 10 heat shield bolts (use anti seize when installing new ones)
Anti seize (smear a thin film on the mating surfaces of the lower down pipe joint to reduce binding)

DO replace the seals on the oil cooler/filter housing, they will leak within another year so.
It is very challenging to replace the turbo when not in service mode.

ECS Tuning has everything you need, use after market where you can

BTW, the plastic wheel arch retainers can be pushed out from inside the fender when placing the car in service mode.

Last edited by squawSkiBum; 05-10-2018 at 08:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bugeye1031 (05-10-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 06:50 AM
BeeMan87
Neutral
Thanks for that thefarside!

Have all those gaskets and bits here already bar the v band clamp underneath. Also have an exhaust manifold gasket/heat shield seeing as the general consensus is it’s much easier to remove the manifold entirely rather than the turbo from it. I believe my oil feed pipe is only about a year old, but I reckon it was changed too late and the turbo suffered. Have a new one of those too. Service book shows the oil filter housing seals were also done recently - I’d imagine at the time they did the oil feed line.

Fingers crossed all all goes well, thanks for all the input!

Old 05-11-2018, 08:28 AM
thefarside
4th Gear
Odds are that the lower down pipe clamp bolt is badly corroded. A right angle grinder makes removing it a snap by cutting the bolt. Generous amounts of anti-seize on the new clamp bolt will prevent that in the future.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:28 AM
BeeMan87
Neutral
Hey all, got the swap done over the weekend, wasn't half as bad as I was expecting to be honest! Didn't go into service mode, and found that it was pretty easy to get the turbo out. Once the manifold was loose I was able to slide it forward and unbolt the turbo and take them out as separate units. Think it took about 6 hours in total, not sure because a neighbour called in the middle of it needing some welding done in a hurry.

All back together and feels like I have full boost, but have what sounds like a whirring noise. Not there when revving it when stationary, only when on the move. Assuming I may have a small boost leak or else possibly a loose heat shield. I'll investigate further during the week but im open to all suggestions!

Thanks again everyone for the advice and help!

Old 05-21-2018, 05:23 AM
thefarside
4th Gear
Less than 6 hours? Hats off!

Did you leave the lower portions of the heat shield in place?

Not sure about the whirring noise, doubt its a boost leak. Failing belt tensioner pulley?

Post some audio of the whirring?

Old 05-21-2018, 05:40 AM
BeeMan87
Neutral
Pulled the studs from the turbo which allowed enough play to drop the cat/downpipe with the heat shields in place. Removed the shields then as one unit to allow me to change the oil feed pipe and replace my manifold gasket. Worked out pretty well, and found that with a combination of extensions and deep sockets that the manifold nuts were pretty straightforward to get to!

Kind of difficult to get the audio as the noise is very quiet and barely noticeable. I never locked the tabs on the battery cover when I re installed it, apparently this can cause a noise similar but im not holding my breath on it being the issue!

Also noticed that my cold air intake pipe (the once with the duct in the grille) is massively loose at the airbox end, theres nothing there to firmly hold the pipe in place. Im assuming im missing a clip or collar of some sort but even real oem isn't shining any light on it for me!
Very unimpressed too with the garage that worked on this car last (before my ownership). Theres a multitude of small bits and pieces missing from the engine bay such as the clip for the washer bottle to hold it in place and the bolt securing the cold side of the intercooler piping! Only little things I know, but I certainly wouldn't hand back a car missing bits, especially without informing someone!

Old 05-21-2018, 06:08 AM
thefarside
4th Gear
The cold air pipe has a bayonet type fitting to the airbox. You have to twist both slightly to engage. Rotate the airbox so that the top goes toward the firewall and try to rotate the air pipe in the opposite direction, it should not take too much offset between the two for engagement to take place. It can be a bit tricky to get right the first time. It had me fooled for a while....

The following users liked this post:
BeeMan87 (05-21-2018)