Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ISO exhaust experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 08:32 PM
Mspeer
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ISO exhaust experience

Anyone have first hand info on these systems? I'm looking to replace my stock exhaust. I am happy with the factory sound, but my cat is plugged up and my mufflers are rusting away. I'm on a small budget and found the prices acceptable, but don't want to buy junk.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:04 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
There are lots of posts on these exhausts and you will most likely get more thoughts/opinions here. Some have had good luck others have not.

I like to keep my car clean and detailed but for me what the welds look like on the muffler that I only see when I am cleaning the bottom of the car does not really matter. I bought a used unit from a serviceman at a nearby base for my R53. He had added a resonator and it had a great sound. Had others ask me what type it was. I did have to grind the tips so that the angle was the same on both sides. I would not have issues buying one again.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:57 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Oh yeah we've seen those exhaust on cars and saying on the car is a lot. They fit like total crap. Seen them rattle and melt rear bumper covers so don't do it. Go with a quality part like a strat or milltek. Those are cheap for good reason.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/02-06-...mance/exhaust/

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-05-2018, 01:36 PM
Pgh Performance Parts
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You get what you pay for. We at Pittsburgh Performance Parts are having a group buy on MagnaFlow exhaust systems until March 16th. We need to have an order for 10 exhaust systems by the 16th and we can then give 15% off.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:49 PM
Mspeer
2nd Gear
Thanks Pgh, Magnaflow is a little out of my price range for now.
Has anyone replaced the cat without changing the header? My engine smells like rotten eggs when getting on it. I have been burning coolant due to a cracked head, and think that has plugged my cat. New head arrives this weekend, and I want to get the exhaust in good working order as well.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:35 AM
Mspeer
2nd Gear
I've decided I want to stick with stock exhaust, with the one ball mod. I'm,on a tight budget but want to buy quality as well. How good are the Bosal brand mufflers offered for our cars? I found one for $158, which fits my budget. I need under $200 installed.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:15 PM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Mspeer,

What did you send up doing? I'm also tempted to get an ebay exhaust for $230 shipped but fear it won't work on my R52 due to the brace. I'm tempted to find an exhaust shop to remove the resonator (one ball mod) for under $100. I just hope I'm happy with it and don't regret putting that money towards a full exhaust...

Old 04-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
You can lower the x-bracing to get the R53 exhaust on the R52. There are youtube clips on the one-ball. It comes down to how much money you want to spend.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:34 PM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
Thanx! That makes me feel a little better

Do these exhaust systems really add 10hp? Just seems crazy the stock system is holding back that much.

I'd like to do a 15/17% pulley, exhaust, and air intake to make it sound and zip better. If it drones on the highway, the wife will not be happy.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:47 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
IMO you get more out of the 15/17% pulley than the exhaust. The rule of thumb is for every 15 PSI of boost, you double the horsepower. On the pulley, need to determine what you are going to do with the crank pulley as with over 50,000 miles and the age of car, the rubber that holds the two parts together may have some dry rot, with that in mind could go with a 2% overdrive crank pulley and a 15% sc pulley. That will give you upwards of seven additional PSI and you can do the math.

But also recognizing that some of us here drool over a RMW Shorty Header, there is something about a louder exhaust, once you start modding a MINI, it is hard to stop . . . . .

Old 04-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Spyderman
Neutral
I used a Bosal with the one ball mod and it sounds nice and quiet with a few pops but no drone at all. I highly recommend it.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:32 AM
Mspeer
2nd Gear
Poker,
I haven't got it done yet. I have ordered a stock replacement muffler and will have a local shop install and do the one ball. My muffler is rusted out, otherwise I like the sound of my MINI.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:48 PM
Mspeer
2nd Gear
I bought a Bosal too. Just showed up from Rock Auto today. Not sure when I get to have it installed yet. Can't wait to hear it without rattles and hisses.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:18 PM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
Are you having an exhaust shop remove the resonator (passenger side), and replace the muffler (driver side) with the bosal muffler? Keep tips and everything else towards the front stock?

I really want the Milltek but can't get over paying that kind of money for sound and a few hp. I'm still tempted to pay $230 shipped for a ebay exhaust and roll the dice

Post back here when you get your bosal installed!!

Old 04-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I hated my one ball, but dislike my cheap ebay exhaust even more.

I had no problems with it fitting, and it sounds better than my one ball did, but the constant rattling is terrible. The rattle is from inside the mufflers, so there is nothing I can do about it. Luckily I can't really hear it while driving.

Somehow I've had it for a couple years now and it's held together just fine, but if I wasn't so cheap it would have been long gone.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:39 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee

I really want the Milltek but can't get over paying that kind of money for sound and a few hp. I'm still tempted to pay $230 shipped for a ebay exhaust and roll the dice
Just my 2¢ for whatever it may be worth...

...in my opinion, the investment in a high quality stainless steel exhaust system is very well worth it.

There's a reason why they're a little pricey:

Every system we make is designed, developed and hand-finished here in the UK by time-served craftsmen, each one produced in aerospace grade type 304, non-magnetic stainless steel. This superior material is less susceptible to discolouration, lasts almost indefinitely and is used throughout the entire construction of our pipework, silencers and associated hardware.

http://millteksport.com/about.cfm
In my personal experience, I bought a nice system for my old Saab back in 1998 and have been running it continually ever since and it's still going strong, there was never a big aftermarket for Saab so I laid out a pretty large sum to an outfit in the UK called Abbott Racing and had it shipped over. It has served me very very well all these years and even now as I'm selling off all my old Saab parts I am getting good offers for that exhaust system!

ISO exhaust experience-gkmazxy.jpg
ISO exhaust experience-95aekkb.jpg
ISO exhaust experience-wonodtb.jpg

Quality always lasts over fly-by-night crap and in the long run it actually pays for itself.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:23 AM
Mspeer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
Are you having an exhaust shop remove the resonator (passenger side), and replace the muffler (driver side) with the bosal muffler? Keep tips and everything else towards the front stock?

Post back here when you get your bosal installed!!
Yes that is my plan. Basically just doing the one ball mod only my muffler is is trashed or I wouldn't be replacing it.

I was also ready to buy the eBay kit until I read a few reviews about them. Too many reports about fitment issues and rattles. Some had noise at only certain cruising RPM, hangers not correctly placed. Guess you get what you pay for. Hoping basically a stock replacement will be a good investment.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:31 AM
Mspeer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
Just my 2¢ for whatever it may be worth...

...in my opinion, the investment in a high quality stainless steel exhaust system is very well worth it.

There's a reason why they're a little pricey
I don't doubt that! Unfortunately my pocket isn't deep enough right now. Someday it will be I'm sure. Kids and one income dictate right now! Wife says we are keeping Mini forever, one day there just may be a $500 + system under there!

Old 04-09-2018, 11:33 AM
familyman333
1st Gear
I'm a new R53 owner. What is the "one ball" mod?

Old 04-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Mspeer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by familyman333
The R53 has a muffler and a resonator under the trunk area. Muffler on the left and resonator on the right. Its common to remove the resonator use a small section of pipe to reconnect and just use the muffler. This gives a mildly louder exhaust pretty cheap.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:08 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by familyman333
Right here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-ball-mod.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Mspeer
2nd Gear
Finally got my exhaust installed. New Bosal muffler, new hanger and resonator delete. Its quieter than I wanted, but there are no rattles or leaks. The last working hanger gave up on me last week so I had to wire it up to get by. Local shop installed for just $60!