Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Bad head gasket... time to upgrade the head?

Old 02-14-2018, 07:46 PM
Dieseldeej
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad head gasket... time to upgrade the head?

Ok... here goes!

One of my r53’s is in need of a head gasket replacement... and also a manifold/header. Seems that the coolant leaked down and then went through the exhaust and clogged the cat. As the head will be coming off anyways am I better off purchasing a new performance head? Or should I go about having my head checked and if good then port and polish that, or leave it alone? I don’t plan on making the car in question much crazier than a bolt on car that may see some autocross as this one I more bought for my wife so we could go buzz around with our kids both driving MINI’s. I also have never wrenched on one of these this is my first go round! I have been reading as much as possible and I have looked through some threads so I apologize in advance if I missed this topic being covered before, but I really was interested in what some people have to say as I also have another r53 that will be geared more towards autocross and track car for myself. Thanks in advance guys!

Old 02-15-2018, 08:23 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
How deep down the rabbit hole are you interested in going? AKA, how much money are you interested in spending?

Old 02-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Dieseldeej
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don’t want to go to crazy with this one as my wife will probably drive it quite a bit to work when the weather is nice. Just figured if the heads going to come off it may be a good time to do some upgrades? If I’m better off leaving the head stock because it’s more trouble than it’s worth, then so be it. But if I can see a decent gain that doesn’t kill the street ability and low end then why not?