Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Head Gasket Replacement Analysis (pictures of gasket/block/head)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 04:06 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Head Gasket Replacement Analysis (pictures of gasket/block/head)

Hi all. Does anybody have any opinion on these? Anything stand out to anybody as majorly wrong?

Attached Thumbnails Head Gasket Replacement Analysis (pictures of gasket/block/head)-img_1644.jpg   Head Gasket Replacement Analysis (pictures of gasket/block/head)-img_1645.jpg   Head Gasket Replacement Analysis (pictures of gasket/block/head)-img_1646.jpg   Head Gasket Replacement Analysis (pictures of gasket/block/head)-img_1647.jpg   Head Gasket Replacement Analysis (pictures of gasket/block/head)-img_1648.jpg  

Last edited by CSP; 05-13-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:10 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Going to move this to the Problems/Issues folder.

I did not see anything that jumped out a me. Why did you remove? It appears on the 2nd picture, that the second cylinder from the right may have been leaking? Did you have any chocolate milkshake goo in the valve cover?

Modmini has a youtube vid on replacing the head gasket. Do you have straight edge to check if the heads are warped? He uses a Painters Guide to check.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:44 AM
50pascals
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Without having the parts in hand.....It looks like the Cylinder #1(?) Next to the timing chain had a coolant leak based on the deposits on the valves and the track through the compression ring contact. But I do not see the same track on your gasket pictures.

What do the exhaust ports look like? The cylinder with the coolant leak will have clean exhaust ports.

It looks like this port on the header is cleaner than the others.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:14 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by CSP
Hi all. Does anybody have any opinion on these? Anything stand out to anybody as majorly wrong?
Not completely sure of the precise point of head gasket failure, but I did notice what appears to be a crack in the head at the cylinder #1 spark plug location.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:40 PM
JaimeS
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow great catch!

Old 05-15-2017, 09:47 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
So I wasn't happy with how exhaust valves in cylinder 1 looked so I ordered another. In the down time, I figured I should take it to a shop and have them inspect it. So it's going to a local shop tonight.

Originally Posted by r53coop
Going to move this to the Problems/Issues folder.

I did not see anything that jumped out a me. Why did you remove? It appears on the 2nd picture, that the second cylinder from the right may have been leaking? Did you have any chocolate milkshake goo in the valve cover?

Modmini has a youtube vid on replacing the head gasket. Do you have straight edge to check if the heads are warped? He uses a Painters Guide to check.
Thanks for the tow. Removed due to coolant in cylinder 1. knew I had an oil leak into cylinder 1, too. I should've checked the rest of the cylinders for coolant before I ripped it apart but I didn't :/

I used a straight edge and it looked fine to me, but, as I said above, it's going to a shop for inspection. Took the head off with the help of modmini's video. <3 his stuff.

Originally Posted by 50pascals
Without having the parts in hand.....It looks like the Cylinder #1(?) Next to the timing chain had a coolant leak based on the deposits on the valves and the track through the compression ring contact. But I do not see the same track on your gasket pictures.

What do the exhaust ports look like? The cylinder with the coolant leak will have clean exhaust ports.

It looks like this port on the header is cleaner than the others.
Cyl 1 definitely had a leak. I didn't pay attention to the exhaust ports. I'll have a look when I get home.

Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
Not completely sure of the precise point of head gasket failure, but I did notice what appears to be a crack in the head at the cylinder #1 spark plug location.

You... Simultaneously ruined my week and completely made me happy that I decided not to just put everything back together. MFer, though. I really hope that can be welded. How did I not see that when I was looking in person at it? You're the man, though.

Originally Posted by JaimeS
Wow great catch!
Indeed.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:36 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by CSP
You... Simultaneously ruined my week and completely made me happy that I decided not to just put everything back together.
Sorry, and happy I could be of assistance...

Originally Posted by CSP
I really hope that can be welded. How did I not see that when I was looking in person at it?
Not sure of the process and/or success rate of welding an aluminum head...

Originally Posted by CSP
You're the man, though.
Thanks, and you're welcome... I think...