Drivetrain Evolve Automotive Tuning OBD 3rd Gen MINI!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 04:44 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Evolve Automotive Tuning OBD 3rd Gen MINI!

Like many tuners in the market now, Evolve Automotive also has the tools to fully tune via OBD II port. F-Series BMW got some love this month! No need to send in and open ECU as I have done in the past with my car. This sucked and my car was not drivable for a few days...

For those that know me already and have followed my build thread. My car is back to stock (apart from a muffler delete for some sound). I decided not to sell the car after all but now I am starting all over again... Different set up and different tuner to better understand the 3rd Gen MINI Platform and to make better recommendations on my findings. Going to try staying on stock airbox for the time being as I've heard that intakes don't make a huge difference for the money. Also, put on my custom turboback exhaust system to see if it makes any gains.

My plan:
1) Dyno of my fully stock 2016 MINI Cooper S (Refer to Post #58)
2) Dyno of my fully stock car with an Evolve Map (Refer to Post #58)
3) Dyno of my car with my Turboback Exhaust back on (Not doing anymore)
4) Dyno of my car with Turboback Exhaust and Evolve Map!! (Coming shortly!)
5) Various Videos and Pictures!

Same dyno each time. Important to look at Delta figures and not the actual numbers since there is variation between dynos.

Will be going live on Instagram if anyone wants to see.
IG: @john_totah

Dyno will be done by S&N Motorsport in Elk Grove, CA
They have an in-ground DynoJet purchased 2 years ago

Tuning done by Evolve Automotive UK
Remotely and loaded via laptop with the Evolve-R

UPDATE: REFER TO POST #58
Evolve Tune on Fully Stock Car (Apart from muffler delete).
**These figures are with California 91 Octane Fuel on a DynoJet"
Stock Run: 203whp 215wtq
Evolve Run: 249whp 366wtq

Gained 46whp 151wtq

Last edited by johntotah94; 01-09-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Updates!
Old 12-19-2017, 04:46 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Check out the video of Imran at Evolve UK!

Old 12-19-2017, 07:49 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
When is it coming and how much

Last edited by Mini_Vinnie; 01-09-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:54 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Just placed my order. I will be post a review once the tune is done.

Last edited by squawSkiBum; 12-19-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:25 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
http://www.evolvetuning.us/mini/mini...-ecu-tune.html

found this link on their US website. Hope that helps.
Let me know what you guys want to see when I load mine!

Old 12-20-2017, 11:11 AM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm so tempted to try this or the Bytetronik tune. If I didn't have to replace my tires, I'd probably bite the bullet.

Last edited by CooperT; 12-20-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:43 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperT
I'm so tempted to try this or the Bytetronik tune. If I didn't have to replace my tires, I'd probably bite the bullet.
Yeah tires expensive af! I am open to trying new things. I had a JB4, Bytetronik Tune, and now just ordered Evolve Automotive Tune.

Gonna try doing stock airbox with turboback and see how the car likes it.
Looking for drivability not peak numbers!

Old 12-20-2017, 05:58 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Almost 300hp on an S!

My god, ok, more info now! When is it coming and how much
Weren't you 2nd on the Bytetronik purchase??

Old 12-20-2017, 05:59 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
At what point is it too much HP for a B46/48??
How much can the internals deal with??

Old 12-20-2017, 06:01 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
In my experience, clutch is the weakest link. It was slipping for me on my previous tune. These cars make a ton of torque!

Old 12-20-2017, 06:01 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Weren't you 2nd on the Bytetronik purchase??

Yeah, I talked to a member I respect tremendously here and it set me straight

Old 12-20-2017, 06:06 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Yeah, I talked to a member I respect tremendously here and it set me straight
Hope you like it.
At least I get to see both sides. I had a bytetronik tune and made gobs of power. Lets see how Evolve does.
Like I said, I'm looking for drivability and not peak numbers so I expect the dyno graphs to look much different.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:25 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Does Evolve reveal their AFR targets?

Old 12-20-2017, 09:34 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Does Evolve reveal their AFR targets?
Not sure. Ill ask them to chime in on this thread to answer questions. They used to be active on NAM.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:24 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear

it’s here!!!

Old 12-23-2017, 08:45 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Cool. Looking forward to your impressions.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:07 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
I can confirm it is working via OBD II without an ECU Patch. Now just waiting for the maps to come in via email and I can report back!

Attached Thumbnails Evolve Automotive Tuning OBD 3rd Gen MINI!-screenshot.png  
Old 12-23-2017, 09:20 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Old 12-26-2017, 07:34 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
What were your impressions going from the JB4 to the Bytetronik and why the switch to Evolve versus tweaking the maps to suit what you need with Bytetronik?

Old 12-26-2017, 09:28 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
What were your impressions going from the JB4 to the Bytetronik and why the switch to Evolve versus tweaking the maps to suit what you need with Bytetronik?

JB4 was awesome. Loved the in dash map switching. Various menus. Boost Gauge on gas gauge. And pretty good power. Not to mention all the safety features! But didn’t like the idea of “fooling” the computer.

Bytetronik I loved the gun shot back fires and flames. Super cool. But ended up breaking a rod/piston on cyl 1 and blowing a hole through the block.

Was going to sell the car but I have a new engine now. So going to see what Evolve Automotive has to offer and taking a different route.

Last edited by johntotah94; 12-26-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 12-26-2017, 09:39 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by johntotah94
But ended up breaking a rod/piston on cyl 1 and blowing a hole through the block.
Do you know what caused this? Too aggressive a tune or something else?

Old 12-26-2017, 09:43 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Do you know what caused this? Too aggressive a tune or something else?
Not sure. I don't wanna point fingers. Could be a manufacturer defect from MINI for all I know. I sent my ECU back to them and they said via email that the calculated torque is about the same as the other cars (about 320 I believe). So they didn't think it was a power issue because thats what I thought originally.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:53 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by johntotah94
Not sure. I don't wanna point fingers. Could be a manufacturer defect from MINI for all I know. I sent my ECU back to them and they said via email that the calculated torque is about the same as the other cars (about 320 I believe). So they didn't think it was a power issue because thats what I thought originally.
So I was thinking about this some more this morning. Keep in mind I'm not playing BT's side or your side. Just putting my thoughts out there on the situation.

You have a giant custom 3" downpipe and also 3" intake, both of which are completely out of the ordinary for our cars in that no companies make parts of those diameters (possibly for good reason) and you are probably the only person running a downpipe and intake of those sizes. In my opinion both overkill for our engines.

Now you ran those parts with both the stock ECU and with the JB4 (correct me if I'm wrong). It is known that the JB4 even with FF wires can run on the lean side, and I bet with that intake and downpipe the stock ECU was also running on the lean side.

With the above the damage could already have been well on it's way before you got your BT tune. Engine internals could already have been weakened and damaged and then when you got the BT tune which probably provided more power than the JB4 it exposed those already weakened damage internals and pop.

This is just my opinion from my knowledge of tuning these mini's and also doing extensive tuning in the VW world for the last 15 years. I've seen people in the VW world with your exact situation running out of the ordinary setups, not optimized at all via the ECU for some time thus doing internal damage. Then they get a tune and the tune exposes those already damaged/weakened parts to no fault of the tune itself.

Sucks that it happened either way.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:49 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by trentiles
So I was thinking about this some more this morning. Keep in mind I'm not playing BT's side or your side. Just putting my thoughts out there on the situation.

You have a giant custom 3" downpipe and also 3" intake, both of which are completely out of my the ordinary for our cars in that no companies make parts of those diameters (possibly for good reason) and you are probably the only person running a downpipe and intake of those sizes. In my opinion both overkill for our engines.

Now you ran those parts with both the stock ECU and with the JB4 (correct me if I'm wrong). It is known that the JB4 even with FF wires can run on the lean side, and I bet with that intake and downpipe the stock ECU was also running on the lean side.

With the above the damage could already have been well on it's way before you got your BT tune. Engine internals could already have been weakened and damaged and then when you got the BT tune which probably provided more power than the JB4 it exposed those already weakened damage internals and pop.

This is just my opinion from my knowledge of tuning these mini's and also doing extensive tuning in the VW world for the last 15 years. I've seen people in the VW world with your exact situation running out of the ordinary setups, not optimized at all via the ECU for some time thus doing internal damage. Then they get a tune and the tune exposes those already damaged/weakened parts to no fault of the tune itself.

Sucks that it happened either way.
Thanks for your input. Yes I mentioned the intake and exhaust to them before I got the tune as we were talking on the phone for a good while about it. I have emails talking about the Intake MAF and exhaust setup and they advised not to worry about this at all. I’ve sent multiple Data logs along with videos to make sure everything was okay and they reviewed and confirmed it. They are very nice and helpful people with a very fast response time. There is no JB4 installed in conjunction with the tune. Motor blew at 15k miles. I had the JB4 for maybe 2k or 3k Miles. I actually sold the JB4 to pay for the tune lol. After the motor blew, I questioned whether it ran lean on a cylinder or the car had way too much power. I sent my ECU to them for analysis. I got a reply, “Your Cylinder-1 was not lean (nor was any other cylinder running lean for that matter); we can see all data from your trip event logger. It records over 10K individual measurement parameters with absolute engine running time.At the most, your car is making no more than 320 Wheel Torque; any higher than that, the car would have went into limp mode (remember these ECUs are running off of torque based values and maps). Had nothing to do with fuel mixture or timing. Boost wasn't even that high according to the trip event logger in EEPROM.”Like I said before. I am not blaming anyone. This is just what happened. I don’t know the reason. I don’t want to point fingers at BT or Burger or MINI. I am not that type of person. Let me know what you guys think. BT said power was about the same as their other cars, no cylinders went lean, boost wasn’t high, nothing to do with fuel mixuture or timing. So it could not even be the tunes fault. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. I have no idea.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:21 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm not talking about lean conditions when your motor popped. I'm talking about very possible long term lean conditions when you were running your custom intake and downpipe with the stock ECU and then later with the JB4, this could have put your engine in a bad place.

I could see both of those combinations creating constant lean conditions which in turn could have weakened your engine internals.

This is all just my idea's as to the situation.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Evolve Automotive Tuning OBD 3rd Gen MINI!