Drivetrain Evolve Automotive Tuning OBD 3rd Gen MINI!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 02:46 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Yeah. We noticed the taper on the upper RPMs. I got a new file that should have resolved this issue. Likely conservative tuning in the upper range for 91 octane fuel. I didn't believe the numbers either but the dyno's were ran back to back. The stock run seems to be accurate for a stock B46 (203whp 215wtq), then literally did the tuned map. No change of settings, car was still strapped down on the dyno, literally just hopped in with the laptop, loaded the tune (5 min), and did a few more runs.

Will try to get on the dyno again. Been so busy with my new job and moving. Hope I can update you guys soon. Haven't been driving hard either with my stock wheels and all season tires back on lol.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:22 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Will be back on the dyno tomorrow and will post sheet. I had a minor issue with the original map and now the car pulls hard to redline now. Ignore the original dyno sheet until tomorrow!

Old 03-06-2018, 11:10 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Here is the new dyno. Evolve VS Stock!
Very happy with this map. Very smooth. No massive boost spike in the beginning like many other tuners. While it felt great and torquey, I didn’t like the idea of losing top end power to have massive torque. And for the safety of my motor and clutch. Lol.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:24 AM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
solid gains!

is your file targeting a lower boost than the standard Evolve tune? From what I have been told from Evolve is that they target 21psi which is ~3psi more than Bytetronik.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:46 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Dyno looks smoother because smoothing is set to 5 while the last one you posted was 3. What's with the big surge at 4k instead of just being smooth curve?

Old 03-06-2018, 11:59 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear

Here you go. I saved them all.
Just did 5 for better readability.
hopefully others can post sheets from other tuners for comparison.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:05 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by charrigan
solid gains!

is your file targeting a lower boost than the standard Evolve tune? From what I have been told from Evolve is that they target 21psi which is ~3psi more than Bytetronik.
yes. Not sure how much. California has horrible fuel!! 91 octane with ethanol and emission stuff lol. When I had the standard Evolve map. It made 366wtq if I remember correctly. Very powerful! But had some peaks because I think the car was pulling timing from bad fuel. No misfiring or anything. I wanted to be on the safe side especially since the car is basically stock and I already had a previous blown motor from an aggressive tune. Maybe if I run E85 or 93 octane, I’ll be more confident pushing more power from the car. But not with California 91! Lmao

Old 03-24-2018, 07:36 AM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
I see a video and Dyno showing 302hp on a JCW with no hardware mods. Can I expect the same on a US spec JCW on 93 AKI gas?

--Matt

Last edited by mattkosem; 03-24-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:41 PM
pucka87
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 Cooper S failed Evolve tune

Hey!

Has anyone had issues with loading the stock file sent by the evolve team? I’ve tried flashing the car twice now and both times the programming gets stuck before disconnecting and leaving the car crippled. The Evolve team has been super helpful in trying to help but they haven’t been able to figure out what’s causing the problem. Both times I had to send the car to the shop to get a full ECU reprogramming. It’s getting expensive and I really want to be able to flash the tune

Old 05-07-2018, 06:28 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by pucka87
Hey!

Has anyone had issues with loading the stock file sent by the evolve team? I’ve tried flashing the car twice now and both times the programming gets stuck before disconnecting and leaving the car crippled. The Evolve team has been super helpful in trying to help but they haven’t been able to figure out what’s causing the problem. Both times I had to send the car to the shop to get a full ECU reprogramming. It’s getting expensive and I really want to be able to flash the tune
The latest software update for the car from MINI has broken some OBD-port flash tunes. For example, I have a Bytetronik tune awaiting, but since I have the newer software on the car, I can’t do OBD unlock; I need to ship my ECU to them to be unlocked on the workbench. I had a longish conversation with Mike there, and he explained that something about the new software causes the unlock to fail AND leaves the various other computers in a shut-down state. At that point you pretty much need to have a MINI dealer reinitialize the whole mess.

What you are describing with Evolve’s tune sounds an awful lot like what Mike described to me. I would guess they may have the same root problem.

(Hopefully this is a temporary problem, and the company that makes the underlying software and hardware for the OBD tunes will adapt to the problem and fix it in an update. Most of the OBD tunes for F-series car all run on the same hardware/software platform from the same vendor.)

Old 05-07-2018, 06:32 PM
pucka87
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling
The latest software update for the car from MINI has broken some OBD-port flash tunes. For example, I have a Bytetronik tune awaiting, but since I have the newer software on the car, I can’t do OBD unlock; I need to ship my ECU to them to be unlocked on the workbench. I had a longish conversation with Mike there, and he explained that something about the new software causes the unlock to fail AND leaves the various other computers in a shut-down state. At that point you pretty much need to have a MINI dealer reinitialize the whole mess.

What you are describing with Evolve’s tune sounds an awful lot like what Mike described to me. I would guess they may have the same root problem.

(Hopefully this is a temporary problem, and the company that makes the underlying software and hardware for the OBD tunes will adapt to the problem and fix it in an update. Most of the OBD tunes for F-series car all run on the same hardware/software platform from the same vendor.)
What you say makes a lot of sense. The dealership updated the software on my car about two moths ago. I’ll talk to the guys at Evolve to see if I can send the ecu to them to bench flash. Thank you!

Old 05-07-2018, 06:52 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear

Your probably correct. Evolve-R, FlashAccess, and some other ones (can’t remember off the top) are all the exact same software. Just have different pictures on the title page saying “Evolve” or “Bytetronik”. Same engineers, same cables, just different brand. Back end to flash the maps are all the same but maps are very different as this is what the companies custom make.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:31 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Whenever I have to go to the dealership I stress about 10 times, don't touch the ECU.

Basically, I tell them its because I have to go back to work (thankfully I've only been there for my "free oil changes") and I always wait so they don't have free time to accidentally upgrade my ECU.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:16 AM
hadjiikong
3rd Gear
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Great just had mine in a month ago and they did a software update. Guess I will be waiting for the BT tune now.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:23 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

This is the software/hardware combo that gave us issues in the past; we call it the PITA Version. If you don't have version, then we're good to go with the OBD2 Flashing/Programming:
HWEL : 000011D9_002_019_007 BTLD : 0000208C_002_059_005 SWFL1 : 0000360A_109_030_001