Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain reverse water flow

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:20 AM
Yyrd
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
reverse water flow

I been thinking about reversing the flow of the water so the water cools the head first. as GM did with the LS1. idea is it will provide a cooler head, hence lower detonate chance.

I already have a electric water pump. and will need to run it to the head, and switch the thermostat to the lower block. and lost of fun piping.

what does anybody think on this?

Old 09-09-2017, 07:27 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Could you get a reverse polarity pump and just make a housing for the t-stat that sits outside the original mounting point? Would need to make sure there are no back check valves anywhere in the system.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:27 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
cooler heads don't always prevail

Originally Posted by Yyrd
I been thinking about reversing the flow of the water so the water cools the head first. as GM did with the LS1. idea is it will provide a cooler head, hence lower detonate chance.

I already have a electric water pump. and will need to run it to the head, and switch the thermostat to the lower block. and lost of fun piping.

what does anybody think on this?
I don't mean this to be an attack. But I would wonder if I would think I know better than the BMW/Mini/Chrysler/Rover engineers. Cooler heads don't always prevail. Just think of what if the features in the coolant path may not be designed for reverse flow. The radiator is one such instance.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 09-09-2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: add last sentence
Old 09-09-2017, 09:56 AM
pnwR53S
I probably should have cite the thermostat as a first consideration as the dire consequence of reversing the flow direction, if nothing is done about it orientation.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:09 AM
Yyrd
3rd Gear
if we follow bmw engineers as the last say so, we all have 167 horsepower.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Yyrd
3rd Gear
i would print a new Thermostats housing to mate to the current waterpump location. and move the waterpump to the current positioning on the head. then flip the radiator hoses

Old 09-09-2017, 01:58 PM
pnwR53S
So your notion for the justification for reversing the flow is you think it tend to negate knocks. The problems for the engineers are, they have to worry about the recurring cost, driveability for everywhere the crap Mini is sold, emission, reliability, economy, over your citing of you think lower head temperature will tend to negate tendency for knock.

If you think it is so easy to swap the intake and outlet of the radiator do show us how you manage to do that.

Is lower head temperature better? It would depends on your perspective and lucky you, you don't need to worry about corporate CAFE, thermodynamic efficiency, warranty claims, and regulatory requirements? Is your motivation solely based on your notion that lower head temperature, the less tendency for knock? Are you experiencing head temperature limitations because you are pushing the envelope of HP/liter that no one has gone before?

Are you ready to instrument to measure the temperature of various points of the engine to ensure you are not compromise reliability over your believe that lower the head temp the better? I would worry that by reversing the flow direction, the side effects of unintended hot spots.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:17 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Some good responses here, going to move to the Mod Section.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
It's a "thing" in the Miata community. At least for high boost applications.
That is all.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:02 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 148 Posts
Yyrd, what mods do you have or have planned that would warrant and justify such an undertaking? "Inquiring minds want to know".

Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Interested for science.

PNW has some good points.