Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain muffler and resonator delete?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 04:06 PM
minihoon
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
muffler and resonator delete?

Im wondering if anyone here has gotten a muffler and resonator delete done to there r53 and was wondering the pros and cons of it. I would also like to know if anyone knows how much this would cost me at a shop.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:37 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Moving you to the Mod Drivetrain section. If you have not already done so, suggest you check that section out as there are numerous threads on the mufflers of our Gen1 cars.

Remember that the forced induction engine we have likes a little back pressure from the exhaust. Sometimes the louder muffler is actually decreasing the torque/hp.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:48 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
wide open exhaust

As far as I know in most jurisdictions a muffler is required for road cars. I would not want you to be my neighbor or colleague if your car has no muffler.

Having said that I would come clean that I ran my Mini without a muffler or resonator in my driveway for may be 15 seconds just to annoy my neighbors.

That was when I was in the middle of performing the one ball mod and I wanted to know how loud it is.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 09-06-2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: add link and coming clean
Old 09-18-2017, 04:57 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's going to sound like *****, it's a 4 cylinder, not a Big Block that would sound decent with straights. If your state doesn't require, I would possibly remove the cat, and create my own custom exhaust. There's plenty of info on here and the web regarding custom builds.

Then you can say you did it yourself, you're the only one with that set-up, and it'll be cheaper than a kit that cost too much. I know that's what I'd do.

Custom​ all the way!

Old 09-19-2017, 07:13 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Not sure it would sound bad... it is a fairly wide bore on the cylinder... may give a good sound. I would think that it would need to have fairly thick gage piping to get a tone though.