Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain noob tuning questions for an old guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 03:53 PM
signcarver
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
noob tuning questions for an old guy

Here's my story and questions...

I drive my car every day but i don't track or autocross.

I only have one performance mod, which is the Helix intercooler.

I keep cars 7-10 years and care for them very well. Being 71, this is possibly my last car...

I drive aggressively but pretty much like an old man, i.e. i never even come close to redlining. Somebody is going to get one cool f$cking GP when i kick off...

So a few questions assuming i choose a Manic Stage 2 tune:
  • Is my engine life going to be shortened? This may not matter. At my age i quit buying extended warranties.
  • Do i need a catless downpipe for the tune to be effective
  • With a catless downpipe will my car pass New Jersey emissions?
  • Oh, and just fyi i'm going to do the Akrapovic exhaust soon.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:37 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Well sounds great that you want to mod and enjoy your MINI.

But doesn't sound like you need a stg 2 tune with the way you drive. I would say just go with the Stage 1 tune, then if you do feel later you need more power you can upgrade for just the $100 to the stg 2.

To get the most out of a stage 1 or 2 you do want the downpipe as that will help turbo spool and make power. We don't recommend doing a stage 2 unless you have a downpipe anyway.

Let us know when your ready for the tune as we do a 24hr or less turn around.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...-cooper-s.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-05-2017, 07:31 PM
signcarver
4th Gear
Thank you Way

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Well sounds great that you want to mod and enjoy your MINI.

But doesn't sound like you need a stg 2 tune with the way you drive. I would say just go with the Stage 1 tune, then if you do feel later you need more power you can upgrade for just the $100 to the stg 2.

To get the most out of a stage 1 or 2 you do want the downpipe as that will help turbo spool and make power. We don't recommend doing a stage 2 unless you have a downpipe anyway.

Let us know when your ready for the tune as we do a 24hr or less turn around.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...-cooper-s.html
Thank you for the quick reply Way. I will be ordering the Akrapovic exhaust shortly. Per your suggestion, won't do the tune for now. That's kind of the answer i was expecting. Appreciate your help!

Old 07-06-2017, 05:57 AM
mashby
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by signcarver
Here's my story and questions...
  • With a catless downpipe will my car pass New Jersey emissions?
You need to check with your State/County/City emission regulations to verify if this is allowed.

For reference, here in Nashville, TN any county that is adjacent to Davidson County requires a cat. Anyone who does these types of mods registers their car in an outlying county.

I have no idea how to move your registration to another county, but if you're thinking of using a catless downpipe you'll want to make sure it'll pass inspection in your area.

The following users liked this post:
signcarver (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Other owners in NJ report that Manic tune will allow you to pass emissions with either the high flow cat from akrapovic or a catless downpipe. Without the tune you definitely will not pass.

I have a 2013 N18 MCS with the Manic Stg2 tune set on Map B. I also have the full akrapovic system including high flow DP plus a larger intercooler and methanol injection along with the JCW turbo. Will eventually go to an even larger turbo after I build the engine.

I believe that you will not significantly decrease in engine reliability with either the stage 1 or 2. It's not until people go to larger turbos and stage 3 without upgrading the engine internals do they sometimes have problems.

I too plan on keeping the car 10+ years (if not forever) since it's not needed as a daily driver.

signcarver (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 12:50 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've put nearly 60k miles on a stage 2 tuned car if you're worried about lifespan, just keep up with maintenance...oils, filters, spark plugs

signcarver (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 04:06 AM
signcarver
4th Gear
Thank you mashby

Originally Posted by mashby
You need to check with your State/County/City emission regulations to verify if this is allowed.

For reference, here in Nashville, TN any county that is adjacent to Davidson County requires a cat. Anyone who does these types of mods registers their car in an outlying county.

I have no idea how to move your registration to another county, but if you're thinking of using a catless downpipe you'll want to make sure it'll pass inspection in your area.
I will investigate. New Jersey reduced the number of items it inspects but it still checks emissions.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:11 AM
signcarver
4th Gear
Thank you cerenkov

Originally Posted by cerenkov
Other owners in NJ report that Manic tune will allow you to pass emissions with either the high flow cat from akrapovic or a catless downpipe. Without the tune you definitely will not pass.

I have a 2013 N18 MCS with the Manic Stg2 tune set on Map B. I also have the full akrapovic system including high flow DP plus a larger intercooler and methanol injection along with the JCW turbo. Will eventually go to an even larger turbo after I build the engine.

I believe that you will not significantly decrease in engine reliability with either the stage 1 or 2. It's not until people go to larger turbos and stage 3 without upgrading the engine internals do they sometimes have problems.

I too plan on keeping the car 10+ years (if not forever) since it's not needed as a daily driver.
Thanks for the encouraging info on New Jersey emissions.

I put fewer than 10k miles per year and i would not do anything more than a stage 2, probably just a stage 1 based on Way's input.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:13 AM
signcarver
4th Gear
Thank you randeez!

Originally Posted by randeez
I've put nearly 60k miles on a stage 2 tuned car if you're worried about lifespan, just keep up with maintenance...oils, filters, spark plugs
That is encouraging! I faithfully keep up with all maintenance.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:21 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
The Akrapovic high flow cat will also pass the visual inspection. It looks pretty much OEM.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:51 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by signcarver
Thanks for the encouraging info on New Jersey emissions.

I put fewer than 10k miles per year and i would not do anything more than a stage 2, probably just a stage 1 based on Way's input.
How about an update on your decisions and progress?

Old 11-05-2017, 01:05 PM
signcarver
4th Gear
exhaust installed, still deciding on Manic tune.

Originally Posted by bugeye1031
How about an update on your decisions and progress?
The Akrapovic exhaust was installed last week. So far, the exhaust note is deeper, but quieter than the stock GP exhaust. Pops and burbles are still there too, same as exhaust note, deeper and quieter.

If i do any tune it will be Manic Stage 1 only.