Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Harrop TVS900 Supercharger KIT!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:08 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Harrop TVS900 Supercharger KIT!?

Pretty straightforward, I mean these little curve hugging rockets are just too much fun not to modify. Whether it's only $20 or $2,000, what's ​next for your MINI?

I guess I'll start, this being more of a down the line, smash the piggy bank, eat Ramen noodles, and work 3 jobs type of deal.

I want this:
Ohhh yes!Harrop TVS900 Supercharger kit!
What a beauty!

Spoiler

The supercharger is the M45's bigger brother, instead of the previous 3 lobe design the TVS900 is equipped with 4! The kit comes with a cast aluminium throttle body adapter, billet outlet adapter and heater hose adapter! Replacement electric water pump! Straight bolt on upgrade.

The new TVS900 Supercharger Kit is the result of an exhaustive research and development process aimed at delivering an affordable solution for R53 Mini Cooper S owners who are seeking greater performance or a direct replacement for the factory fitted M45 Supercharger.

The TVS900 Supercharger Kit utilises the latest Eaton TVS supercharger technology and provides superior performance when compared to the smaller, 5th generation M45 supercharger factory fitted to the R53 Mini. A significant benefit of TVS technology is the transition to four lobe rotors providing a 160 degree helix, as well as revised inlet and outlet port geometry to achieve greater thermal and volumetric efficiency. Being a larger displacement than the M45 unit, the TVS900 also provides higher performance potential for modified engine packages.

Through extensive packaging analysis, the Harrop TVS900 Supercharger is of OE appearance and mounts in the factory M45 supercharger position using the factory 6PK belt path and tensioner. Along with the Harrop manufactured Supercharger housing, the kit comes complete with a cast aluminium throttle body adapter, billet outlet adapter and heater hose adapter, replacement electric water pump and all ancillary items to suit stock and aftermarket top mount intercoolers, ensuring this is a complete bolt-on kit.

Last edited by Andrew Riley; 06-16-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:42 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I bet that thing heatsoaks just as bad as the stock blower too. But it's cool the aftermarket is still developing stuff like this for our old R53. I'll add this to my list too.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:03 AM
GTI-UP
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I cant afford the whole system right now, but I really want that water pump system. I looks clean, it's metal and tucks away well.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sevin
I bet that thing heatsoaks just as bad as the stock blower too. But it's cool the aftermarket is still developing stuff like this for our old R53. I'll add this to my list too.
Right, I was so excited when I saw this, a new supercharger for our R53'S! We're not forgotten! And c'mon guys with an aluminum inlet tube - no more stupid green gasket, therefore more efficient and less possibilities of air leaking. That's genius.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:53 PM
sevin
6th Gear
It's especially cool that it's totally bolt-on. Comes with everything you need and then some.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:36 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Just found pricing. It's $4,620. The Sprintex kit is $2,495. That's a pretty steep difference.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:55 PM
1qwkmini
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
That is AUS$...you can get it in the US for $3150...much better kit than Sprintex, and the electric water pump setup is worth roughly $500 to replicate.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:57 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 1qwkmini
That is AUS$...you can get it in the US for $3150...much better kit than Sprintex, and the electric water pump setup is worth roughly $500 to replicate.
Where did you find that pricing? I'm just going off the Harrop website.

What's so much better about the TVS kit? Not much in the way of specs for either unit that I can find.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:07 PM
1qwkmini
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Harrop is in AUS. Kit is available from a US seller/dealer..leave that to you to find...since it not a vendor here.

The fellows car in the video is on a UK mini site Trackmini...with all his data. Last look he was making around 270HP with E85...but still having problems with his car and getting past 15 PSI of boost. Seems like nothing to do with the S/C since he is running an average size pulley.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:44 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
The TVS will actually run cooler than the M45, but as it is in most cases with our cars and replacement S/C's, it all comes down to the tuning and how well the ECU can or will adapt to changes in the way the S/C makes boost.

I can't speak for the TVS, but problems or not, the one thing about the Sprintex option is that it will run with minimal and well known changes to the ECU.

The ECU has always been the monkey wrench in the works when it comes to any change in induction on our cars, Sprintex, TVS, Rotrex or Turbo.

I do however like the idea of the remotely mounted EWP better than where the Sprintex kit mounts there's, it would probably be much more convenient if there was a failure.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 06-18-2017 at 12:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ericmini (08-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2017, 02:18 AM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
The TVS will actually run cooler than the M45, but as it is in most cases with our cars and replacement S/C's, it all comes down to the tuning and how well the ECU can or will adapt to changes in the way the S/C makes boost.

I can't speak for the TVS, but problems or not, the one thing about the Sprintex option is that it will run with minimal and well known changes to the ECU.

The ECU has always been the monkey wrench in the works when it comes to any change in induction on our cars, Sprintex, TVS, Rotrex or Turbo.

I do however like the idea of the remotely mounted EWP better than where the Sprintex kit mounts there's, it would probably be much more convenient if there was a failure.
Major key to this supercharger is 4 lobes to turbine air vs. 3 with the the M45 .

You hit the nail on the head as well, EACH tuning is key to get the most performance out of many upgrades!

Water pump = Major convenience factor indeed. If only the R53's came with an electric water pump standard. I mean damn, didn't think factor in the SC pulley is not only spinning the SC but ALSO a damn water pump. Spinning a properly operating water pump takes a great deal of power that could go to the SC. Seems a bit lazy, and last minute, like the engineer's said "Screw it, ok that'll do" to me.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:19 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Andrew Riley

You hit the nail on the head as well, EACH tuning is key to get the most performance out of many upgrades!
If you were going to use a stand alone solution, then this looks to be a decent kit, at least it is a kit, other than the Sprintex, no one else offers an actual kit for induction options, so this is way ahead of the game.

Big problem with our cars and the ECU isn't even the performance aspect of the tuning, it's the everyday, the way Siemens adaptations overwrite changes in the closed loop maps is what makes tuning our cars so difficult.

I'm waiting to see how these do, I love an S/C car, and the more options the better.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:44 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Are there any spec's on how much boost/power it makes over the stock blower?

Old 06-28-2017, 03:30 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Are there any spec's on how much boost/power it makes over the stock blower?
The video showed it making a little over 16psi boost and 188hp at the wheels.......doesn't sound like much of an improvement for $3,000+ price tag.

Can't you pretty much do the same thing with a 17% pulley for under $100?

The following users liked this post:
gumbedamit (06-30-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 05:49 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
The video showed it making a little over 16psi boost and 188hp at the wheels.......doesn't sound like much of an improvement for $3,000+ price tag.

Can't you pretty much do the same thing with a 17% pulley for under $100?
That's with the stock 70mm pulley. Harrop says the minimum is a 55mm, so that may be something like 23 psi. This blower is .2L bigger than the stock M45 and it should be much more thermally efficient. I guess we won't know until we see more cars running them. I plan to pick up a kit next year.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:57 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
For $3000......I hope it's capable of making a stock 190-ish HP MINI S into at least a 250+HP machine. That's a lot of money for something with no good performance data on it.

Couldn't you accomplish the same thing for less money with a BVH, pulley, cam, and tune?

Old 06-30-2017, 12:24 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
For $3000......I hope it's capable of making a stock 190-ish HP MINI S into at least a 250+HP machine. That's a lot of money for something with no good performance data on it.

Couldn't you accomplish the same thing for less money with a BVH, pulley, cam, and tune?
Basically yes, +/- a few hp, and here in lies the rub, when talking about getting over 250whp with an induction change, you still need to do a Head, so the $ factor changes considerably.

IMO, if your goal is HP, an induction change should be the last piece of the puzzle, anything reliable over 250whp with a 1st gen is going to be expensive, no matter how you get there.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:37 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The price of some BVH's are $2000-2500 plus your core.. Then you'll need a tune of course, and why put the stock cam back in there so there's another $400 or so.. bigger injectors, might as well add a header, now your into the $4000 plus range assuming you do all the labor.. but with a good tune you should be in the 250-275 HP range on stock SC...

Old 06-30-2017, 11:48 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Honestly it's not $3k for the TVS kit, it's $3k for the kit if you don't need an S/C, or if just want to use it as a power adder, but if you already need an S/C and think you may try and make big power down the road, then it's only whatever it costs over re-doing an M45.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:51 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Honestly it's not $3k for the TVS kit, it's $3k for the kit if you don't need an S/C, or if just want to use it as a power adder, but if you already need an S/C and think you may try and make big power down the road, then it's only whatever it costs over re-doing an M45.
Have people been able to make tunes for the TVS kit that allow the car to be a daily driver? No weird issues with the DME not liking the turbo, or any other tuning issues? It seems like tuning on these cars is always the holdup when it comes to putting a turbo on them......

Old 07-05-2017, 05:30 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
RMW sells it in the us, and they also have a front mount setup if you want to make more power

I believe he said a 20 hp gain on a car that was built up running an M45 and staying top mount, and quite a bit more gain if going for the front mount

I've not seen his price for the front mount, or if it needs a vipec

Old 07-15-2017, 05:18 AM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Quite a few of us already have the bigger head, cam, injectors, headers, exhaust and tuning capability from Bytetronic. I wonder if this would be a better alternative than the Sprintex?

Old 07-15-2017, 04:50 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Theoretically it has the potential to be pretty good, but you'd still have to go in with the mindset that the kit and S/C is still relatively new for the Mini, and with new items there are bound to be growing pains and unexpected issues.
Honestly though, for guys like us that aren't afraid to be guinea pigs, it probably wouldn't be any worse than any other "let's try something that may not be ready for mass consumption yet" project.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:26 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Theoretically it has the potential to be pretty good, but you'd still have to go in with the mindset that the kit and S/C is still relatively new for the Mini, and with new items there are bound to be growing pains and unexpected issues.
Honestly though, for guys like us that aren't afraid to be guinea pigs, it probably wouldn't be any worse than any other "let's try something that may not be ready for mass consumption yet" project.
Is it really that new? I've seen videos on RMW's YouTube channel of the TVS installed on a car from a DECADE ago. They must have ironed out the bugs since then. Plus, it's made by the OEM of the M45, right?

Old 07-18-2017, 05:08 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sevin
Is it really that new? I've seen videos on RMW's YouTube channel of the TVS installed on a car from a DECADE ago. They must have ironed out the bugs since then. Plus, it's made by the OEM of the M45, right?
It's not a new S/C model, it's new as far as a kit and R&D for the Mini.
Yes, it's an Eaton product, I think it's what GM was using on the S/C Cobalts and such, but not sure if it was the 900 model.

Same as the Sprintex and the Rotrex, if you look back far enough, your bound to find the R&D that RMW did on it also, it usually does take at least a few years for the new products to be worked out for mass consumption.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Harrop TVS900 Supercharger KIT!?