05 pepper white MCS modification project - Page 14 - North American Motoring

Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

05 pepper white MCS modification project

Old 02-14-2018, 09:30 AM
6th Gear

found a brass hammer

I have mentioned not too long ago I was thinking of getting a brass hammer for inspections. I found one, somewhere missing in action in my possession.

I was browsing some long lost photos of a past project and here it is, a bloody brass hammer that I forgotten that I own. How it came into my possession? When I bought my first tiny house, the previous owner was a Norwegian old man. I would only learnt of his unfortunately death later in which he was killed while riding a bicycle. From what I could pieced together based on the workshop in the basement (he dug with bare hands after the house was built) and the collection of hand tools, he must had worked in Portland's heavy industry as a skilled blue collar worker. He was already deceased when the house went onto the market.

a bloody brass hammer

Like many of his tools, this one also have the hallmark of modified or purpose made instead of store bought. I still have to locate where it is in the house.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:19 AM
6th Gear

Found! It is carefully filed away in the garden studio. The brass head is 6.6 oz, just a bit shy of my desired 8 oz. It had been well used. I would prefer it has a wood handle for better balance but can't argue for something that is free.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:43 PM
6th Gear

a few more photos

A few more fotos of Desire frolicking at the waterfront.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 02-15-2018 at 09:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to pnwR53S For This Useful Post:
MiniTigger (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:31 AM
6th Gear

i cover the waterfront

When I wrote the previous post, I had a subliminal thought of John Lee Hooker's "I cover the Waterfront" in my head that couldn't be shaken off. I struggled with the tagline to use, and may be in retrospect, "the street car named Desire covers the waterfront" be better than "A few more fotos of Desire frolicking at the waterfront"? Anyway, here is it is. I would love to play this with the Mini cruising the waterfront.

so so soulful of mister hooker that makes my heart bleed

when I first moved to the Bridgetown, I lived in the McCormick Pier for a while and I always love the riverfront's heavy industrial district; alas this area is being gentrified and have steadily losing the characters what make the city attractive

Last edited by pnwR53S; 02-17-2018 at 10:36 PM. Reason: replaced photo
Old 02-16-2018, 10:37 PM
6th Gear

smart pet

A Friday night shopping trip turns into a joyride. I wasn't planning to take these photos. As I glanced back to see if the Mini is secure as I have some stuff in the boot from shopping. I was a kind of like the impersonal and anonymity of the night scene at a America's ugly strip mall. I whipped out the iPhone and snapped a few shots. I was also curious if the photo would be extremely grainy in such low light. I came home and looked at them on the big display and I am very surprised how sharp they are except one.

being photogenic at night is a pepper white privilege ; all minis are born equal but some are more equal than others

smart pet with a pet smart backdrop

also fed Mini by filling him up - 22.2666 MPG

Last edited by pnwR53S; 02-17-2018 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:17 PM
6th Gear

joystick displacement compare

Before seriously considering investing (more like pour money down the drain) on a short shifter I want to get some quantitative numbers. My point of reference is the Porsche GT4. It has the best gear shift of all cars that I have ever driven. It is precise, short throws, smooth, and most important has the best snap action moving in and out of a gear. There is no vagueness to it, and the force requires is neither too light or too heavy. It is very hard to describe the tactile as well as the audible feedback.

First, here are some quantitative measurements comparing the Mini to the Porsche. For me longer throw distance is not necessary a big negative within reason. So too is the reach from steering wheel hold to the gear shift ****, again within reason. As you change the factory shifter to an aftermarket one to change some of these attributes, inevitably other attributes like force and feel will change. If you think Mini gear throw is too long, check out this $250k Alfa GTA and no doubt there is no lack of fun with the foot long shift throws.

M = Mini and P = Porsche

I drew this on an iPad with apple pencil and the result is not exactly art and that 6-year-old hand writing is no calligraphy

If you are interested in how the Coolerworx shifter is like, MartijnGizmo just posted a video in his thread over at Minitorque.

Speaking of calligraphy, happy lunar new year. It is the year of the dog. Is Mini a hog or bull dog, or just a bullying hog?

Last edited by pnwR53S; 02-17-2018 at 10:40 PM. Reason: add link to MartijnGizmo's thread
Old 02-18-2018, 08:25 AM
6th Gear

I wanted to post this auto **** of the Porsche's drivetrain showing the gear shift mechanism. It has two mile-long cables similar to Mini. One can also see their connections to two linkages at the gearbox. The weights for the fore/aft gear throw aren't that big.

A few other interesting things are:
  • plastic clutch slave cylinder
  • hydraulic engine mounts the engine is suspended rather than sitting on top
Old 02-18-2018, 10:38 AM
6th Gear

like a rifle bolt

I am rewatching a few videos, and one that is highly relevant is this video of Evo's interview of Porsche GT car design chef Andeas Preuninger on the design of the 911R, a car that is designed for the driving purists rather than trackrats, where he talks about the gear shifter. In his words it is like a rifle bolt. I am not a gun nut, but I keep an open mind for anything that is physics, science, design, and controlled pyrotechnics especially internal. Only recently because Mini and I were bored, that I went to hand hold and handle a few AR-15 rifles at Cabelas.

to spare you the hardship of putting up with the boring video at 9:17 is where he talks about the gear shifter - which he describes it is like a rifle bolt and I totally get that (and I don't have a rifle )

Last edited by pnwR53S; 02-18-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM
6th Gear

warming up to a short shifter

I have been thinking about a short shifter a long time, and done significant research. It is now down to the qualitative tactile feel and sound. I went and took the videos of rowing through the gears in the Porsche and the Mini in soon-to-be boy racer fashion. That is shifting through the gears with the engine off. Compared mine videos to that of MartijnGizmo's video of the Coolerworx gives me very good idea what to expect. With this exercise it becomes clear to me that I want to get the Coolerworx and willing to butcher into the center console.

this is the Porsche GT4 which I used as reference

this is the R53 Mini stock

this is MartjinGizmo's video over at Minitorque

As you can see the sound and feel of the stock Mini shifter is dull and lack definition when snaps into gear. It does not have the satisfying tight sound of the Porsche's and the Coolerworx's. In fact the Coolerworx's tight "slick" "slick" sounds better than that of the Porsche's.

Since I decided to go ahead and get the Coolerworx, I reached out to them to explore a small group buy discount. Once I have the specifics I will update this Coolerworx shifter thread.

Last edited by pnwR53S; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.