Drivetrain F56 help, mods for daily w some track days?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 10:41 AM
cdninsw
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F56 help, mods for daily w some track days?

Hey guys.

I just put Michelin PSS on stock rims on my 2014 F56 'S'.

I have another $1500 to spend and looking for suggestions. This is my daily drive but I want to do occasional track days. I'm wondering what you'd recommend as best first few upgrade options for the $$ available.

I guess this is a two part question
1) what are the first 2, 3 or 4 upgrades (or what are the "biggest" weaknesses of the stock F56)?
2) suggestions for upgrade parts?

I think I'd rather do a few upgrades with "really good" parts rather than a single upgrade with one ultimate killer part.

FYI - If suspension, then I want something with adjustable firmness for daily vs. track. Other then that, I'm open.

I did a quick search and it seems to be mostly R** models, or threads about a specific upgrade. If there is a thread already I'd appreciate a link to it.
Many thanks!

Last edited by cdninsw; 04-07-2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-07-2017, 02:31 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Tuning module would be my first suggestion. 5 minute install for +30-40 HP/TQ at an affordable price. Changes your track experience for sure.

Rear sway bar is another popular easy upgrade. Changes how your car will handle on the track

Old 04-07-2017, 02:54 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
i've done 5 track events on my F56 with 11 total days. while the tuning module helped a bit, my biggest improvement came from these installs
- improved my tires (PSS should be fine so good job there)..i went with Toyo R888r's
- better brake pads / better brake fluid - i'm on carbotech XP10 fronts with XP8 rears on Motul RBF600...i went through brake fade my first 2 events.
- Bilstein PSS10 - by far the best thing i ever did. driving around town i have it at 1 in the front and 3 in the rear. at the track i go to 7 front with 9 in the rear and it transforms the car completely. i feel like my control/speed at the turns has improved/increased dramatically.

my thing is that the track is not about attaining high speed. eventually yes, but i'd want to focus on improving my turns and braking and THEN increasing speed. instructors always tell me the best way to improve time is to increase your apex speed...that's achieved with better tires/brakes/suspension. that will inevitably lead to improved exit/straightaway speeds.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:18 PM
cdninsw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Tuning module would be my first suggestion. 5 minute install for +30-40 HP/TQ at an affordable price. Changes your track experience for sure.

Rear sway bar is another popular easy upgrade. Changes how your car will handle on the track

Nice, siriuszero! Both are on my "To Do" list.

Are there a particular couple of Tuning Modules you suggest?

Old 04-07-2017, 03:29 PM
cdninsw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
i've done 5 track events on my F56 with 11 total days. while the tuning module helped a bit, my biggest improvement came from these installs
- improved my tires (PSS should be fine so good job there)..i went with Toyo R888r's
- better brake pads / better brake fluid - i'm on carbotech XP10 fronts with XP8 rears on Motul RBF600...i went through brake fade my first 2 events.
- Bilstein PSS10 - by far the best thing i ever did. driving around town i have it at 1 in the front and 3 in the rear. at the track i go to 7 front with 9 in the rear and it transforms the car completely. i feel like my control/speed at the turns has improved/increased dramatically.

Hey MarcoPolo, these parts are also on my "To Do" list.
I'll be needing brake pads soon so that's an easy one. I'm considering EBC Yellowstuff.
I like suspension mods but the Bilstein PSS10's are out of my price range so I need something similar but lower cost.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:35 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by cdninsw
Nice, siriuszero! Both are on my "To Do" list.

Are there a particular couple of Tuning Modules you suggest?
There are three popular ones (NM, Burgertuning, Dinan). There are many many many posts on each you can search, so I won't go into it here. I have the NM one myself and have always been happy with it. Burgertuning is the most versatile, and Dinan has app functionality.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:56 PM
cdninsw
1st Gear
I would love coilovers but not in the budget for a long while yet. Any thoughts on using adjustable sport struts/shocks with stock springs? I do want the option to adjust firmness for daily vs. track.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:52 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Lowering springs (if you get justify coilovers) sway bar and chip. It should be close to $1000

I would love coilovers but not in the budget for a long while yet. Any thoughts on using adjustable sport struts/shocks with stock springs? I do want the option to adjust firmness for daily vs. track.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:24 PM
cdninsw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Lowering springs (if you get justify coilovers) sway bar and chip. It should be close to $1000
I've done lowering springs on previous cars, but I want something where I could adjust firm/soft. That's why I was thinking maybe new adjustable struts/shocks with stock springs... if that even works.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:23 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
I've done lowering springs on previous cars, but I want something where I could adjust firm/soft. That's why I was thinking maybe new adjustable struts/shocks with stock springs... if that even works.

I had to go back and look but I got my Bilstein B14 coils from ECS for $1200. After install I was right at $1500 which was what you were looking for. Honestly, Id go that route.

I have all my mods on my site and have the same goals you were looking for. Its my daily driver and also my track car so I couldnt go too extreme

Old 04-08-2017, 12:36 PM
cdninsw
1st Gear
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

So I think my focus is:

1) rear sway (probably NM 22mm) ~290
I heard big things from this upgrade alone.

2) Dinan tuning chip "Sport" ~299
cheapest one that I like & still +30hp/+40 torque

3) that leaves me roughly $800-$900 for some sort of strut/shocks/springs upgrade that also allows adjustment between firm & soft. (That's why I'm wondering if upgraded struts on stock springs is "ok" or potential fail.)

4) EBC Yellowstuff pads (i need new pads soon anyway so this falls under "maintenance" cost, not "upgrades" cost. )

Besides, all of this I can install myself which probably saves me enough to get the brake pads.

I'm just a little TOO excited.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:39 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

So I think my focus is:

1) rear sway (probably NM 22mm) ~290
I heard big things from this upgrade alone.

2) Dinan tuning chip "Sport" ~299
cheapest one that I like & still +30hp/+40 torque

3) that leaves me roughly $800-$900 for some sort of strut/shocks/springs upgrade that also allows adjustment between firm & soft. (That's why I'm wondering if upgraded struts on stock springs is "ok" or potential fail.)

4) EBC Yellowstuff pads (i need new pads soon anyway so this falls under "maintenance" cost, not "upgrades" cost. )

Besides, all of this I can install myself which probably saves me enough to get the brake pads.

I'm just a little TOO excited.
- PSS10's are $1700 shipped from Tirerack btw...in case it was a thought. problem with adjustable shocks/struts is you'll just eventually get someting like bilsteins so why spend twice. also, you can install the bilsteins yourself.

- i personally don't think the EBC yellowstuff will keep up at the track.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:06 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely get the coilover set first, either KW V2 or PSS10 for adjustability. ST, KW V1 or JCW set are non adjustable but much cheaper.

Try adjusting the coilover first then decide if you need rear anti sway bar. I'd get the NM GT 25mm hollow bar which is more than 10lbs lighter plus you get zerg fittings, all for only 100 bucks more.

By the time you're done with all the above, a lot more tuning options would be available such as Manic, Bytetronik, etc. That way you're not only limited to piggyback boxes.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:15 PM
cdninsw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
- PSS10's are $1700 shipped from Tirerack btw...in case it was a thought. problem with adjustable shocks/struts is you'll just eventually get someting like bilsteins so why spend twice. also, you can install the bilsteins yourself.

- i personally don't think the EBC yellowstuff will keep up at the track.
MarcoPolo, what would you suggest? Keeping in mind this car is 95+% daily commuter & 5% track. I was thinking Yellowstuff because it's supposed to have a wide workable temp range that handles street & track temps.
Thanks.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:47 PM
cdninsw
1st Gear
Ok, you guys are slowly convincing me of coilovers instead of lowering springs and/or sport struts. Although I didn't want the firmer ride of the coilovers for the daily drive.

Anyone have thoughts on the Forge Motorsport F56 coilovers? It's a better price point for me.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:56 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
That will work fine. The stock springs are well matched to the vehicle's weight. No need to replace them unless you are really seriously lightening the car — not likely in a daily driver.

If the roads you typically driver are well manicured (like a race track, or SoCal) then lowering springs may be a net win for you. However, if you live in a region that has a winter, then lowering springs will negatively affect both comfort and handling on the road. Stiffer springs make the car more prone to skipping over the ripples and small bumps that are so common in any part of the country that freezes in winter.

Here is a nice explanation of why stiffer springs may not actually be a win for many drivers:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hGZRairqHNI

Old 04-09-2017, 06:47 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok, you guys are slowly convincing me of coilovers instead of lowering springs and/or sport struts. Although I didn't want the firmer ride of the coilovers for the daily drive.

Anyone have thoughts on the Forge Motorsport F56 coilovers? It's a better price point for me.
The adjustable coilover will give you both better handling and better ride than stock when adjusted properly.
Both the PSS10 and KW V2/V3 will be more comfortable than stock on their softer setting.

Forge usually comes up with quality product but for suspension I'd stick with those with long track records. Nitron, Bilstein, KW, ST are all available for our car, just go with your budget.

BTW, I had lowering springs before and now running KW V2.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:10 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Eeh, I had EBC Yellowstuff on my F55 for a while. I didn't love them on the street. They squealed like a pig in common street temperature ranges, no matter what sort of compound I tried, and left deposits under the same conditions again and again (which, if you choose to go that route, can be mitigated by heating the brakes way up every several days and making sure they cool well before stopping).

Not my first choice for a street pad.

--Matt