Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Thinking About RMW Shorty Header

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Pequa
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thinking About RMW Shorty Header

Sorry if this has been posted a million times, but most threads I was reading were back from like 2008-2009, so I thought things might have changed since then...

I have the JCW catback on my 2005 R53, and I'm looking to add the RMW Shorty header (or maybe a different one) to it. I have heard great things about the sound of the RMW, especially with the JCW exhaust.

But my main concern is all of these stories of codes getting thrown. I don't really want to spend $950 on a header and then have it trigger the SES light.
Have any of you had experience with getting codes thrown? I talked to Jan, and he said the spacer on the rear O2 sensor should prevent/solve any SES lights. Did this solve the problem for any of you?

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2015, 02:45 PM
bsures
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently running RMW tune, 450cc injectors, cam, jesus head and RMW shorty header and I've never had a code. Also passed smog without issue in California. You're car is gonna get A LOT louder.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Pequa
2nd Gear
Good to hear. Yeah, I've heard it gets louder... is it louder at idle, or just when you get up towards WOT?

Old 02-05-2015, 03:38 PM
bsures
1st Gear
Slightly louder at idle. Any point past idle you're gonna notice a big difference audibly. My wife can hear me coming home about 4 blocks away, but I love it.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:32 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I know daveO has the RMW shorty header with his OEM cat welded to it...
No codes, and he is over 250 hp... Fully emissions legal...no stress about running catless.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:37 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Usually only the later cars have issues with the codes, usually a P0420 code. The 2006's and some 2005's.

You may or may not get it, if so its not a big deal. I use the spacer you mention and have been code free ever since and even passed CA Smog.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Pequa
2nd Gear
Ok, cool. Just out of curiosity, what would I do if I got the code?

Old 02-06-2015, 05:57 AM
12magnum
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you get the code, you can reset it with a scan tool. I get the code every couple of days. I have the rmw shorty header with the high flow cat. It is not loud at all. I really can't tell a difference in volume. I think people that are saying it's loud aren't specifying if they are catless or not. If you look on rmw's website, this is the product that is the shorty header with vband connector- it has a Random Tech high flow cat. It is not a bolt on item, a shop will need to shorten your catback pipe slightly and weld the supplied v band connector ring on.

Had mine for about 3 years now, and i didn't start getting codes until a few months ago. I need to put a spacer on my second 02 sensor, or maybe just replace the cat. I just looked through my paperwork and it had a 3 yr warranty, and i am just past that warranty window

Old 02-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Alingarhs
2nd Gear
I just installed mine today. I'm impressed with the fitment. I didnt need to modify anything, and I didnt even have trouble installing it. I run a Stratmosphere cat-back with a resonator and it does add about 50% more exhaust sound. I cant really hear it while at steady speeds, but it you floor it you will know it's there.

Cant really tell any difference on the butt dyno though. I'm hoping when I get my custom tune it will help out more.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:19 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Noise:
The same at idle, louder at WOT with a different pitch than you're used to.
Codes:
The Header will not give you a code, the codes are from the CAT, the ECU needs to read a specific variation between O2 sensor #1 and O2 sensor #2, sometimes spacers will achieve this, sometimes they won't, each car will be different and you won't know until you try it (spacers that is) the only guarantee is to use the stock CAT. Remember, with the Mini, most people who use a high flow CAT, don't actually need a high flow CAT, it's just a choice, and in most cases the extra back pressure from stock -vs- high flow, is actually a plus when it comes to performance.

As a side note, the combination of a Header and JCW exhaust is probably the best match up there is for performance.

One thing to realize, the RMW Shorty is a quality piece and worth it as far as performance goes, but....unless you are planning on a BVH in the future, most any header will give you close to the same gains (the extra flow from a BVH is where the RMW Shorty and Mynes V2 Headers really get set apart) this would also give you more choices as far as weld on -vs- bolt on CAT, and Flex Basket design -vs- not, both of these things will have a lot to do with maintenance and CAT replacement in the future.
Also, if you choose the Shorty or any Flex Basket type Header, you MUST go to a more solid upper motor mount, the engine movement that accompanies the OEM motor mount will wear out a flex basket faster than anything else.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 02-06-2015 at 08:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GothamNite (12-08-2023)
Old 02-16-2015, 06:32 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Vibrant sells an O2 spacer with 3 different sized orifice inserts. Works a treat for me.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/vibr...FQaLaQodqX0AZA

Old 02-19-2015, 08:28 PM
12magnum
2nd Gear
Thanks for the link to the vibrant spacer. I ordered it and it arrived 2 days later. Very nicely made piece. I installed it tonight using the smallest orifice supplied first. Hope it does the trick. I'll report back on how it works/ if the code stays away.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:51 PM
Frozone
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
..this would also give you more choices as far as weld on -vs- bolt on CAT... these things will have a lot to do with maintenance and CAT replacement in the future.
What's your take on
a) the lifespan of the random tech cat on the RMW street header, and
b) welding the OEM cat onto the shorty header?

Old 02-19-2015, 11:20 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Frozone
What's your take on
a) the lifespan of the random tech cat on the RMW street header, and
b) welding the OEM cat onto the shorty header?
I don't know anything about the Random CAT, I do know that the OEM CAT has historically been the one that lasts the longest, the Mini has a pretty high exhaust temp and the OEM units were designed to handle it.
Either weld it on or have someone weld flanges on so it can be bolted on and off, that way you don't have to pull the Header to replace it when the time comes.

BTW, my OEM CAT has over 150k on it, and still no codes

Last edited by BlwnAway; 02-20-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:41 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
As far as aftermarket cats go, the RMW / Random unit is about as good as it gets. OEM is definitely built to last though. I went catless, but had I not, I'd reuse the OEM cat.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:47 AM
wellzy
4th Gear
Putting the OEM cat in is like putting a straw at the end of the header.
The random tech cat on mine works just fine.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:08 AM
Frozone
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
I don't know anything about the Random CAT, I do know that the OEM CAT has historically been the one that lasts the longest, the Mini has a pretty high exhaust temp and the OEM units were designed to handle it.
Either weld it on or have someone weld flanges on so it can be bolted on and off, that way you don't have to pull the Header to replace it when the time comes.

BTW, my OEM CAT has over 150k on it, and still no codes
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
As far as aftermarket cats go, the RMW / Random unit is about as good as it gets. OEM is definitely built to last though. I went catless, but had I not, I'd reuse the OEM cat.
Originally Posted by wellzy
Putting the OEM cat in is like putting a straw at the end of the header.
The random tech cat on mine works just fine.
Thanks all for input. I don't think I'd get rid of the random tech out of the box just to weld on the OEM cat, but I'm just thinking ahead about random tech failure. I suppose constant track use would wear down the cat faster than daily driving, which is what I'd be doing 95% of the time anyway.

I wish there was a shorty header that came with a bolt on random tech! That way switching out cats would be easier. I don't think I could bring myself to cut and weld the beautiful RMW header!

Old 02-20-2015, 10:40 AM
12magnum
2nd Gear
The rmw header is very well built. You will not be disappointed. Mine has the random tech cat and vband connector. If i ever need to replace the cat, i can probably remove the header in about 20 minutes and just take it to a shop, have them weld a new random tech cat in. They aren't expensive. I had to undo the vband connector and drop the rear of the header very slightly to allow enough room to install my 90 degree 02 spacer. Quick, easy, no leaks.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:53 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Thanks all for input. I don't think I'd get rid of the random tech out of the box just to weld on the OEM cat, but I'm just thinking ahead about random tech failure. I suppose constant track use would wear down the cat faster than daily driving, which is what I'd be doing 95% of the time anyway.

I wish there was a shorty header that came with a bolt on random tech! That way switching out cats would be easier. I don't think I could bring myself to cut and weld the beautiful RMW header!
Buy a cheaper header? My OBX has been perfect for years now, and comes with the flanges to incorporate either a cat or test-pipe.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:02 AM
Frozone
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
Buy a cheaper header? My OBX has been perfect for years now, and comes with the flanges to incorporate either a cat or test-pipe.
I'm familiar with the OBX - been really debating cost and value with welding, port fitment, cat fitment (I'd be bringing in the header to the shop), doughnut replacement, to say nothing of the actual power curve vs. RMW after a tune.

I've been really close to pulling the trigger on the OBX, but some those other factors of repeated labor and optimal power with future mods are making me reconsider.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:03 AM
Frozone
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 12magnum
...I can probably remove the header in about 20 minutes...
Do you have a lift and a crew?

Old 02-20-2015, 09:10 PM
12magnum
2nd Gear
Do you have a lift and a crew?
I have some ramps and a frozen garage floor😁 I'm just saying it's pretty easy to remove. I disconnected the back at the vband connector yesterday. That's about a 5 minute job. The rest of the header bolts can be removed from under the hood quite quickly. I removed those this summer when i had the head off. They were pretty easy to access.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:59 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
I'm familiar with the OBX - been really debating cost and value with welding, port fitment, cat fitment (I'd be bringing in the header to the shop), doughnut replacement, to say nothing of the actual power curve vs. RMW after a tune.

I've been really close to pulling the trigger on the OBX, but some those other factors of repeated labor and optimal power with future mods are making me reconsider.

Understood. Just know that:

1) You shouldn't need to replace a donut gasket very often at all, especially if the spring bolts are tightened properly (not overly tight...which is what most people do).

2) The OBX header is going to flow better than no aftermarket header at all, so if you're adding cams, and head, etc, it will certainly offer value in that respect.

3) It costs about $100 tops to have someone weld a cat between two flanges. Plus, you get to decide what cat you use.

I'm not saying go OBX, because go RMW by all means if you don't mind splurging. GL.

The following users liked this post:
GothamNite (12-08-2023)
Old 02-24-2015, 05:31 AM
Willy_sa
2nd Gear
Best header I know of. No codes when I had it on my previous car.