Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Daily Driver r53 MUST HAVE parts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 06:05 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
I think I bought the car with a blown mount and had no idea. I don't really even notice a difference in the ride with it fixed haha

Is there a writeup or tutorial on how to change them out? Or does the bentley manual have this in there?
I'm sure there's a write-up on this site. Do some searching...I definitely didn't just wing it.

- Andrew

Old 02-27-2015, 03:27 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andyroo
I'm sure there's a write-up on this site. Do some searching...I definitely didn't just wing it.

- Andrew
Ok will do thanks..Motor on!

Old 03-03-2015, 08:35 AM
bjcarter2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used this video to R&R mine -

It was easy enough except the E12 bolt head at the bottom stripped. I was even using an E12 socket. I used a smaller socket and hammered it on to get the bolt out.

It's actually quite easy to replace.

I bought the Vibra-Technics because I got tired after two months of waiting for a TSW. I am really glad I did. It is a beefy but smooth unit. But when you compare the two, the Vibra-Technics makes the TSW look cheap and anemic.

Last edited by bjcarter2; 03-03-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:18 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Thanks, I will be looking into it this weekend! Did you end up replacing the lower as well? Is there another mount on the drivers side at all?

Originally Posted by bjcarter2
I used this video to R&R mine - MINI Cooper hydraulic motor mount replacement - R50 R53 R52 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 - YouTube

It was easy enough except the E12 bolt head at the bottom stripped. I was even using an E12 socket. I used a smaller socket and hammered it on to get the bolt out.

It's actually quite easy to replace.

I bought the Vibra-Technics because I got tired after two months of waiting for a TSW. I am really glad I did. It is a beefy but smooth unit. But when you compare the two, the Vibra-Technics makes the TSW look cheap and anemic.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:33 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Zippy-is there anything you can add to the stock one like a support or something?
Nyaah, the stock one basically dies from compression and vibration loads, not from twist (it has a built-in stabilizer).

The go-to advice right now is either get the TSW (added stability, but added NVH for ~$300), the VibraTechnics (slightly less added NVH for ~$350), or replace the stockie every 30-40k for ~$90. The replacement only takes 30-45 minutes with practice - and you'll get some - and a failure doesn't strand you, so that's the way I went. Truth be told, I do have the TSW in my garage for summer or track use...

And yeah, some of us are a little OCD, but we'd rather not see anyone buy a decent car and neglect essential items like brakes or safety items or maintenance while spending obscene amounts of money and time on frills. It kinda comes down to "prioritize, have a plan, stick to the plan, do things in order".

Old 03-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
Nyaah, the stock one basically dies from compression and vibration loads, not from twist (it has a built-in stabilizer).

The go-to advice right now is either get the TSW (added stability, but added NVH for ~$300), the VibraTechnics (slightly less added NVH for ~$350), or replace the stockie every 30-40k for ~$90. The replacement only takes 30-45 minutes with practice - and you'll get some - and a failure doesn't strand you, so that's the way I went. Truth be told, I do have the TSW in my garage for summer or track use...

And yeah, some of us are a little OCD, but we'd rather not see anyone buy a decent car and neglect essential items like brakes or safety items or maintenance while spending obscene amounts of money and time on frills. It kinda comes down to "prioritize, have a plan, stick to the plan, do things in order".
Thanks for the help, luckily I was able to get a "free" stock mount out of my accident so they replaced that one and I plan on replacing it again myself in about 30-40k miles which will be a while for me as I only do DD around town.
I am starting to get some sqeaking in my breaks when I am stopping at slow speeds, is it time for new brakes??