Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Crank pulley selection

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 12:53 PM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Crank pulley selection

Hello! The crank pulley / balancer just let loose on my wife's 05 MCS. I've replaced these before on my Camry's ...but these Mini pups are 'spensive! I'm lookin for input or thread links about the selections. (Also searching archives.)

I see stock (predicted to break in another 70k miles), ATI (spendy, but lasts indefinitely???), and the Alta and Craven solid models which are cheaper of course. Does the damper feature really do much on these engines, such that the solid replacements are a big risk to longevity? Does the ATI really last forever and thus is worth the $350? Does it's fluid-damper feature work as effectively as the rubber on the stock balancer?

Thanks, Jeremy

Old 05-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Incoming debate!!!

If you plan to keep your Mini for a long time, I'd go with a dampened one. If dampers weren't important in the long run, pretty much all cars companies would just install cheap solid pulleys. But they don't and that's my main point when talking about this. No I haven't seen any failures related to a plain metal crank pulley and used one on my 2.2 Ecotec Sunfire and 90,000km later, no engine failure. Personally, I'll go with an ATI once I buy my next batch of upgrades/maintenance parts.

But that's me, my car and my money.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:55 PM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I personally went with the ATI also, and it seems to work just fine. The piece of mind that i will never have to worry about it coming apart like the factory unit alone is worth the cost.

A factory Crank pulley from ECS is 249.oo

ALL of those lighten models are crap. DO NOT get one of those, I have personally seen 2 of them crack and fail! Just take a moment and think about it, the factory unit and ATI weight some where in the 5 to 8 lbs range and a 12oz unit is going to hold up as well?

Old 05-22-2014, 05:19 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Imo, get the ATI or the cheaper liquid/gel prw one....
Not worth going with the lightweight one....
I scrimped and saved...got the ati....

Old 05-22-2014, 05:37 PM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
Thanks, I didn't know about the PRW.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:45 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
yup..either one should work...

The R52, R53 MINI Cooper S crankshaft harmonic balancer pulleys are known to fail. Here is a better and more cost effective solution.

PRW Fluid Dampers are made with an internal steel intertia ring that is surrounded by a high viscosity silicone gel. The internal intertia ring "floats" in the silicone gel to combat the engine harmonics at all RPM ranges. Crankshaft and bearing life is significantly improved and safely increases torque and horsepower.

Includes threaded bore holes to mount a crank trigger on the face of the damper, thereby allowing ignition timing to be controlled and adjusted externally.
Superior steel forgings and CNC machining ensure consistent finishes and tolerances. The fluid dampening design enhances smooth blower operation, and preserves main bearing life for engines that are tuned to perform far above factory specifications. These dampers are SFI certified to 12,500 RPM.
WMW recommends replacing the crank bolt anytime it is removed. We do have them in stock HERE

http://www.waymotorworks.com/fluid-c...ulley-r53.html

Old 05-23-2014, 10:33 AM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
Have any of you heard of a fluid-damper pulley by Speedmaster?
http://store.speedmaster79.com/p-393...er-damper.aspx

Old 05-26-2014, 12:47 PM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
Speedmaster Pulley?

Bump...sorry, not to nag, but...

Have any of you heard of a fluid-damper crank pulley by Speedmaster?
http://store.speedmaster79.com/p-393...er-damper.aspx

And are fluid dampers as effective as the rubber-connected kind?

Thanks, Jeremy

Old 05-26-2014, 01:00 PM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Never heard of that one, and I have to say it looks very similar to the OEM unit.

I am running the ATI and I am extremely happy with it.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:47 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I've used all the different brands and can say by far the ATI pulley is the best. It is the highest quality, installs easy, and often after installing you can physically notice the engine idle smoother since it dampens so much better.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-09-2014, 06:37 PM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
I got the Speedmaster pulley I mentioned up a couple posts. It's been on a month or so and works just fine. It went on easily, spins perfectly true, and cost half of the ATI. It's fluid-damped.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:04 AM
ccccPUNISHER
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I've used all the different brands and can say by far the ATI pulley is the best. It is the highest quality, installs easy, and often after installing you can physically notice the engine idle smoother since it dampens so much better.
Not to get off subject here...but
Im planning on ordering the ATI Crank Pulley from you guys was wondering if the ATI Crank Pulley with titanium hardware is ok to use with a lightened flywheel?

Just to add to this post I have a 2% M7 crank pulley and havent had any issues but my buddy has had major issues with his I believe he keeps blowing the crank seal oil spilling everywhere I believe thats what it was. So ive decided to switch mine to the ATI I drive like an old lady so thats probably why I havent had any issues my buddy drives his Mini like he stole it so im assuming thats why he keeps having an issue...anyway from everything ive read ATI is the best replacement...

*I drive an 06 MCS JCW Checkmate 118k on the odometer.*

Old 08-09-2014, 04:30 PM
xcountryfreak
1st Gear
Speedmaster pulley

Originally Posted by GearheadS
I got the Speedmaster pulley I mentioned up a couple posts. It's been on a month or so and works just fine. It went on easily, spins perfectly true, and cost half of the ATI. It's fluid-damped.
Hi GearheadS - how is the Speedmaster pulley holding up for you? My 03 S finally toasted the stock one and I'm in the market for a new pulley. The Speedmaster looks an awful lot like the PRW which looks like a good product. And the ad reads almost word for word the same. Biggest difference is the price. Only thing that keeps me from getting it is the lack of information on-line. Seems like nobody else has tried it. Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:46 PM
ccccPUNISHER
3rd Gear
im ordering my ATI CP on monday...just not sure if I should get it with the titanium hardware or get the regular one...anyway ATI is a safe way to go...in my opinion not sure of anybof you have children, but you would want to get the best stuff for your kids and I dont know about you, but im sure theres a lot of people on here that would agree...my Mini is like my child and I wont cut corners when upgrading parts especially something like a crank pulley its the "heart of your child" save the couple of extra dollars and just get the good stuff...youll regret it in the long run.
I made the mistake and got a cheap pulley and now im getting the ATI which I should of just ordered from the start lucky me my buddy is gonna swap them out if I give him my other pulley so ill save a few dollars that way...do the right thing...just get the ATI. :-)
Just my two cents. lol

Old 08-09-2014, 05:14 PM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
Hey there, yeah, my Speed master pulley is fine, no problems. I agree, they're sure is a dearth of info on it.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:01 AM
jamfred774
1st Gear
After reading this thread I am looking into a new ATI pulley as well. I have some engine vibes around 2k-2200 and they are pretty prominent making the mirror shake. All engine mounts have been replaced with no success making me think this is an issue.

Thanks for the solid advise in choosing the right dampener.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:13 AM
ccccPUNISHER
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jamfred774
After reading this thread I am looking into a new ATI pulley as well. I have some engine vibes around 2k-2200 and they are pretty prominent making the mirror shake. All engine mounts have been replaced with no success making me think this is an issue.

Thanks for the solid advise in choosing the right dampener.

You cant go wrong with the ATI ive had mine on for a few weeks now and its awesome im happy with it and I know it will last a long time...im almost at 120k my stock CP never failed but I figured I would do this as routine maintenance...I would recommend to replace your Belt tensioner pulley while doing the CP, I also replaced my supercharger oil, supercharger pulley with an m7 16%, belt and AC compressor while I was doung all the other stuff.
Cant go wrong with ATI.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:50 AM
jamfred774
1st Gear
I have already replaced the tensioner setup as it failed on my way to my house after purchasing the car (1000 mile trip). I have an Alta 17% pulley and new belt sitting in the garage that needs to go on as well. The supercharger probably needs serviced but that is a lot of work for not having much time at all right now.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:05 AM
ccccPUNISHER
3rd Gear
I would service the supercharger asap if you pushing over 100k.
My supercharger was almost completely dry I cought it in the nick of time lol
I got the oil from Detroit Tuned.
I would highly recommend this if you want to prolong the life of your supercharger.
ohhh yeah and I replaced the water pump and all kinds of other stuff power steering lines, ps fan, upper strur mounts, re did my suspension it just never ends.
next on the list is the clutch and flywheel.
Spec Stage 3 with lightweight flywheel ;-)

Old 10-07-2014, 07:50 AM
jamfred774
1st Gear
I just replaced my balancer with the ATI unit from WAY. It reduced almost all of the high RPM vibration I was getting from my worn out stock balancer.

I just ordered the supercharger oil from Jegs as they are having a free shipping sale right now. I'm at 88k mileage right now so I will be completing the supercharger service very soon.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:53 PM
bmdouble
1st Gear
prw is J.U.N.K.! I replaced my factory one with it a couple of months ago and when I started my car and looked down at the pulley it reminded me of a hula dancer. I should have considered the review that another person had on amazon that it wobbles,or is not true. Already went through 2 belts in 2 months with the annoying squeek squeek.And yes I installed it properly,22 years as a technician and I've never seen a new balancer do this.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:00 AM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
UPDATE: The Speedmaster fluid-damped pulley I installed ~5 months ago is still fine. Given its construction, I can't see it ever failing, and it spun true unlike the PRW mentioned above.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:44 AM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
Still works fine.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:13 PM
drrigg
1st Gear
Just finished (almost) installing the Speedmaster balancer on my car and I must say it is way nicer looking than the original. At 140k miles my original dampener hadn't yet failed but the front main seal had so I decided to replace the unit anyway. The only problem I have is that the Speedmaster unit seems to be thicker than the original unit and the bolt is no longer long enough. Did anyone else run into this and, if so, how long was the bolt you ended up using?

Old 07-07-2015, 05:26 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
ATI is the way to go especially if you plan to track the car as it is accepted by most sanctioning bodies as the stock MINI is not.

ISAMIN

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Crank pulley selection