Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 02:28 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a data log from a while back so you can see how it looks.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:49 PM
doug@frankenturbo
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
Palmer Performance - Scan XL
Can you log airflows with it? Boost duty?

Old 09-07-2014, 03:50 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
I can check.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:20 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo
Can you log airflows with it? Boost duty?
You can log MAF

I don't see anything for boost duty or anything for the waste gate.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:31 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Palmer Performance - Scan XL

I purchased this software after I started modding my R53 when RMW was remote tuning my car after I would add parts. Add a part, make 9 runs, while data logging. 3 - 0-60, 3, 60-90 and 3 WOT on the highway.
Still a bit confused, is a software purchase or hardware product? I already own a OBDLink MX unit with Bluetooth.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:39 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Still a bit confused, is a software purchase or hardware product? I already own a OBDLink MX unit with Bluetooth.
Both

Old 09-08-2014, 10:53 AM
doug@frankenturbo
Former Vendor
Both
You mind sharing a link? Because the paucity of data logging capability for these cars is a big part of why we haven't released our F21M publicly.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:31 AM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Old 09-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
I already have the OBDLink MX BT. I need a little more clarification as to what I need to buy or if I have to purchase another OBDLink MX BT together with the Scan XL Standard?

Also do I need a laptop or can I just download my log files to my home computer?

Last edited by Systemlord; 09-08-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:23 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I already have the OBDLink MX BT. I need a little more clarification as to what I need to buy or if I have to purchase another OBDLink MX BT together with the Scan XL Standard? Also do I need a laptop or can I just download my log files to my home computer?

Obdlink makes the connection from the ecu in the car to the computer. You need a program (such as scan xl) to read the output of the ecu. You need a laptop or tablet of some sort.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:43 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I already have the OBDLink MX BT. I need a little more clarification as to what I need to buy or if I have to purchase another OBDLink MX BT together with the Scan XL Standard?

Also do I need a laptop or can I just download my log files to my home computer?
Here's a thread with all the info:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...og-graphs.html

But in summary you need 3 things:

1.) An ODB2 hardware device, either wired or wireless (Bluetooth or Wifi). Your OBDLINK will work just fine but there are many generic ones too.

2.) A laptop running Windows or a Macbook using a virtual machine such as VMWare Fusion or Parallels. I use a Macbook and Fusion 6. I have also tried Parallels and it works just fine too.

3.) ScanXL software either standard or professional.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:27 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
I downloaded DashCmd from the iStore for $10 last night for iPhone. I already had a wireless ODB2 device that it should connect with. I haven't gotten there yet. If I can successfully log, file size and space will kill me I imagine. Do you need ScanXL though? Palmer seems a little vague on what you really need vs what they'd like for you to have.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:53 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Who has the stage 2 C map? I have yet to try the C map. Is everyone that has it running meth?

Last edited by wzabrouski; 09-08-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:46 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
I downloaded DashCmd from the iStore for $10 last night for iPhone. I already had a wireless ODB2 device that it should connect with. I haven't gotten there yet. If I can successfully log, file size and space will kill me I imagine. Do you need ScanXL though? Palmer seems a little vague on what you really need vs what they'd like for you to have.
You can log it in DashCmd then import into ScanXL. Not sure if you can do this with the "trial" version of ScanXL (IIRC you can, but there is one way to find out - download and try it). The sampling rate is not as good in DashCmd compared to logging directly in ScanXL. Don't worry about file sizes, they are quite small.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
You can log it in DashCmd then import into ScanXL. Not sure if you can do this with the "trial" version of ScanXL (IIRC you can, but there is one way to find out - download and try it). The sampling rate is not as good in DashCmd compared to logging directly in ScanXL. Don't worry about file sizes, they are quite small.
Can this logging and import be done using the Torque App also?

Old 09-08-2014, 07:59 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Can this logging and import be done using the Torque App also?
I don't think so. DashCmd and ScanXL are made by the same company.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Manic Stage II Plus Data Log?

Since the Manic Tune thread took a turn toward the topic of Data Logging;

Has anyone running a Manic Stage II Plus, with Meth, recorded a solid run in 4th gear up to 6000 RPM? And w/what % Meth?

I'm looking for Timing/AFR/Boost/IAT/Coolant Temps/RPM and speed.

Really looking forward to some steady numbers IOT compare once I'm tuned. Lets share some stats NAM members

I did some data logs stock (Just Bolt-ons/No JB+ for over 100mile plus) before I pulled the DME, and recorded the following on avg. for each pull:

Timing; 7deg+
AFR; 12.3
EGT; 180deg
IAT; 78deg vs 78deg Ambient w/86% Humidity
Boost; 14psi

All pulled as stated in above gear at said RPM. I think my MCS is going to enjoy it's new Tune

Cant wait

Last edited by Roxspin72; 09-09-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Who has the stage 2 C map? I have yet to try the C map. Is everyone that has it running meth?
+1, very interested in feedback from all those running this Map...

What I gather so far is Yes, you must run Meth to reduce the high intake temps and EGT which contribute to pulled timing and Knock.

Question is how much and what percent is working.

see question above for data logs request

Old 09-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
Originally Posted by cerenkov
In the iStore they say that DashCmd will download CSV files. These are basic text files that usually can be imported to other programs. If nothing else, they will go easily into Excel and you can do your own data plots from there. As for sample rate, it may be only 1 Hz, at least that has been my experience with Harry's lap timer without any add-ons. It will be interesting to here what you get.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:23 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
Since the Manic Tune thread took a turn toward the topic of Data Logging; Has anyone running a Manic Stage II Plus, with Meth, recorded a solid run in 4th gear up to 6000 RPM? And w/what % Meth? I'm looking for Timing/AFR/Boost/IAT/EGT/RPM and speed. Really looking forward to some steady numbers IOT compare once I'm tuned. Lets share some stats NAM members I did some data logs stock (Just Bolt-ons/No JB+ for over 100mile plus) before I pulled the DME, and recorded the following on avg. for each pull: Timing; 7deg+ AFR; 12.3 EGT; 180deg IAT; 78deg vs 78deg Ambient w/86% Humidity Boost; 14psi All pulled as stated in above gear at said RPM. I think my MCS is going to enjoy it's new Tune Cant wait
I have this file and just switched to it tonight after I swapped up to the 1.0 jet with the aquamist system. With this jet it is about 500cc of meth. I am also running 100% meth.

Asked Nick from Manic what was needed for the C file and got this response today.

Do not use E85. The fuel system cannot deal with it and does not have the capacity for it.

Mode C/3 is ok for pump fuel in all the normal files unless a Meth mode was specifically requested. Then race fuel and/or methanol is required. Otherwise, meth is not required but is always a nice addition.

If you have a specific Meth mode then yes, you should have approximately 500cc of flow with at least 80% methanol. Many customer just go straight meth with no water. That works well.

If you have the normal file where Mode C is simply aggressive on pump fuel then use either the 500cc nozzle or a smaller one with the meth. There is power to be gained in most circumstances because the last mode is aggressive for running only pump.

Please avoid E85. It doesn't agree with the Mini fuel system.

If you need to know more, please ask.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:24 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
In the iStore they say that DashCmd will download CSV files. These are basic text files that usually can be imported to other programs. If nothing else, they will go easily into Excel and you can do your own data plots from there. As for sample rate, it may be only 1 Hz, at least that has been my experience with Harry's lap timer without any add-ons. It will be interesting to here what you get.
Before I had ScanXL, I did import the DashCommand .csv files into Excel. The sample rate was about 1 Hz. With ScanXL, depending on the number of PIDs being scanned, you'll get about 6 Hz.

Here a screen capture:

Old 09-09-2014, 07:46 PM
JCW Jet
1st Gear
Just a quick post on another happy Manic Tune customer. As i posted a few weeks ago, I would be first in line at MINI Dynamics after Labor Day to have both my N14 JCW and the wife's N18 Countryman tuned. A disclaimer as I am probably their best customer, but the customer service as always was great and my N14 was OBD flashed in a little over 2 hours. We had a hitch in the R60 tune though as the ECU ID was not available from Manic and the only method was to open the ECU for a boot mode bench tune. Well, that was completed today and we couldn't be happier. I purchased the Stage 1 tune online for both cars and they are remarkably stronger and pull hard from down low all the way to redline. No problems, no issues. If you are on the East Coast or anywhere for that matter, I highly recommend MINI Dynamics and the Manic Tune.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
I have this file and just switched to it tonight after I swapped up to the 1.0 jet with the aquamist system. With this jet it is about 500cc of meth. I am also running 100% meth.

Asked Nick from Manic what was needed for the C file and got this response today.

Do not use E85. The fuel system cannot deal with it and does not have the capacity for it.

Mode C/3 is ok for pump fuel in all the normal files unless a Meth mode was specifically requested. Then race fuel and/or methanol is required. Otherwise, meth is not required but is always a nice addition.

If you have a specific Meth mode then yes, you should have approximately 500cc of flow with at least 80% methanol. Many customer just go straight meth with no water. That works well.

If you have the normal file where Mode C is simply aggressive on pump fuel then use either the 500cc nozzle or a smaller one with the meth. There is power to be gained in most circumstances because the last mode is aggressive for running only pump.

Please avoid E85. It doesn't agree with the Mini fuel system.

If you need to know more, please ask.
Im tracking the E85 WARNO. I will run my current set up with 315cc/min Nozzel and push 100% Meth on Map C.

As of right now we are looking to tune Maps A-C with 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 bar.

Maps A & B set for pump gas 93oct. and C set for 93 + Meth. If my Data log shows any signs of pulling I will stay in Map B. until I get my new Nozzle for pushing 500cc.

Cant wait to experience the gains

Old 09-09-2014, 08:10 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
Since the Manic Tune thread took a turn toward the topic of Data Logging; Has anyone running a Manic Stage II Plus, with Meth, recorded a solid run in 4th gear up to 6000 RPM? And w/what % Meth? I'm looking for Timing/AFR/Boost/IAT/Coolant Temps/RPM and speed. Really looking forward to some steady numbers IOT compare once I'm tuned. Lets share some stats NAM members I did some data logs stock (Just Bolt-ons/No JB+ for over 100mile plus) before I pulled the DME, and recorded the following on avg. for each pull: Timing; 7deg+ AFR; 12.3 EGT; 180deg IAT; 78deg vs 78deg Ambient w/86% Humidity Boost; 14psi All pulled as stated in above gear at said RPM. I think my MCS is going to enjoy it's new Tune Cant wait
How are you logging EGTs?

Old 09-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
How are you logging EGTs?
Ha ha, Mario caught that earlier. I corrected that in original post; Meant Coolant temps

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!