Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:22 AM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CPap
Your going to love the tune! Good luck.

I have been playing with Map C. The tune is just a bit more aggressive than map B and sure does rip on the highway. Heres what I was averaging on the Log at/near redline:

Timing - 12 deg
AFR - 12
Ambient temp - 82
IAT - 97
Boost - 21.5psi

The spray seems be doing well with respect to fuel. I don't see any loss. I am running 350cc/min. I may add more volume for the purpose of cooling though.
Thanks for these numbers. Good baseline for me to work off of. Now I understand you are pushing a larger Turbo w/an upgraded Manifold, so that explains your higher temps. But I've also been informed that that's optimal for your set up.

Two quick things, 1) what % Methanol are you pushing? 2) please post some comparative numbers reflecting The benefit of using the 500cc nozzle when installed.

I'm thinking besides your turbo, only other factor that would skew the difference between our MINIs would be weight, being yours is a CMS ALL4

Thanks...

Old 09-16-2014, 02:37 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
Thanks for these numbers. Good baseline for me to work off of. Now I understand you are pushing a larger Turbo w/an upgraded Manifold, so that explains your higher temps. But I've also been informed that that's optimal for your set up.

Two quick things, 1) what % Methanol are you pushing? 2) please post some comparative numbers reflecting The benefit of using the 500cc nozzle when installed.

I'm thinking besides your turbo, only other factor that would skew the difference between our MINIs would be weight, being yours is a CMS ALL4

Thanks...
I am running 100% M1 meth. I will certainly let you know how additional meth volume works out if I get it done.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:25 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am running the 1.0 jet (500cc per min) with 100% M1 meth on the C map. Car loves it!

Old 09-16-2014, 03:31 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
I am running the 1.0 jet (500cc per min) with 100% M1 meth on the C map. Car loves it!
Good to know, Auqamist kit?

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 09-16-2014, 03:35 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Yes

Old 09-16-2014, 03:49 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
For those living in or around the Raleigh, NC area that are interested in getting a Manic tune shoot me a PM. I'm trying to get a local Shop to become an authorized dealer but first they would like to get and idea of the interest.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CPap
I am running 100% M1 meth. I will certainly let you know how additional meth volume works out if I get it done.
So today I networked my way into finding an independent deal for Methanol. The guy has two Pro Stock Track cars, one clocking low 7's, I ended up scoring 5 gal of Methanol for $15.

How do I know what is considered M1? I'm sure he has top notch alcohol, from the looks of his race set-ups and clientele he resources. His stock were in 55gal drums. Guess I just want to know if there are different grades of Meth, sort of like Race Fuel.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:27 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Look up http://www.monsonoil.com. I believe that they have a sister company in the Fayetteville area. It is 99.99% methanol for about $35 for a 5 gallon drum.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Look up http://www.monsonoil.com. I believe that they have a sister company in the Fayetteville area. It is 99.99% methanol for about $35 for a 5 gallon drum.
Ok so M1 is a brand, not a rating. Yeah he informed me that there is no 100% around here, and that 99.9% was the best he could get. Im stoked. This was cheaper than my Boost Juice, LOL. And another known automotive shop tried to play me for $10 a gal, bottled up Meth. Glad I networked

Old 09-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
In all the excitement of receiving my tune, I forgot to ask, for those running a Meth Tune (STAGE II, MAP C), not sure if you are running a progressive controller or DI, but in respects to boost; what PSI or equivalent to that, do you have your pump start spraying? Before my tune, I was letting it kick in at 8 psi. Not sure if I should readjust running the Manic Stage II MAP C set up.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:51 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
How is the 1.0 jet with temps? I am at Manic Stage 3 and the temps are killer. Looking at the WMW Turbo wrap but don't want to dish out $200 at the moment.
Closer to redline, IAT's go over ambient again.. I hate heat..

Old 09-17-2014, 07:59 AM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
In all the excitement of receiving my tune, I forgot to ask, for those running a Meth Tune (STAGE II, MAP C), not sure if you are running a progressive controller or DI, but in respects to boost; what PSI or equivalent to that, do you have your pump start spraying? Before my tune, I was letting it kick in at 8 psi. Not sure if I should readjust running the Manic Stage II MAP C set up.
If your car was tuned after September 1st and you purchased stage 2, you will not have a meth map. Manic stages changed and any car running meth or race gas is now stage 2 +. Your Manic dealer should have told the answer to all the questions you are asking. Manic (Nick) is very specific about how to set up the Meth on each Meth tune. I would contact your dealer and find out what Nick recommended for your particular tune. They should be able to tell you the difference between the Maps and requirements for each.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by EuroTechsAZ
If your car was tuned after September 1st and you purchased stage 2, you will not have a meth map. Manic stages changed and any car running meth or race gas is now stage 2 +. Your Manic dealer should have told the answer to all the questions you are asking. Manic (Nick) is very specific about how to set up the Meth on each Meth tune. I would contact your dealer and find out what Nick recommended for your particular tune. They should be able to tell you the difference between the Maps and requirements for each.
Thanks for the info... Yeah I forgot to mention I am running stage II plus, w/Meth on MAP C.

My Tune is up and running;

Just went for a test ride in Maps A & B, Here is my input:

Holy $&!%😮

MTF...😁

Old 09-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Good evening all NAM members. I must say, I am enjoying every bit of the MANIC Stage II+. My MCS is running so smooth with this tune. Started off wondering how to setup the SPS Switch. Looked up some videos, Palm-to-forehead and GTG. I drove around in stock mode 1st; wanted to get back the feel of my MINI since ive been driving the wifeys CMS and my sons R53. Everything seemed normal and I was glad to be back in my MINI. Decided to hit up Map A. Thought it should be a little better than stock, right? Wrong, big difference. I must agree with whomever stated it was big diff over the JB+. I loved the Juice Box, but no regrets on the upgrade. Map A seemed too aggressive at first, thought I was in B for a moment. But after switching over to Map B, the fun meter started pinging I immediately could tell the difference between the two. Map A hit as high as 18-19psi, Map B I saw strong 19s w/a couple 21.5psi spikes. Tearing through the gears and smoking the tires caused me to take a moment and think, "Damn I am going to need some new tires soon" I have not tried Map C yet. Right now I am spraying my 315cc/min Nozzle, pushing straight Methanol. Hoping it will provide enough fuel for Map C. We will soon find out.

Todays Logs are as follows:

Map B no Methanol

RPM - 6100
Timing - 11 deg
AFR - 11.5
Ambient temp - 78
IAT - 98
Boost - 18psi

Map B pushing Straight Meth starting @ 9psi, full spray @ 14psi;

RPM - 6000
Timing - 9 deg
AFR - 11.5
Ambient temp - 82
IAT - 73
Boost - 18psi

Humidity today was right around 78%

As you can see 99.9% Meth really does the trick even with a 315cc Nozzle. I'm curious as to why the timing only hit 9deg/adv on my last pull. Other than that all other numbers look good comparatively. I do notice a slight drop in Boost after 6K rpm. But it hold right at about 18-19psi regularly. mid 5K range it's as high as 20-21psi. I'm going to hit a few more solid runs before moving on to Map C.

I'd also like to take this moment to recognize Mario P. He is a member on here known as Mario Kart. He an I have been discussing the Manic tune since the beginning, back when all I thought I wanted was a Cat-less DP. I was not sure with whom I would get my MINI tuned by. When I heard he was all set up to bench tune, I pulled the trigger. Mario has great character and professionalism. I am 100% satisfied by the work he has done from the DP, to advice over the phone on Methanol kits, and other mods, to my Stage II+ Manic Tune. He dose not claim to be the Subject Matter Expert of all things MINI, but has a diverse background with multiple vehicle set-ups, and has personally test and tuned one damn sweet GP (His own). Mario not only Tuned my MCS to spec, he also kept me in the loop with some play by play chat, allowing me to be part of the tuning process. I'm sure there are now more than a few tuners out there, some with whom I've chatted with. But in the end I had to remain a loyal customer once I knew Mario was up and running. I encourage anyone that cannot tune locally to take advantage of the professionalism, quality, personable service that Mario would provide if you needed a bench tune.

Thanks Mario

Old 09-18-2014, 01:16 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
ScanGauge reading 22.4PSI on the K04 this afternoon. PULLING HARD! Seems Nick has defeated the ECU Boost cut. Well done again Manic. All I need is wider tires and I'm set. 1.0mm meth nozzle and WMW Turbo wrap comes in tomorrow. Should help me attack heat better.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:27 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johntotah94
ScanGauge reading 22.4PSI on the K04 this afternoon. PULLING HARD! Seems Nick has defeated the ECU Boost cut. Well done again Manic. All I need is wider tires and I'm set. 1.0mm meth nozzle and WMW Turbo wrap comes in tomorrow. Should help me attack heat better.
How much do you really think the stock engine can handle? The boost cut is there for a reason.

I'm not trying to be negative, I just don't want to see you blow the engine, it's an expensive fix.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
How do we know what's safe as far as boost levels are concerned?

Old 09-18-2014, 04:35 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by Systemlord
How do we know what's safe as far as boost levels are concerned?
Boost plays a big factor, but cylinder pressure seems to me the main reason why motors fail. There is no set number that determine safe or not safe, since some Mini bust under stock conditions and some are heavily modded or 100k+. 22psi seems to be a decent rule of thumb, and assuming AFR, timing, EGT, and IAT's are all in check.

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 09-18-2014, 04:59 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Boost plays a big factor, but cylinder pressure seems to me the main reason why motors fail. There is no set number that determine safe or not safe, since some Mini bust under stock conditions and some are heavily modded or 100k+. 22psi seems to be a decent rule of thumb, and assuming AFR, timing, EGT, and IAT's are all in check.
I agree that the overall cylinder pressure is important.

Just my opinion but 22 psi (steady not spike) seems fairly aggressive for the MCS. IIRC, the MCS is higher compression ratio than the JCW. The JCW may get away with 22 psi but it has a lower compression ratio and forged pistons.

EDIT: 22 psi with a static CR of 10.5 leads to an effective CR of 16.5. Not good if you are using pump gas. Very aggressive even with meth.

Last edited by cerenkov; 09-18-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:52 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
I agree that the overall cylinder pressure is important. Just my opinion but 22 psi (steady not spike) seems fairly aggressive for the MCS. IIRC, the MCS is higher compression ratio than the JCW. The JCW may get away with 22 psi but it has a lower compression ratio and forged pistons. EDIT: 22 psi with a static CR of 10.5 leads to an effective CR of 16.5. Not good if you are using pump gas. Very aggressive even with meth.
Sorry 22psi for my GP2 which has the larger 40mm turbo and the same CR as the normal S. The JCW has the lower CR and 40mm turbo. 22psi at redline on a normal 37mm S turbo is way to much and almost impossible

Old 09-18-2014, 07:04 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Sorry 22psi for my GP2 which has the larger 40mm turbo and the same CR as the normal S. The JCW has the lower CR and 40mm turbo. 22psi at redline on a normal 37mm S turbo is way to much and almost impossible
Why would Mini not have the GP2 with the same CR as the JCW? JCW's seem to get better hp and torque numbers at least for the N14 engines.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:10 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Why would Mini not have the GP2 with the same CR as the JCW? JCW's seem to get better hp and torque numbers at least for the N14 engines.
Not sure, but they made the GP with higher CR over the JCW, might be an emission thing

Old 09-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
I've been taking note of the concerns brought up in this thread over boost levels. So I've been tracking my runs diligently, so to insure my numbers are in the safe zone. I have seen boost spikes as high as 21.5 in Map B, but mostly tapers down to 18-19psi after around 5500rpm.

Here is a pretty clean Log I did this evening. 78deg Ambient w/86% humidity:
Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!-stage-ii-log.jpg

Sorry about the HP and TQ stats. I know some find them suspect, but I would say that the highest HP I've seen with the JB+ was 230, that's a nice 50hp bump in Map B

My 315cc Nozzle seems to be spraying just fine keeping the IAT below ambient at 6200rpm.

So yeah Boost in Map B usually hits around 20-21, down to 18 all the way to redline. AFRs steady at 11.5, and Timing has shown some steady climbs to 11-12 deg on average.

I am not very savvy with the scan XL program. Wish it would just show everything I can see on Dash Command.

As for Map C, I played with it for a minute. Damn scary powerful

I was rolling in second gear at about 15ish MPH, stomped on the throttle, and when the boost kicked in it just burns rubber all the way through the gear I will need to figure this out before I can ever take off out of first, LOL... Max boost I saw tonight in Map C was 22.5 psi, but im sure it was just an over boost spike, hit than dropped to 21 real quick.

Loving this tune

Old 09-18-2014, 11:31 PM
rhygin
3rd Gear
I agree that the overall cylinder pressure is important.

Just my opinion but 22 psi (steady not spike) seems fairly aggressive for the MCS. IIRC, the MCS is higher compression ratio than the JCW. The JCW may get away with 22 psi but it has a lower compression ratio and forged pistons.

EDIT: 22 psi with a static CR of 10.5 leads to an effective CR of 16.5. Not good if you are using pump gas. Very aggressive even with meth.
Glad I wasn't the first person to say it. Pretty skeptical about the longevity of an engine with stock internals (MCS) pushing 20psi+. Hope people don't have to start buying new engines. Either way, good luck. It's an entertaining thread.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:43 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by rhygin
Glad I wasn't the first person to say it. Pretty skeptical about the longevity of an engine with stock internals (MCS) pushing 20psi+. Hope people don't have to start buying new engines. Either way, good luck. It's an entertaining thread.
It's part of game in almost every hobby people do. None of us want average or safe. Nothing inspiring or sexy about being safe. America was built on pushing the limits and saying, "what's little more going to hurt". I do admit it will suck when a motor blows, but that motor could have blown totally stock and for a multiple of other reason, besides increased power. Oil pumps go out, plugs fail, coolant leaks out and ex-girlfriend poor sugar in your tank (true story). I enjoy having a little car that shocks people on straightways and not only in the corners. I could have just bought a Vette, if I wanted a light car with big HP's, but I really dislike Vette

Last edited by MarioKart; 09-19-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!