Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain bov/diverter help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:41 AM
illbegotten
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried the spacer out. Noise was much quieter than I thought it would be, but that was ok then it wouldn't be annoying. BUT within 3 days I got cel, unmetered air fault. So, I took it off.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:44 AM
jwildr56
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by illbegotten
I tried the spacer out. Noise was much quieter than I thought it would be, but that was ok then it wouldn't be annoying. BUT within 3 days I got cel, unmetered air fault. So, I took it off.
I have had no problems with mine and also mine is pretty loud all the ones I have heard are pretty loud did you make sure everything was hooked up correctly is your stock dv functioning correctly?

Old 03-22-2014, 06:52 AM
illbegotten
2nd Gear
Maybe it sounds quiet to me because I am used to the bov sound from my STi, that is loud. Also everything put together fine, had it looked at by a mechanic.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 AM
jwildr56
1st Gear
Maybe it sounds quiet to me because I am used to the bov sound from my STi, that is loud. Also everything put together fine, had it looked at by a mechanic.
Yea that might be it but also unmetered air sounds like a MAF problem to me I don't see why the spacer would throw a code it's still functioning normally just dumping boost rather than putting hot air back to the cold side

Old 03-22-2014, 07:35 AM
illbegotten
2nd Gear
It got the cel because it was looking for the air to be dumped back in that I was now diverting to the atmosphere. Not sure why some don't get a cel and some do, but mine gets one.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:45 AM
jwildr56
1st Gear
It got the cel because it was looking for the air to be dumped back in that I was now diverting to the atmosphere. Not sure why some don't get a cel and some do, but mine gets one.
Yea I'm not to sure how I thought it was explained to that the computer controls when to dump boost and by keeping the stock dv or wmw dv and using the spacer it was almost tricking the system I guess you could say

Old 03-22-2014, 08:18 AM
illbegotten
2nd Gear
Also as far as putting hot air into the "cold" from what I understand there isn't much cold going on in this system. The pcv that dumps in the intake tube is heated too. The only reason for dumping to atmosphere is for the sound.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:20 AM
jwildr56
1st Gear
Also as far as putting hot air into the "cold" from what I understand there isn't much cold going on in this system. The pcv that dumps in the intake tube is heated too. The only reason for dumping to atmosphere is for the sound.
If you read this thread it's all about sound no one is claiming any performance

Old 03-22-2014, 08:26 AM
illbegotten
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jwildr56
Yea that might be it but also unmetered air sounds like a MAF problem to me I don't see why the spacer would throw a code it's still functioning normally just dumping boost rather than putting hot air back to the cold side
I was just responding to this.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 AM
jwildr56
1st Gear

You are putting hot air back to the cold side of the the system go back and read all the posts

Old 03-22-2014, 08:33 AM
jwildr56
1st Gear

Go back to the first page and read what injectedgt has to say

Old 03-22-2014, 08:45 AM
illbegotten
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jwildr56
You are putting hot air back to the cold side of the the system go back and read all the posts
My point is we are already heating our "cold" air with the pcv system. So the fact we are dumping hot air from the diverter valve isn't a big deal.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:47 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
The Forge vacuum actuated piston operated system works like a champ. Much faster operation, so it cuts out the turbo "stall" in between shifts. Better performance, and you get the "whoosh" between gears. Between that and the new torque arm and bushing my shifts are much quicker and have a more positive feel. The Forge model I have is more expensive, but IMO worth every cent. YMMV

http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...product=FM207V

Old 03-31-2014, 07:03 AM
MontyRSVR
1st Gear
I bought a spacer for 40 just to play around a bit and give first hand review.

First off its a very easy install provided you have a long and medium 5 mm ball allen socket.

No CELs in 1 day of driving. No on off throttle bogging ( with maf only cars this can be an issue) As they tend to go rich from venting the metered air ( we have map sensors as the primary metering)

I think compared to real BOVs it's very quiet,. But that's compared to my SC63 turbo at 30 psig on my other car with a recirc and large bov.

You can really understand how the ECM uses the divert to moderate boost when wheel spin is encountered and on light throttle.

Btw.. The talk about introducing hot air back to the engine is goofy... It's all done in the housing of the compressor PRE inter cooler! Compressed, vented to suction side of compressor, compessed and then cooled.

Remember this thing is just for fun ...

Last edited by MontyRSVR; 03-31-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:11 AM
Vitamin E
Neutral
Originally Posted by MontyRSVR
I'm a newb with mini coopers but I've been building and racing turbo cars for 20 years. Recirculating valves / divert valves (synonym) and Blow off valves serve the exact same purpose. They protect the turbo impeller from compressor surge which causes fatigue and eventually failure (higher boost amplifies this). It really all comes down to "preference" at the boost and air volume we are generating. Do you want to hear it or not?

The statement that it prevents hot air from recirculating is minimal as the air still passes through the inter cooler after it is recirculated. Cars with map sensors and mass air flow sensors feel the loss of air but it is generally adjusted for because the manifold pressure is the most weighted input for fueling. As stated older mass air flow only vehicles would go full rich to full lean with blow off valves because they had few or in some cases no other input for injector duty cycle (fueling).

To me it is possible to get a cel but unlikely to happen often, the proof is with the experienced users and they say they haven't received any. The only question to answer is to whoosh or not to whoosh. I was building turbo cars before " the movie that ruined it all" and since it came out I prefer no whoosh

Ps. For roadracers and canyon runners etc. boost recovery after coming off the throttle is quicker with a recirc. The impeller is getting help from the increased suction pressure ( vented pressure from charge pipe back to inlet of the compressor ).
I have plenty of experience in cars, ecu tuning, and nitrous but just learning turbo systems with this car.

I can't believe I had to read 70 posts before someone gave a clear and educated response.

Not knocking on some of you that tried to help but if you're not sure, don't respond. It clutters the posts, makes it frustrating to find an answer from a search, that pushes someone to create a new post asking the same questions over and over, that in turn frustrates frequent users. And we wonder why forums are losing traffic to Facebook groups.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:11 PM
Gabriel MCS
1st Gear
Is there any problem of running the FMDVR60R on a N14? Any modifications needed since the part number is different..