Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Exhaust cam sprocket sheered off

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 06:38 AM
RussMon
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust cam sprocket sheered off

The exhaust cam sprocket sheered off. Im looking to get it repaired and while doing so wanted to add more power. I found a 10.7" cam. Does anyone know what else would need to be done to make this work or is it a direct bolt on? Is this my biggest bang for my buck or is there something else I should to while its torn apart?

Old 09-10-2018, 11:44 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by RussMon
The exhaust cam sprocket sheered off. Im looking to get it repaired and while doing so wanted to add more power. I found a 10.7" cam. Does anyone know what else would need to be done to make this work or is it a direct bolt on? Is this my biggest bang for my buck or is there something else I should to while its torn apart?
Before throwing money at a new cam set, ensure the broken sprocket didn't cause any damage --- valve / piston contact or bent valves. It's usually a frozen vacuum pump that causes exhaust sprockets to shear. And what exactly is a 10.7" cam? 2nd gen engines use two cams and it's most common to change them both, not just the exhaust. The two most popular mfg's are Cat Cams and Schrick, then there's a couple other less popular. Can you share with us mfg and model number? Then be advised that with aftermarket cams, you should get a tune (probably the biggest bang for your buck), and don't expect big HP gains from just a cam set --- performance changes, yes, just not a lot of HP. Currently, Manic and RPM are the most popular tunes. However, cams are usually considered stage 3 or 4 and there's quite a few other mods typically installed before cams. Your tuner of choice can offer good suggestions --- my preference is EuroTechAZ in Tempe, AZ.

When installing high-lift cams, it's advisable to check valve-to-piston clearance --- not an easy task with hydraulic lifters. There's also a "valve pre-load" check that should be done, especially if you have new valves installed --- this is another check I know little to nothing about, but failure to do it may have contributed to my last engine failure.

Finally, be sure the mechanic doing the work has Mini Cooper engine experience --- timing tools and procedure are critical, otherwise a new cam set can be considered a "bolt-on".

Old 09-16-2018, 10:29 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
unless you keep your tach in the 4800-6500 RPM range while driving your car now.. a 10.7 would be a super horrible choice for making power

*high lift/duration cams move the power band to the right.. so you lose torque in lower RPM range.. where most daily driving occurs. Add to this, turbo doesnt spool until ~3k.. you will have one gutless wonder running rich around town and a screaming terror once you cross over into the cam range. I wouldnt do it unless you track the car or drag. Better ways to make 20-40hp in my opinion.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:53 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
If the exh cam broke check to find out why. Did the Vacuum pump lock up? that is kinda common.

We have several used cams if you want stock that we have removed from running cars to install our performance cams
https://www.waymotorworks.com/used-e...14-engine.html

or go for our cam set after you know what all is needed for you build
https://www.waymotorworks.com/way-pe...-cams-n14.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more