Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Clutch ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 10:09 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Clutch ???

I'd posted this on the main R53 forum and thought I'd try here as well...

I have an '06 MCS with 75K miles that has shifting issues. Sometimes it is very difficult to get it into gear (particularly R, 1, 2, 3). When it does happen, it is usually after warm-up, but not always. It happens more often than not, but there are days where it is not a problem.

So far we have lubed the shifter cables, inspected the linkage, changed the gear oil, checked the master and slave cylinders and bled the system. None of this helped.

The clutch is not showing any signs of slippage (tested several ways) and the gears are not grinding at all, just very stiff to get into... almost as if there was a gate that was not opening.

Before I replace the clutch, is there anything else to be considered? I'd hate to replace the clutch and still have the issue.

BTW... I am not technically inclined and have had a local shop owned by a friend do all the work. He does have experience with MINIs. He is out of ideas at this point. I called my local MINI dealer, gave them the low down and they told me to replace the clutch.

Not being technically inclined, I don't see how a clutch that is not slipping can cause shifting problems. Can it?

Separate question; if I replace the clutch, is the Valeo SMF kit a good choice?

Thanks.

Dean.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:49 AM
urmaboyblur1000
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey There!

I believe I can relate. My car is a 2006 Mini Cooper as well (but no supercharger).

I've got about 110000 miles on the old gal now. At around 103-104 the clutch started to slip. I was frantic because people said that usually one it starts to slip, you've got a very short window before you're stranded somewhere. Go figure, 2,000 more miles and I couldn't get it to slip if I tried.

However ever since around, 75,000 miles the shifter became stiff. It would shift into and out of gears perfectly fine, but it was the moving back and forth in neutral that was a problem. So... from in neutral between 1st and 2nd, it was difficult to move to neutral between 5th and Reverse. I took off the shift boot and lubed it up in there, with no results. I took it to a local place that i'm extremely pleased with and they lubed up where the shift cables meet the transmission... a part I know as the "Switching unit." This helped IMMENSELY with the stiffness, but the gear selector still doesn't "pop back to the center," like it should. I'm pretty much chalking it up to the fact that this switching unit has deteriorated and will likely need replacement. I'm going to have the clutch and this done in probably 15,000 - 20,000 more miles. I drive her delicately.

She is a lady.

Anyway, I hope this information helps you. It sounds like your problem might be more of a syncronizer ring issue on those specific gears. Do you or have you ever had a habit of shifting hard and fast into those gears? Either that or there is some issue with your shifting unit as well. I'm amazed at the problems that can manifest with one single part deciding that it doesn't want to do its job anymore.

See ya!

Old 01-20-2014, 02:53 PM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you do replace the clutch the Valeo clutch kit w/flywheel is an excellent choice I just purchased one myself after extensive research and the majority of the feedback I got is positive. Rock Auto has a great price and didn't beat me up too bad on shipping, ECS tuning has a great price but I thought shipping was a bit steep. Ebay had the best price and free shipping. I went with Rock because I had a credit I could apply to order.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:06 PM
BLU-BY-U
5th Gear
My 2004 S was doing this, but with 1st, 3rd, and 5th. This was the linkage, as there are 2 cables, one for the odd and one for the even gears. The mount point that causes this to happen, sits under the airbox. So it is fairly easy to get to. The cables sit in a forked mount, and part of the cable had cracked on mine. The whole cable (the odd #'d gears) had to be replaced, the part was $100, and the labor was me.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:30 AM
29hupp
Neutral
Throw-Out Fork???

2004 Mini Base, 107K miles, clutch had been replaced at 86K. Difficult to shift into 1st and 2nd, some grinding into reverse. Replaced the Clutch Slave Cyliner, and now could not shift into any gear; clutch was not disengaging. Dropped the transmision and found the Throw-Out Fork was cracked (see photo). With the extra travel provided by the new slave (and bleeding), the Throw-Out Bearing was side loaded when trying to slide and would bind, so the clutch was not disengaging.

Attached Thumbnails Clutch ???-clutch-fork.jpg  
Old 06-20-2014, 05:23 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
"Technically", it might not be your clutch, but the throwout bearing. Before MOTD this year I was having issues with my '06 (53K'ish miles at the time) getting into R, 1, or 3 on occasion. At times the shifter would function perfectly -- very smooth -- but at others I felt a great deal of resistance getting the shifter into the desired gear.

My mechanic agreed it was probably the clutch too, so I ordered a new OEM setup. When picking up the car my mechanic showed me the clutch plates, which probably had another 15K - 20K on them, but the throwout bearing was almost ready to grenade.

So now I have a new setup that's silky smooth, but it was an expensive fix.

Edit: just realized this was an old thread..fugeddaboutit...