Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Quaife LSD

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 PM
xaurfang
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quaife LSD

Are these LSDs only meant for manual transmission?or it is applicable for also automatic?Is it worth it to get this LSD?

Thanks guys

Old 06-06-2013, 07:23 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No, a LSD is useful for all cars.

The question of whether it's worth it to you or not, isn't something I can answer. I got one, but I enjoy driving in a spirited manor...

Old 06-06-2013, 08:34 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Really? I was informed by reputable source that it wasn't possible -- let alone cost-effective -- to retrofit a LSD to an auto tranny.

I'm quite intrigued if this is not the case, 'cause if so an OS Giken unit will be going onto my MINI wishlist.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:04 AM
xaurfang
1st Gear
some said the quaife lsd made specifically for r53, but also will fit r56?or do they also make the r56 version of it?

How big is the LSD and the box is actually?I'm planning to buy it on my trip overseas

Last edited by xaurfang; 06-06-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xaurfang
some said the quaife lsd made specifically for r53, but also will fit r56?or do they also make the r56 version of it?

How big is the LSD and the box is actually?I'm planning to buy it on my trip overseas
Originally they had one for the R53 and another for the R56. Because of the torque output of the R56 they set up the engagement pressure a little different. Many drivers complained about this and they have since just been using the same set up as the R53. So pretty much all the used LSD's you find and any new ones they sell now work in both the R53 and R56.

The box it self is roughly 10 inches cube from what I recall

Old 06-08-2013, 06:22 AM
MattyKHZ
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Focus ST170 also uses same Quaife. Mini tuners it seems charge more than Ford tuners here in UK so I got the Focus version.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Manfrednl
Neutral
But does someone know if it is possible to retrofit a LSD, let's say Quaife, on the AISIN 6 speed auto tranny?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:28 AM
9krpm
1st Gear
LSD does not really have anything do with transmission in general. It is connected to the axles that send torque to make the wheels spin. Having a LSD will give you better traction in extreme situations like hard cornering or snow by sending equal amounts of torque to both wheels. Under normal conditions it does nothing.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:31 AM
9krpm
1st Gear
Quaife requires getrag 6 speed for bolt on but I'm sure it could be retrofitted.

http://new.minimania.com/part/NMG100...Cooper-S-6-spd

Old 04-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Hi, this should explain it
if I ever get my engine together I am treating myself to one. (still stuck on bearings)

Old 04-07-2014, 08:49 PM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
No is is asking what it does; what is being asked is has it been done, or does anyone know of a LSD for the AUTOMATIC?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No matter, Richardsperry and I are loving ours!

Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I am about to upgrade my stock one to the OS giken one. So you will see a stock LSD up for sale very soon.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:52 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Manfrednl
But does someone know if it is possible to retrofit a LSD, let's say Quaife, on the AISIN 6 speed auto tranny?
No.

I've asked around from all known MINI tuners in the US for my wife's car, and the answer has been a consistent "we don't think it will fit" due to packaging differences between Getrag (manual) and Aisin (auto) transmissions.

One got back to me with "if you give us the car and pay us to explore on your dime, maybe we could figure something out. But no promises". I cut my losses, bought better tires, and learned to drive around open-end diff's limitations.

a

Old 09-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Carrboroman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by afadeev
No.

I've asked around from all known MINI tuners in the US for my wife's car, and the answer has been a consistent "we don't think it will fit" due to packaging differences between Getrag (manual) and Aisin (auto) transmissions.

One got back to me with "if you give us the car and pay us to explore on your dime, maybe we could figure something out. But no promises". I cut my losses, bought better tires, and learned to drive around open-end diff's limitations.

a
Hi, sorry for the necrobump but it seems nobody verified if it is possible to put a mechanical LSD into an Aisin autobox and I really would like to get one on my R56/N18 auto... not sure if the question is right but, would that be possible to verify if the original differential has the same P/N on both manual and automatic? (I guess I'm trying to understand if the differential is a component specific to the transmission or the drivetrain/axle/engine) ...some practical data/experience would be really helpful..

.. thanks a lot!

P.s.

I'll talk to the local mini dealer next week, maybe they have an open transmission or can verify somehow...

Old 09-05-2017, 06:58 AM
Carrboroman
2nd Gear
Hello, quick update, after some research, it turns out the differential is as expected inside the transmission box, which makes me think it is unlikely the Getrac one and the Aisin would be interchangeable.

Also, considering the differential connects to the axels, I had a look at those parts, hoping they would have been the same but nope, the axels are different P/N depending if you have a manual or automatic.

So, it could be due to different length of the axels/transmission but (worst case) due to different shaft profile.

The other problem would likely be the main gear attach holes, which could be different too.

I contacted Quaife, just to understand if making a custom one is a possibility (unlikely but..)

Looking around I found a guy who did something similar to what may be needed:

http://evtv.me/2010/01/mini-cooper-c...rain-assembly/

Getting a not finished differential, and having a company capable of machine the right shaft profile/holes *may* be the way to go...not even thought about costs for now.

..keep you posted.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Carrboroman
2nd Gear
Quick update, for those interested, this is the only (AFAIK) picture of an Aisin transmission on the internet:

the open differential is different (no pun intended!) , twelve bolts instead of ten and seems to me the gears are bigger compared to a Getrac manual.

Btw, Quaife replied they can make a custom diff, but indeed the minimum order is 10 pcs... I will have to pass.

*so*, after talking to the dealer, I'll proceed converting the car to manual....while a bit skeptical initially, it turns out that it is not so crazy.

Basically, even if I had a manual already, a lot of work to mount the LSD would have been anyway required...so, it all comes to find a decent second hand manual tranny, as I will anyway pick "racing" stuff for axels, clutch, flywheel, short throw stick etc..

..nice week-end project

Old 09-13-2017, 03:06 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have my old (open) diff and can take some measurements off of it if you can find some thing on the aisin diff to compare it to. just looking at that pic the aisin diff appears to be a lot longer between the axles than the manual. I think i have a few pics on here before i swapped them

down a few posts show pics of quaife before it went in
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ic-tune-2.html

it was swapped for a quaife

Old 09-14-2017, 07:50 PM
Carrboroman
2nd Gear
Thanks, appreciated, but Quaife asked for an actual Aisin diff in order to make the custom one, so that's a requirement for them.

I abandoned the idea of pursuing a torsen diff for the autobox, I'm now in contact with Way in order to get a Getrac+Quaife and all the parts needed to convert the car to manual.

Will open a new thread about the conversion as can't really see anything about R56/N18, it may help other people!

Old 04-24-2020, 05:04 AM
Ellie1972
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Euler-Spiral
Hi, this should explain it How to install a Limited Slip Differential in a MINI Cooper S pt1 - YouTube if I ever get my engine together I am treating myself to one. (still stuck on bearings)
best follow modminis install....

Old 04-24-2020, 09:26 AM
Lex2008
6th Gear
Received 147 Likes on 129 Posts
I wish they were available for the automatic transaxle. An open diff is pretty lame.

The following users liked this post:
Ellie1972 (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 12:24 PM
thebmwnut
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Carrboroman
Quick update, for those interested, this is the only (AFAIK) picture of an Aisin transmission on the internet:

the open differential is different (no pun intended!) , twelve bolts instead of ten and seems to me the gears are bigger compared to a Getrac manual.

Btw, Quaife replied they can make a custom diff, but indeed the minimum order is 10 pcs... I will have to pass.

*so*, after talking to the dealer, I'll proceed converting the car to manual....while a bit skeptical initially, it turns out that it is not so crazy.

Basically, even if I had a manual already, a lot of work to mount the LSD would have been anyway required...so, it all comes to find a decent second hand manual tranny, as I will anyway pick "racing" stuff for axels, clutch, flywheel, short throw stick etc..

..nice week-end project
sounds like you need to find at least 10 people that will commit (pay up front assuming) and a group of people will be happy.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:29 PM
Lex2008
6th Gear
Even if we had ten people, what the cost per unit be?

Old 04-24-2020, 05:04 PM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lex2008
I wish they were available for the automatic transaxle. An open diff is pretty lame.
Well, there is a company that already made lsd´s for the r56 automatic transmission, the cost is 2.5k. A little expensive but I think it's worth it..

Old 04-24-2020, 07:07 PM
Lex2008
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sub3622
Well, there is a company that already made lsd´s for the r56 automatic transmission, the cost is 2.5k. A little expensive but I think it's worth it..
Which company is that?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Quaife LSD