Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Flashpoint Header reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 09:10 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by CSP
I know this post is 2 years old, but AFAIK, exhaust wouldn't affect boost levels at all for a supercharged car. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Theoretically a less restricted exhaust can drop the boost gauge reading, just like a freer flowing head. Lower boost gauge reading does not mean bad.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:17 AM
rdmello
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milltek sounds like the right choice over Flashpoint.

Now I'm deciding between Milltek and RMW. RMW would give me some options for future mods, but the reality is that I'll probably just enjoy the car the way it is. So I'm leaning towards Milltek.

Anyone care to take this thread any further off topic? Opinions on RMW? The Motoring Alliance site loves it.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:29 AM
RogueMini
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i spun around a lot on the repacement header decision, as everyone does. my conclusion was that the RMW street header and milltek are probably the best choices from a quality and performance potential standpoint for a street car, and would pick the flashpoint for an economical stock replacement that also seems to be of high quality.
i will always spend a little more for a performance gain when i have to upgrade. i bought the milltek over the RMW on price point; i would have got the RMW if it was cheaper.
i think people on that other web site are pretty biased, so i wouldnt worry too much about that.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:31 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Theoretically a less restricted exhaust can drop the boost gauge reading, just like a freer flowing head. Lower boost gauge reading does not mean bad.
I'm not understanding... It's after compression. How does this affect pre-compression levels at all? When exhaust is open, intake is closed. Isn't that essentially a "wall" that separates boost from any exhaust changes? The volume of the whole compression system doesn't change at all.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:44 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by CSP
I'm not understanding... It's after compression. How does this affect pre-compression levels at all? When exhaust is open, intake is closed. Isn't that essentially a "wall" that separates boost from any exhaust changes? The volume of the whole compression system doesn't change at all.
You are forgetting "Overlap". There is a small window of time when the exhaust and intake are open at the same time, this is refereed to as "Overlap". A better flowing header will change the flow dynamics of the engine, resulting a slightly lower boost level in the intake. Again, not a bad thing, but something to be aware of.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:14 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
breathing

Think of the SC boost gauge like a DMM, as opposed to an oscilloscope. It reads an average over time as opposed to a snapshot in time. At any given moment there is a cylinder being at the exhale and inhale transition where there is overlap. Air is compressible which adds to the averaging effect. So the exhaust system, is a part of the links in the breathing chain starting from the air intake snooker and ends at the tailpipes. Any restriction in the chain is like a compromised lung - usually not good.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:37 AM
Hingis
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
So most are considering the Miltek or RMW header as the best, what about the Mynes V2? Any opinions on that..

Old 11-07-2017, 03:35 PM
rdmello
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hingis
So most are considering the Miltek or RMW header as the best, what about the Mynes V2? Any opinions on that..
I ruled out the Mynes because it was too expensive.

I think I'll go with the Milltek. Hoping for a black Friday deal. The RMW is a little more expensive and I think it's a little too aggressive for my usual goals with the car.