Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Flashpoint Header reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flashpoint Header reviews?

Hi there,

My car has the stock exhaust manifold, bolted up to a Milltek cat-back exhaust. I love the Milltek, and have looked into getting the matching Milltek header, but it is really, REALLY expensive...

I've just seen a new (to me) header on the market for us R53 owners, the Flashpoint, sold at Way Motor Works.

http://www.waymotorworks.com/flashpo...eader-cat.html

The price on this Header is certainly attractive, but I don't know enough about it to make a purchase decision yet.

I would like to see if anyone out there in NAM land has this header, and find out what you think about it.

• How is the build quality, especially compared to competitors?
• What country is it made in?
• Does it have any droning at certain RPM's?
• Does it throw any CEL codes/light up warning icons in your gauges?
• How much louder than stock is it?
• Is it too loud for daily driver duty?
• Does it literally just bolt right up, or are there unforeseen challenges with the installation (having to remove heat shields, modify/bend/relocate anything)?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by jonnieoh; 02-22-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 AM
juggerknot89
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to start with new Exhausts??

I'm looking into replacing my exhaust system but I'm not sure where to start. I have a 2004 MCS manual transmission. I've seen headers online on amazon and ebay but I don't know If I can trust those. What pipe diameters should I be looking at, 2-5/8? What do you think about the MiniMania exhaust kits? Any info would be awesome.

Last edited by juggerknot89; 02-22-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
juggerknowt89; are you looking at just a cat-back system, (which is much more common and arguably quite a bit less commitment)?

The entire exhaust system is 2 parts, as you know: the first part is the exhaust manifold, going from the cylinder head to just past the catalytic converter. Then the second part is the long pipe, resonators, mufflers and tips.

Most common exhaust mods out there are just from the catalytic converter on back. That's what I've done so far, swapped out my stock exhaust for a Milltek, which I love.

But the exhaust manifold (header) is the part I'm interested in now, specifically wondering about the Flashpoint header. So if you have information about that header, please post that information here.

Otherwise, there are tons and tons of threads about different exhausts from Milltek, Borla, Magnaflow, the "one-ball" modded stock exhaust, SuperSprint, Megan Racing, etc. (It's a long list). I'd recommend searching for the information you need in other threads, to keep on the original topic. Absolutely no offense meant...

Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
Hi there,

I've just seen a new (to me) header on the market for us R53 owners, the Flashpoint, sold at Way Motor Works.

http://www.waymotorworks.com/flashpo...eader-cat.html

The price on this Header is certainly attractive, but I don't know enough about it to make a purchase decision yet.

I would like to see if anyone out there in NAM land has this header, and find out what you think about it.

• How is the build quality, especially compared to competitors?
• What country is it made in?
• Does it have any droning at certain RPM's?
• Does it throw any CEL codes/light up warning icons in your gauges?
• How much louder than stock is it?
• Is it too loud for daily driver duty?
• Does it literally just bolt right up, or are there unforeseen challenges with the installation (having to remove heat shields, modify/bend/relocate anything)?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.
It doesn't look like it would flow that much better than stcok:

I hate to say it, but if you are going to get any real results, you are going to have to spend some real money. My recommendation would be the RMW street header. I've had mine for almost 5 years and it's still doing great!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Minian
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the flashpoint for a few months now. Like you I was sceptic about it, but took the plunge.
It is a well made header, but I cleaned it up just a little to match the gasket and head.
If you're not meticulous, yes it does bolt right up with no issue what so ever.
It will make your exhaust a little louder. It was too loud with my Alta so I put the stock exhaust back on and that is louder than stock, but not loud enough to hear the pop & gurgle the way I want to hear it.
There is/was no CEL at all on my Mini.

hope that helps.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:10 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Thanks, Minian. When you had both the Flashpoint header and your Alta cat-back, was it just overall too loud, or was there an RPM-related droning or higher concentration of noise happening?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Minian
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
Thanks, Minian. When you had both the Flashpoint header and your Alta cat-back, was it just overall too loud, or was there an RPM-related droning or higher concentration of noise happening?
No RPM drone,but I didn't leave it on long enough to find out.
It was too loud for me, but the real issue was it had a horrible tone.

Edit-
After re-reading the above I want to clarify that the Flashpoint Header was not at fault, it was the combination of header and cat-back that was not to "my" liking. The header was a good purchase, I was at fault for not thinking things through. (Tone changes when exhaust combo changes)

Last edited by Minian; 04-11-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-17-2014, 07:04 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Anybody have anymore feedback?!
It looks like I may have a split/leaking cat...
I will look at it more closely in the AM, but meantime, I am looking for a well priced street legal header (no codes) that is MILD in sound AND hopefully $$...
I don't want to make a drone...and Flashpoint one here seems to be a decent $$..just not a lot of info around....

Old 05-25-2014, 04:20 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
I would say that the header would be worth the money, especially since it has a built in cat as well. Way Motor Works sells top quality product and I wouldn't think that this header is any different

Old 01-28-2015, 12:58 AM
Alingarhs
2nd Gear
I'm going to bump this because it is really hard to find any good reviews on it. Anyone have it? How does it compare to other headers performance wise?

Old 01-29-2015, 04:27 PM
Alingarhs
2nd Gear
No one owns this? WMW wont even get back to me...

Old 01-29-2015, 08:55 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Alingarhs
No one owns this? WMW wont even get back to me...
What do you want to know? We've sold over 100 of them and had great luck, we use them in the shop all the time when people have broken stock headers.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-29-2015, 09:07 PM
Alingarhs
2nd Gear
I want to know if these are more of stock replacement, or if there is any power to be had out of them.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:02 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
like most headers you can only expect to get a couple horsepower out of it. And it does have a high flow cat. The mistake most people make is they think they are going to get 20hp like a chevy in the old days, but that is not reality. To get more out of a header it will have to get LOUD, that's just the nature of it. This is a good compromise as it is not too loud, fits right, is a quality part, flows a little better, and is cost effective.
I wish more people that have them would post on here, but usually when people have a part that works, does what they expect, and has no issues they never need to talk about it.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-31-2015, 06:19 PM
zamfield
3rd Gear
Had mine fitted yesterday at Mach V in Sterling VA.
Sounds awesome with Way's Stratosphere cat back... not cheap (and he don't discount !! &#128516 but, wow why a set up!!

Couldn't give you dyno / hp numbers but the butt dyno says its good!
Boost dropped a little... normal when freeing flow.
Pulling 17.6 now.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:26 PM
Alingarhs
2nd Gear
Awesome, thank you for the input. Do you have any rattling problems since switching it out?

Old 02-01-2015, 03:34 PM
zamfield
3rd Gear
None, but that depends on you or the shop you use.
They did have to bend one of the hangers quite a bit however, to center it.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:33 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Any more opinions on this header? Would it pair up on a stock JCW well?

The following users liked this post:
madcanvis (03-17-2023)
Old 06-02-2017, 09:00 AM
rdmello
2nd Gear
I wouldn't mind hearing more about this header too. I would be pairing it with a Borla Street cat-back.

The Borla Street is just slightly louder than stock. I'd like to go a little louder, but don't want any drone, or resonant vibrations.

How might this compare to the Megan header with another brand highflow cat welded on?

Old 06-02-2017, 04:28 PM
ih8cornnuts
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I have one, been on the car for about 5 years. Sounds great especially with the Stramosphere Exhaust. Only issue is either I need a new o2 sensor or the cat is bad.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:20 AM
rdmello
2nd Gear
Bump

Still looking for more feedback on the Flashpoint header. I'm deciding between the Flashpoint and the OBX which will need a cat welded on.

I'd like to go a little louder but not aggressively loud.

I'll pair it with a Borla street cat back which is a little louder than stock, but nowhere near most aftermarket exhaust systems.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:31 PM
RogueMini
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my cat failed on my ‘05 R53. i was looking at the flashpoint, but went with the milltek because the milltek is known to be top quality, and i like the longer tubes for the best chance at a performance improvement. i’m in CA, so i cant have any CELs when the smog check time comes around, and was taking a chance on a non-CARB approved header and wanted a system with a high quality cat hoping to avoid CEL issues. the milltek has had no problems (no CELs, no fit issues, small performance improvement, slight sound increase). i am running the stock cat-back, so its still pretty quiet. thats a great price Way has on the milltek right now, BTW.

Last edited by RogueMini; 11-03-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:17 AM
rdmello
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RogueMini
my cat failed on my ‘05 R53. i was looking at the flashpoint, but went with the milltek because the milltek is known to be top quality, i like the longer tubes for the best chance at a performance improvement. i’m in CA, so i cant have any CELs and was taking a chance on a non-CARB approved header and wanted a system with a high quality cat hoping to avoid CEL issues. the milltek has had no problems (no CELs, no fit issues, small performance improvement, slight sound increase). i am running the stock cat-back, so its still pretty quiet. thats a great price Way has on the milltek right now, BTW.

Did you notice any changes in the low range of rpms (2000 - 4000)?

Old 11-02-2017, 09:55 AM
RogueMini
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yes: the car lost a tiny bit of power down low. i have to slip the clutch a little more when pulling away from a stop, but its a very slight difference. i did, though, pick up a noticeable increase from about 3500rpm on up, so it was just what i was looking for.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:31 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by zamfield
Had mine fitted yesterday at Mach V in Sterling VA.
Sounds awesome with Way's Stratosphere cat back... not cheap (and he don't discount !! &#128516 but, wow why a set up!!

Couldn't give you dyno / hp numbers but the butt dyno says its good!
Boost dropped a little... normal when freeing flow.
Pulling 17.6 now.
I know this post is 2 years old, but AFAIK, exhaust wouldn't affect boost levels at all for a supercharged car. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Flashpoint Header reviews?