Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain New guy, with a Borla exhaust question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 11:59 PM
RonG
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:smile: Hello, from a new kid on the block. (Well young at heart anyway).
I have been reading posts on this sight for about seven months now and finely decided it was time to get my feet wet.

I've enjoyed reading your posts and have been amazed at the knowledge base on this sight. It proves the old adage, that two heads are better than one. Unless it looks like mine, then you have a real problem.

Now for the real reason that I'm here. I have been thinking of installing a Borla Sport exhaust on my MCS but I have some concerns with the exhaust volume. Since I have the misfortune?, luck?, whatever, of living in California, I get to have my life controlled by the CARB (California Air Resoures Board) and our great traffic laws. Ain't this fun.

Anyway by law in this state the noise level cannot exceed 98db measured at three feet beyond the exhaust tips at WOT. Has anyone ever checked this? I called Borla and their response was intresting. Quote ( It meets CA noise levels but if you get a ticket take the vehicle to any shop, have it checked and recorded then take the paper work with you when you go to court.) Cool huh, Like I've got time for that.. Do other states have the similar rules? Or are we just the lucky ones.

I have no desire to infringe on anyones ears or rights. But I do like Borla exhausts. If the Sport is to loud then I will have to go with the Street model.

The other question I have is about CAIs. Does anyone know of any CAIs that are CARB approved?

Its possible I could be over reacting to all of this stuff. But I have been busted for both of them in the past. I really don't want to go through that again.

Enough rambling. And I'm looking forward to your help.

Old 03-19-2004, 05:40 AM
Super_MINI
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Borla Sport and it really isn't that loud. I'm sure it meets the 98db requirement but what Borla is saying is that if you get pulled over the Police man probably won't have a db meter and be testing your exhaust to see if it's too loud. He may write you a ticket because in his opinion it's too loud. So you would then have to get it tested by someone to prove it's not too loud and report the results in court. It's up to the descretion of the officer as to if it's too loud or not and if you get a ticket or not.

Old 03-19-2004, 06:29 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are going to drive around worried about a noise violation, I would just get the street exhaust and eliminate that stress from your life.

This advice is coming from someone who just ordered the LOUD Magnaflow. . . . .

Old 03-19-2004, 06:35 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Borla Street ..here.
Went thru.... the following....
stock
magnaflow
stock
quicksilver
stock
Borla Street

The Borla Street is a bit louder than stock... IMO the best compromise between sound and power. Nice sound. NO DRONE. minimum power gains.
You must listen to them individually...and make your own decision.
It's a very personal...choice :smile:
Peace,
D

Old 03-19-2004, 07:20 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
d-mini-ero,

I hate to say but I am following in your footsteps ... sort of.

stock
magnaflow
one-ball

http://www.ross-tech.net/andy/mini/exhaustcompare.html

Old 03-19-2004, 07:50 AM
JBOO
2nd Gear
Hey Andy-

How's that One-ball working for you?

I'm being serious here.

Old 03-19-2004, 07:51 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
>>Borla Street ..here.
>>Went thru.... the following....
>>stock
>>magnaflow
>>stock
>>quicksilver
>>stock
>>Borla Street
>>
>>The Borla Street is a bit louder than stock... IMO the best compromise between sound and power. Nice sound. NO DRONE. minimum power gains.
>>You must listen to them individually...and make your own decision.
>>It's a very personal...choice :smile:
>>Peace,
>> D

D,

I'm in CA also and this just makes up my mind -- Borla Street it is.

Thanks for all your posts. You have a lot of good information (or you have me fooled)

Earl

Old 03-19-2004, 07:55 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear

>>Anyway by law in this state the noise level cannot exceed 98db measured at three feet beyond the exhaust tips at WOT.

As an aside, sorry for the thread hijack, do motorcycles have this same restriction of 98db?

Old 03-19-2004, 08:03 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

>>I'm in CA also and this just makes up my mind -- Borla Street it is.
>>
>>Thanks for all your posts. You have a lot of good information (or you have me fooled)

RonG (and Earl),
Aloha and welcome to NAM.
If you really like the sound of a louder exhaust then the Borla Sport/Race is louder than the Borla street but only moderately louder. You can drive it quietly when you need to. Just don't add an exhaust header with no race cat.

In California I think a Borla Race could do OK and survive. Never can tell if a cop will be looking for you though.
Only a few CAI are CARB certified. Dan at PiloMini would know since he has made intakes for sale and people have asked. Search for threads on CARB.

If you choose Borla street you will have no problems with sound and enough power gains that you will be just fine.
There will be no question that your exhaust is within legal limits and it will perform well with street and some autocross. For regular track use the Borla Race is better.

Old 03-19-2004, 08:05 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
The One-Ball lets out a nice growl at WOT while remaining almost as quiet as stock in all other driving situations. I have no problem with an aftermarket exhaust being much louder than stock at WOT if it makes some power, but there is no reason why it should be loud at cruise or part throttle. The Magnaflow just got annoying after a while.

Old 03-19-2004, 08:14 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
At 3 meters (over 9'), 98dbc (I'm guessing c) should be fairly easy to stay under. I believe this entails putting the SPL meter at a 45 degree angle from the tip(s), usually off the ground the same elevation, and I believe angled upward at 45 degree angle (like toward the antenna). From the info I saw, there are variations allowed though...

I did my QS at .5 meters (MUCH) closer and got:

1k = 102
2k = 99
3k = 102
4k = 98
5k = 98
6k = 100

WOT, as I recall was a tad higher than those highs, but I forgot. I was told that WOT was not important as we don't live there often, supposedly. I think I was told that 75% of max throttle is the critical area to measure, so around 5k.

I now have a Borla turbo muffler on a straight pipe system (battery box removed), and it is generally less quiet inside compared to the QS numbers, but outside, I did get higher readings. It is very deep. I'm sourcing a Moroso Spiral Flow from Summit Racing soon, and will add that as a resonator of sorts behind the cat. In the meantime, I have noticed no looks from folks while cruising in traffic, and the few police I've seen have not taken notice. At WOT, heads turn though

I live in CA also. I'd say live a little and get it! Find-out what RPMs make the most noise, and when cops are around, keep her in the quieter ranges

Old 03-19-2004, 08:45 AM
JBOO
2nd Gear
Andy-

Not being sarcastic, but have you done any personal dynos yet to compare the one-ball to the magnaflow and/or stock? I remember Helix did awhile back and got a few HP, just wondered what your results were.

J

Old 03-19-2004, 08:48 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Nope, I dyno'ed the Magnaflow and Stock, but not the one-ball. I wouldn't be surprised to see the one-ball much closer to stock than to the Magnaflow as far as power goes.

Old 03-19-2004, 08:51 AM
KeyMini
2nd Gear
I have the sport and it is not as loud as people say. Should not be a problem in Ca. Only a little louder than stock but has a nice growl.

Old 03-19-2004, 10:01 AM
RonG
2nd Gear
:smile: Thanks guys. A little history might help here. I got busted driving a 1999 VW NB with a Super Sprint exhaust . I was going over the Altamont Pass from the central valley to San Francisco. As I got to the top of the hill here sat a CHIP with a sound meter and a motorcycle, I didn't get fifty before he had me stopped. Your right of course about the guys on motorcycles, I don't know how they get away wity it.

I am leaning towards the Borla Race because of the extra power gains and since I don't plan on making a lot of mods I want to get the most bang for the buck.

For minihune I wish I was fooling. It would certently make things awhole lot easier.

As for the CAI, don't try to smog your car unless it has a CARB sticker because it won't pass.

Old 03-19-2004, 10:47 AM
ABTsportsline
3rd Gear
>>At 3 meters (over 9'), 98dbc (I'm guessing c) should be fairly easy to stay under. I believe this entails putting the SPL meter at a 45 degree angle from the tip(s), usually off the ground the same elevation, and I believe angled upward at 45 degree angle (like toward the antenna). From the info I saw, there are variations allowed though...
>>
>>I did my QS at .5 meters (MUCH) closer and got:
>>
>>1k = 102
>>2k = 99
>>3k = 102
>>4k = 98
>>5k = 98
>>6k = 100
>>
>>

interesting readings, but did you record those with a load on the engine or not (i.e. while driving or while sitting in the driveway revving your engine....) it is my understanding the car makes a louder exhaust note with a load on the engine....

cheers
-ABT-

Old 03-19-2004, 12:47 PM
supersulli
2nd Gear
I live in CA, and have the Borla Race, and the Pilo intake. I have had no problems with cops and the volume of my exhaust. I have driven next to them many times with no incident. Probably draws more attention my way though. As for the intake, it only takes ten minutes to switch in and out, so I will just be putting my stocker back in for my smog checks. Borla Race is the way to go!

Old 03-19-2004, 01:20 PM
retroom
4th Gear
The K&N Typhoon intakes for MC and MCS are CARB approved. Go to the CARB home page at http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm, click on After Market Parts Database. Search for Executive order # D-269-27. The Typhoon's approved model number for both MC and MCS are listed.

retroom

Old 03-19-2004, 01:28 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
As a fellow Californian I feel like you may be overreacting a bit. I have one of the loudest exhausts on the market on my car (supersprint sport) and have yet to be hassled by police. As a matter of fact, an officer pulled me over to ask me how I like the car and what I've got done to it. If you don't rip roar around town constantly and make a bad name for yourself, I really wouldn't worry about being hassled by cops. Just make sure your car isn't flashy, try to avoid putting big chrome rims, widebody kits, stickers, stuff like that. If you're low profile, you won't be hassled by the cops, or at least that's the way it is around here. Just my $.02

Old 03-19-2004, 02:53 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
ABT, I'm sure it would be louder under load. But this was an apples-to-apples comparison (both stationary, in the driveway). Most of the tests are indeed run that way though as the SPL meter needs to be a certain distance from the tip(s)...

I agree with ZAMIRZ. I have a dune buggy with a SuperTrapp, now my S with a straight pipe Borla, and have had zero problems with fellow drivers, or police. The drawing of attention to your ride, as in driving style and/or appearance, will not help though. I drive slightly aggressively on public roads, and I don't race on city streets. On the canyon roads to and from my home, I let it rip as there is no one to potentially offend (well maybe some deer), or police to scrutinize the dbs.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:26 PM
ChiliBit
2nd Gear
I use the Borla Race and it is a ***** cat. I have Borla on a supercharged Tacoma and it is much more aggressive. On the MCS, you have to work at it just to hear it. And if you want to feather it, it is quiet as a baby. Of course I no longer live in CA. I left voluntarily. Well, sorta.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:47 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear
I don't know which Borla it is but Nopi has it on sale for $378. Seems like a really good price. Here's a direct link.

I'd love to know more about this.

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:51 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
>>I don't know which Borla it is but Nopi has it on sale for $378. Seems like a really good price. Here's a direct link.
>>
>>I'd love to know more about this.
>>
>>Thanks.

That's the Cooper exhaust and the price isn't great or bad, the S one is significantly more expensive.

Old 03-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Skoobeedu
Banned
retroom--

thanks for the post on CARB. I just ordered Minimania/K&n fliter. I was toying with all the posts about intakes and decided that K&N is the way to go for CARB reasons. As most have pointed out... 10-15mins to change it out, but I can just assume I will be lazy in 2 years and not change it out... wait to the last minute then run late... pay late fees. yada yada yada yada. Ok, well, thats it for now. Thanks again. I am going to search now to make sure that my K&N will work out. does anyone know how the performance is on the minimania K&N?

Old 03-19-2004, 08:49 PM
retroom
4th Gear
Skoobeedu,

Make sure you get the K&N Typhoon intake for CARB. I'm not sure if the MINIMania K&N filter is the same.

This is where I purchased my Typhoon: http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/store/start, when you're there click on "K&N Store" link. The Typhoon part number for the MC is 69-2020, you can search for it after clicking the store link. They sell it for $162.00 plus change, right now they offer free shipping.

retroom

Quick Reply: Drivetrain New guy, with a Borla exhaust question.