Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Anyone with a custom made intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 12:17 PM
atn57
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone made their own custom intake? By this I mean like the box or the elbow that connects the filter. If you did can you show a picture. I am thinking about making my own.

thanks

tony

Old 03-16-2004, 02:12 PM
ABTsportsline
3rd Gear
you could very well make your own - lord knows the VW crew used to do that all the time... i have seen things such as large soda bottles with tops and bottoms cut off and glued together used as intake tubes and sides of pizza boxes cut to shape and shoved in there....

it looks like a$$, but it works. If you are that budget-minded, you know you can buy the Pilo intake for $150.... it is considered a CAI.

or spend the 30 or 40 bucks buying a generic cone filter, and massacre some pizza boxes... you could keep the stock intake tubing, most of the aftermarket CAIs do...

good luck!

-ABT-

Old 03-16-2004, 02:37 PM
sanddan
4th Gear
I made my own after reading a how-to that Dan Pilo wrote on how he did his (for the same reason, save money). If you have basic tools and like to work with your hands it is not that hard to do. See the finished pic of mine.
I sold 2 of just the CAI part, no filter, for $70 ea. That was enough to get back my investment, not counting the time which is ok since I enjoy doing stuff like that. I am working on my own Aux Gage mount for the Tach and will post pics when done.
Cheers
Dan

Old 03-16-2004, 05:52 PM
atn57
4th Gear
Thanks for the info guys .........I like your custom sanddan........I will make one. This is not really to save money. I always like manufacing things. I like stuff like that like you do.

thanks

tony

Old 03-16-2004, 06:38 PM
2Cool
4th Gear
I bought the Pilo, but looking at it you should have no difficulty making a similiar part from scratch, other than the battery connector hanger.

One addition I did was to take a 2" hole saw to the firewall side plastic panel, to open it up to cool air. 6 holes did the trick, plus let the nice blower whine out to play.

Old 03-22-2004, 03:28 PM
911RSAmerica
2nd Gear

Here's the one I fabricated.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:36 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Nice. I like the carbon fiber. Pretty strong looking intake box.

One of the MCS owners in my area made his own intake with parts for a Honda upgrade intake filter and custom hose similar to a K&N typhoon. Seems to work OK for him. He did that before many of the MCS intakes were available.

Old 03-23-2004, 04:37 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>Has anyone made their own custom intake? By this I mean like the box or the elbow that connects the filter. If you did can you show a picture. I am thinking about making my own.
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>
>>tony
Sure have, if the DIY forum were in place this would have been archived.

Old 03-23-2004, 07:45 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear

I was just about to start my own thread on this but the other direction: I modified another car's to work on my MC.

I was at a local oriental market (speed store specializing in scraping Civics and fabby bass) killing the afternoon on Sunday. They had all Toucan Industries product 40% off. Plus they were running a 5% off sale on everything. So I picked up a set of Xenon H7s for $17 and a shift **** for $22. On the top shelf they had a short-ram intake for a Civic. Being the curious type, I cracked it open and it looked like this:

but without the black bung. (I think this is a stock photo.) Having studied the RSpeed stubby for some time, I quickly realized that the bend was very similar (although you can't tell from this photo.) List for the intake was $80 but with 45% off, I figured it was worth a try.

The diameter of the pipe is 3", which is bigger than the RSpeed (or almost any other for that matter) but the kit comes with a reducer to go from 78mm to 63mm (it was written on it.) It's actually a little too big in diameter but it hits the stock air inlet in the woven tube which easily deformed. The 63mm end is barely snug on the throttle and seals well with a clamp. The 78mm end is tight on the tube.

I made two cuts, one on either side of the bend. The original short side had to go toward the throttle and was, in the end, still the short end. The longer end, I cut at what was equivilent to the original short end but may be a little shorter. I didn't measure because I marked in place and then cut. This orientation was required to have the bung point toward the engine. The kit also came with a mounting bracket that slips under the filter clamp. The free end of the bracket reached the original filer-box forward mounting screw. It took only 3 bend to reorient the bracket flat to reach the hole. Total time was only 75 minutes with about 25 of that getting the stock hose off the throttle.

The filter itself is large and I had to test the fliter orientation a few time (closing the hood) to make certain it fit. When I post the photo, it will be clear how it had to go. But it didn't require anything tricky from the pipe. The bend was tight enough and there plenty of filter to suck through. I'm quite proud of the hack. I think it's a good looker too. Even at full price, it would have been a good deal. But at $48, it was a complete steal. Check back for the picture Thursday.

Old 03-23-2004, 07:54 PM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Pilo intake is pretty much a custom made intake...that is how it got started at least...

Old 03-24-2004, 03:12 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear
I'm back and with a picture. The modded Ractive:

Some things I forgot to mention. The kit, SFC9295, didn't include a clamp for the small end of the step-down adapter. 52 cents at Napa for the 2.5". Big deal. The vent breather hose is too small and I really struggle to get it on as far as it is. I need to find an adapter for either end, and a hose if adapting at the intake. The stock formed hose is not long enough. Don't forget to clean the tube real well after the cuts. Don't want any metal shavings getting in there. The large end of the filter does contact the bonnet liner but there is sufficient give and space behind to accomidate.

This is loud compared to the stock box and resonator. It flows more than enough air. After a single wet day, I can't tell whether it's more power, but it does accelerate above 3k somewhat better.

So, if you're looking to save some bucks, this is a good alternative.

John Stuart

Moderator: SCCA STS Forum

DancesWithCones@northamericanmotoring.com