Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Vipec engine management - A new way to blow your engine!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:23 AM
WolfGTI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not doubting your tuning ability, I've tuned my own GTI on standalone. However who cares if RMW is touting their own product? Let them, it's their right. I agree it might be overkill for 98% of the R53 drivers but there is that 2% that want all they can get from their cars and for them this is a viable solution. I can guarantee the a full standalone will make more power and be overall more driveable than any piggy back because the resolution and number of parameters you can control if way more than any pigguback offers. It's like suspension for 98% of the R53 people simple shock and spring upgrades are fine, but for 2% they want coilovers and adj camber plates and within that 2% there are those that want coilovers with remote reservoirs. Let them spend their money..

Originally Posted by PAImportTuner
I disagree for the 98% of the R53 owners, blame the tuner not the software.

There is no amount of typing that anyone will say on here that will change my thought process. I'm quite surprised Kimball is part of the RMW camp, as someone like him could be in his own. I fully understand the capabilities of ViPEC, that is not the argument.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:20 AM
llabmik2
3rd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by PAImportTuner
Yes, I have used the other systems but not on a MINI, it should not be any different. I'm not in a spending $600 to prove a point mood so I'm not going to get the AEM FIC. Tuning is just that no matter where your background was in. I once consider the R53 to be a glorified Neon and I've always liken the MINI to being the love child of VW GTI and Honda Civic. Sorry I had to say that but it's my observation after having both the R56 and current R53. The point is stop making the R53 out to be so high tech and hard to work on. For you it is, for me it is not.

I'm not a Bytetronik supporter(due to price) though I'm support open competitive markets. So that's the only thing about it that I like, it's an option. Now with that the RMW camp will say ViPEC is the only solution, they are going to say Bytetronik is a total waste, that it will blow your engine, and that spending 1300 more on top of the $750 is 10X better. I disagree for the 98% of the R53 owners, blame the tuner not the software.

There is no amount of typing that anyone will say on here that will change my thought process. I'm quite surprised Kimball is part of the RMW camp, as someone like him could be in his own. I fully understand the capabilities of ViPEC, that is not the argument.
I like RMW that's why i'm in the "camp". Have you ever sat down and talked to Jan? How many times have you talked to him on the phone? I think hes a super nice dude. Yes I can tune and build motors. I just didnt have the time to do the MINI. So off it went to RMW. I can say that I've never been happier with it. Runs smooth even with the big cam. Hell its running 115mph in the 1/4 with the stock exhaust. So that's why I'm a "fanboy" of RMW. Their parts PERFORM their tune PERFORMS....with that said. When the Vipec hits the market I will be doing my own tuning.

Do I agree with you that most MINI owners will not need the Vipec? Yes. If you have a I/H/E/P then a tune on the stock ECU will do you fine. As soon as you step up to a BIG CAM, BVH, Rotrex, TVS, Bigger injectors then 550's, E85, anything of that nature yes you should have the Vipec. The stock ECU will not be able to accurately control these things. Hell it wont even idle with the big cam by its self, it throws out so many misfire codes. So it doesnt matter if you are a race team or not. If you want to make the most power with your car and make it right you will have to step it up. NO Piggy back is going to be able to control any of that. Period. You have to step up to a Vipec. Its going to be the only plug and play option. AEM, Haltech, Motec ect ect will not release a PnP ecu there is no market for it. Plus the AEM can control the CAN functions and like I said its a POS. The new AEM will be able to but thats going to be years before they even think about making one for a MINI. Go with the big markets first.

Vipec sets the pricing by the way, if anybody is caught not selling it for the price they set, they get there rights stripped and are no longer able to sell it. So if you think that Jan is going to mark it though the roof he cant.....I dont know why you guys think he marks crap through the roof anyways. R&D isnt cheap.

Ill tell you this, I am a "fanboy", to me one of the most important things is a engine management system is tip in control, tell me where that's at in the tronic....tell me why the car runs great one day and shitty the next. I know why do you? I know you are not trying to get people to buy the Tronic, but for a safe system to control the motor there is no other option....go buy a MegaSqurit and see what you loose in your car....yes you can control everything in the motor, in the car electronics not so much....Youll have lights on in the dash, you wont have Cruise control, A/C, seat belt lights will stay on ect ect. They cant control the CAN system. The Vipec will do all that minus OBD inspection and in all honesty who GAF? If you are buying the Vipec your not buying it to stay street legal your buying it to make power.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:30 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by llabmik2
If you are buying the Vipec your not buying it to stay street legal your buying it to make power.
More reliably and easyer than ANY other option currently avalible, PERIOD!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:43 AM
ColinGreene
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PA, your aware because of your lack of experience on the trial of any systems on the mini it makes your opinion sort of moot, A mini is not a honda, as low tech as you think it is. theirs plenty of other stuff going on behind the scenes your not aware of in the electronics, why do you think this took a while to get to market. My car only has one light on the dash and thats because of a bad airbag sensor, caused by someone in the shop.
regardless, Why continue to argue when you made it clear your have no interest in buying one?
Also instead of speculating as to what the vipec can and cant do and what its like. why not ask the only person in the world with the PNP on their personal car...
Oh well gosh thats me....
Just for reference....
damn i cant get youtube to work.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:53 AM
llabmik2
3rd Gear
Colin you want me to post up a video?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:54 AM
ColinGreene
Banned
yeah i tried but it just was giving me fits, do you know where they are?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 AM
llabmik2
3rd Gear
PM me your youtube, and what one and ill link it.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:20 AM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this will be nice if i ever get around to building up my extra block. this is plug and play for both the R50 and R53 right?

Old 11-22-2011, 10:22 AM
ColinGreene
Banned
Llabmik2 should have a vid up for me, thanks man!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:25 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Yes sir. It will open the door to individual throttle bodies, or reliable booost (Depending on internal engine mods) for your R50.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:28 AM
llabmik2
3rd Gear
Posting these for Colin.

With the stock ECU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTGQMQqYl4w

With the Vipec first start up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGX0GITkxnU

Vipec tuned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZRGEVCCF8o

Old 11-22-2011, 10:30 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Nevermind.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:31 AM
ColinGreene
Banned
Its like youtube is trying to get me today. lol nevermind.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:37 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
On M/U there is the screen shots of controllable peramiters, any chance we could get that in here?

Old 11-22-2011, 10:40 AM
ColinGreene
Banned
Its your thread, just pull it over here.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:42 AM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Yes sir. It will open the door to individual throttle bodies, or reliable booost (Depending on internal engine mods) for your R50.
exactly, this would solve any issues with those hayward performance ITB GT heads.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:05 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
This is the menu of peramiters in the Vipec. All of which are able to be edited to the tuner's liking. (Screenshots from RMW)

Name:  Vipecmaps.png
Views: 1005
Size:  94.9 KB
Name:  vipecmaps1.png
Views: 997
Size:  81.6 KB
Name:  vipecmaps2.png
Views: 992
Size:  102.6 KB
Name:  vipecmaps3.png
Views: 1010
Size:  93.3 KB
Name:  vipecmaps4.png
Views: 993
Size:  90.4 KB
Name:  vipecmaps5.png
Views: 1020
Size:  92.3 KB

Here is the menu for ByteTroniK (To make things fair)

Name:  ScreenHunter_01Nov231202.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  58.8 KB
Name:  ScreenHunter_02Nov231203.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  20.8 KB

I really dont see how a piggyback could compete.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:07 PM
stevecars60
6th Gear
So Rick, are you going to be the first? The software looks wonderful, the word magical has been taken. It's got everything.

"I really dont see how a piggyback could compete." Not anything I'v ever seen, ever. There is a bit of a learning curve. Is it fair to think it has a base cooper OE tune? And 2 large?
AND a happy, all be it broke, Thanksgiving to all

Old 11-22-2011, 06:39 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Hey Steve LONG time no see.

Nope I wont be the first one with this delightful pice of electronic equipment. That honor goes to Jan (with his adapted universal system) and Colin (With the first official P&P unit), I doubt that I will even have one of theese systems this time next year unfortunatly. It is deffenatly on the top of the list after my rebuild gets completed. It aint all bad though, it will give me some time to get familliar with the S/W that runs it.

From what I gather, there will be multiple base maps avalible, based off of comon mods. Kinda like ByteTroniK did in the begining. (Maby this time I will actually get a base map?)

Holding off on my purchase will also let people find bigger injectors (Looking for 750-1000cc) and other hardware to be developed to maximise the potental of this ECU. (Such as electronic bypass valves, and bigger throttlebodies.)
It will also give me time to source parts for a true return fuel system using an aeromotive 1000 external pump. This time when my car goes on E-gas it will be 100% ready for it.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:01 PM
ColinGreene
Banned
The Injectors Throttle bodys and that type of stuff are easy to find, Pm me if you need info.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
When it comes time, I will do that.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Pricing and a release date for the ViPEC ECU is coming soon!

Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the final production was still a few months away

Also is pricing around the $2500 mark?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:16 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Sorry D-MAN its closer than you think, and the first 30 are sold! Sadly I am not on that list.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:05 AM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Price?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain Vipec engine management - A new way to blow your engine!