Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain How to Remove PCV Hose for OCC Install?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 01:07 PM
metro62
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to Remove PCV Hose for OCC Install?

I realize this is probably a pretty basic question for most of you, but I've searched the threads and cannot find an answer. Nor do I want to force anything and break expensive plastic engine parts.

I am trying to install a BSH OCC on my 2007 MCS. How do I remove the driver-side PCV line for this installation? Does the upper/outer plastic section of the cam cover need to come off, and if so, how do you release it? Also, how do you release the plastic clips that hold the PCV hose? (The lower clip almost looks like a tie-wrap - is it a one-time-use clip of some sort?)

Old 10-02-2011, 06:35 PM
BBoshart
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metro62
I realize this is probably a pretty basic question for most of you, but I've searched the threads and cannot find an answer. Nor do I want to force anything and break expensive plastic engine parts.

I am trying to install a BSH OCC on my 2007 MCS. How do I remove the driver-side PCV line for this installation? Does the upper/outer plastic section of the cam cover need to come off, and if so, how do you release it? Also, how do you release the plastic clips that hold the PCV hose? (The lower clip almost looks like a tie-wrap - is it a one-time-use clip of some sort?)
For the cylinder head cover end, I removed the little clip that goes over the PCV tube. You have to squeeze both sides near the bottom and pop it straight up. It took a little bit of time to get it.

On the intake side of the PCV tube, its just a zip tie that you have to cut off.

I installed the BSH can using their instructions with no problems. Here's a link in case yours didn't come with them: http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...ons/n14cc1.pdf

Old 10-03-2011, 06:04 AM
metro62
2nd Gear
OK, now I understand about the tie-wrap at the end near the intake pipe.

Where I am still confused is at the valve cover end. The BSH instructions and other related photos in this forum do seem to show an external clip around the hose at the valve cover end. My hose has some molded lugs on the exterior and it appears to be held in place with the top section of the valve cover itself - or else the clip is further in, underneath the valve cover. (If the clip is already missing, the hose is sure on there pretty tight!) I have been hesitant to pry away on the cover for fear of breaking something.

Last edited by metro62; 10-03-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 AM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
Looking at you picture, it appears you do not have the factory clip which slides down between the prongs. I know most of the PVC fittings are tight and require quite the effort to wiggle and pull it free. I would suspect it is the only thing required. And the intake is a zip tie you will have to break/cut to free it. I made sure I looked over all the pictures on the BSH OCC forums on NAM. THe problem I had was figuring out which adapter went where. But once again I carefully looked at other users pictures. Good luck.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 AM
accesstd
1st Gear
Based on your picture, you are completely missing the clip that is supposed to be there. With that said, there is nothing else that is holding that hose. The hose should just slide right out. Just twist it back and forth and pull. That's all there is to it. There is nothing further under the valve cover to undo.

Just so you know, those molded lugs on the exterior of the hose are what the clip (that you are missing) slide over to hold the hose in place on that end. With the clip removed, they do nothing else. Just pull that bad boy right out. You're not going to break anything.

Originally Posted by metro62
OK, now I understand about the tie-wrap at the end near the intake pipe.

Where I am still confused is at the valve cover end. The BSH instructions and other related photos in this forum do seem to show an external clip around the hose at the valve cover end. My hose has some molded lugs on the exterior and it appears to be held in place with the top section of the valve cover itself - or else the clip is further in, underneath the valve cover. (If the clip is already missing, the hose is sure on there pretty tight!) I have been hesitant to pry away on the cover for fear of breaking something.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 AM
metro62
2nd Gear
Thanks for the input, guys! I'll give it a good shot tonight after work.

Edit / Followup:

I tried pulling the PCV hose when the engine was hot and it came right off. The inside of the hose was quite coated with oil, so I am interested to see how the OCC does. I cleaned up the ports and used 3M silicone paste on the BSH fittings/o-rings. Total install time was about 10-minutes.

Last edited by metro62; 10-04-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
I haven't received my BSH OCC yet, should get it by this Thursday, (also ordered the boost tap) for passenger side block off. Anyway, I looked at my PVC hose and my clip is gone also. Mine is an 07 S. Must be something that has been looked at at one time and the clips never put back. Hope my install goes OK and I'm looking forward to seeing how it works. According to everyone I've encountered they are an excellent mod since with the turbo you are in boost mode quite often.