Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Oil Catch Cans let me know what you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:25 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Attention to detail is important whether its the website or the parts they offer. Some people are turned off by horrendous grammar. It appears the site is down. Probably to fix this problem. CRISIS AVERTED! LOL

Last edited by J_'09s; 05-25-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The attention this is receiving is as if this is a break through in technology. Explaining the technological aspects of a catch can?, dragging out the process for a mopar based shop which is located in your own local area does seem a little convenient though. Especially with how to videos and "free" marketing. Hell , probably an employees car.

On topic:

You pay $135 with no machined pcv fittings? You can make a system from a water separator and some hose if you needed to. Justify this can over all the other ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...Q5fAccessories

And thats only for reference

http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/20011.htm

your telling me one piece of bracketing metal is worth $40?

Personally from a technological aspect, the pre compressor side port is the one thats allowing gunk into your turbo/intercooler.

The passenger side port can be blocked off.

I am all for people breaking in to the market but this setup is rediculous, especially the fact that the price varies $40 for a barb and piece of metal.

Maybe they think mini owners are dummies.

Off topic:

@the grammar comments... i completely agree, a place of business !? really!? no spell check? I work for the gov't and written communication is progressively getting worse. The degradation of human communication is a sad fact that is happening.

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 05-25-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 AM
1FST4DR
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djdraddy
I'm not so concerned with financial gain etc. My issue is that I just visited the site that was referenced in his posting. http://www.custombilletstore.com/ I have to say I was a bit shocked at abundance of grammatical errors, malapropos, redundancies, sentence fragments, etc.

This phrase is used throughout the site... What does this mean? I think they mean "accept no imitations." but who knows?

I couldn't read more than a few sentences without a glaring error of one sort or another distracting me. It's not just in one place, it's throughout the entire site.

The site really communicates poorly and reflects badly on the company, its products and its people. Sort of like sending out your resume with spelling errors, very unprofessional.

Whoever is responsible for the company and the site would be very well served by spending a little coin to have the entire site reviewed and proof read by a professional.

Sorry for the rant but first rule in business is "Don't make yourself look like a schmuck"

Good luck with your catch can.
Yeah that maybe true, my standards are high. I guess I'm the one with the problem!

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I'm seeing this more and more it's very bad.

But seriously, there should be zero tolerance for this. Every time someone opens a company's website that company gets to do a sales presentation to a prospective customer. I just think it's a disappointing way to lose customers.

Maybe the biggest problem is that someone thinks I'm a "grammar ****" because I'm offended by this problem. Mediocracy has become the standard, and incompetence is the acceptable. Wow! Just how low will we go?
Holy Crap! Things are much worse than I thought.

So let me get this straight... You say it's OK to send out a resume with errors in spelling, grammar, etc. as long as you're not applying for an Copy Editor's position. Everyone else doesn't need to know how to read and write.

This shouldn't be acceptable in high school much less on a corporate website viewable by the world. This is unprofessional regardless of who the potential customer is. Just because you sell to illiterates doesn't mean you need to be one!

This is like some crazy Twilight Zone episode. Imagine this... you actually seem to be proud of your position. I'm sorry but that's very disappointing a quite a bit scary.
gjn25, my original post to this issue was just what you suggest... I identified a problem and recommended the engagement of a Professional Copy Writer and Proof Reader to address the issue.

I'm sorry but no business owner, regardless of education level or literacy, should be happy with mediocracy in anything connected with his business. I know I wouldn't!.

If someone brought to my attention errors or mistakes in anything that I put forth to represent my company, my products, or my people, I would be embarrassed by my oversight, I would correct it, and make sure it never happened again. I would not be angry with the messenger for pointing out my mistake. That's just stupid, and stupid doesn't stay in business very long.

I'm not the bad guy here. But you know what they say...No good deed goes un-punished!

Once again... Good Luck with your catch Can!
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
The attention this is receiving is as if this is a break through in technology. Explaining the technological aspects of a catch can?, dragging out the process for a mopar based shop which is located in your own local area does seem a little convenient though. Especially with how to videos and "free" marketing. Hell , probably an employees car.

On topic:

You pay $135 with no machined pcv fittings? You can make a system from a water separator and some hose if you needed to. Justify this can over all the other ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...Q5fAccessories

Off topic:

@the grammar comments... i completely agree, a place of business !? really!? no spell check? I work for the gov't and written communication is progressively getting worse. The degradation of human communication is a sad fact that is happening.
djdraddy,

Thanks for your input. I will get with the IT person and address the grammar issues as soon as possible.

To everyone else,

Lets face it this thread was about a Catch Can. No one said we re-invented the wheel." Catch Can" No one said we are the best.No one said we are the cheapest.We are just offering another alternative to what is already out there.

And the beauty of all this is that no one is forced to purchase our product.

Ain't America great??

Thanks again for everyone's input and the phone calls we are receiving.

We really appreciate the NAM members warm welcome

Last edited by 1FST4DR; 05-25-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:03 AM
rohicks
2nd Gear
Who cares. I didn't notice it until it was pointed out. I'm a fulltime UI/UX web designer and don't ***** about the usability problems on their website and lack of design.

I'm looking forward to the seeing the dual can setup. If it's a better alternative than BSH has, then I will definitely be buying one of these when released. I like it so far! Care to post any pics of the other colors? I am thinking of the blue anodized to match my laser blue.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Left this out of my quote...

On topic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...fAccesso ries

http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/20011.htm *****same can but $95****

your telling me one piece of bracketing metal is worth $40?

Personally from a technological aspect, the pre compressor side port is the one thats allowing gunk into your turbo/intercooler.

The passenger side port can be blocked off.

I am all for people breaking in to the market but this setup is rediculous, especially the fact that the price varies $40 for a barb and piece of metal.

Originally Posted by 1FST4DR
Thanks for your input. I will get with the IT person and address the grammar issues as soon as possible.

But lets face it this thread was about a Catch Can. No one said we re-invented the wheel." Catch Can" No one said we are the best.No one said we are the cheapest.We are just offering another alternative to what is already out there.

And the beauty of all this is that no one is forced to purchase our product.

Ain't America great??

Thanks again for everyone's input and the phone calls we are receiving.

We really appreciate the NAM members warm welcome

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 05-25-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 AM
gjn25
3rd Gear
Hell , probably an employees car.
I'm not an employee of theres at all I'm just helping them out is all. The car is mine and I'm a consultant Chef for corporations that are trying to reestablish there image or just change there food. This car stuff is something I have done for fun throughout my whole life. Like I have said many times before I wish I worked for them truly!!!!!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
on top of that...

$135 to hack away at the pcv passage? there is not one "mini" oriented part/adapter for this piece.

You shoud of atleast peeled away the heat shrinked plastic thats on the fitting, that piece does come off.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:59 AM
1FST4DR
Former Vendor
I am all for people breaking in to the market but this setup is rediculous,

on top of that...

$135 to hack away at the pcv passage? there is not one "mini" oriented part/adapter for this piece.
Here is a brief explanation of the price difference,

The price difference is due to the extra amount of hose that is needed,And The fact that we had to machine a special fitting out of aluminum to adapt to the factory fitting.. We also had to make a different bracket then what we are using on other platforms..

As for a ridiculous design, That is your opinion. Our simple yet effective design works plain and simple. We use our Cans on cars running 25-30 psi with out issues. Not to mention plenty of N/A cars out there as well. From mild to wild.

I'm so sure our design works I offer a 100% money back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with any of our products. IMO you cant ask for more then that.

If I may ask you a question, You point out that ebay Can and reference
some other designs yet you don't use either. Why is that?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Good catch

Here's your spelling error link

http://www.custombilletstore.com- please refer to the whole website.

Extra amount of PCV hose http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-2

Custom "special fitting"-

"The fact that we had to machine a special fitting out of aluminum to adapt to the factory fitting"

Key word "adapt" (Image attached)*

A fitting that needs hose clamps on a vacuum line? does it not stay put w/o the clamps? Clamping on hard plastic seems like you must have measured the clearances wrong *****

A custom machined fitting that requires you to hack up the factory line?***

Fraying of the factory hose wrapping****

The heat shrink plastic can be removed so you could get a good fit but i guess attention to detail wasnt a concern so you choose to use your

"special" fitting to make it work

My can-

I have a BSH because i spend the money where the quality is equal to the price, IE. you get what you pay for.

I dont... did I? oh... nope didnt have to hack up a thing with my BSH

I didnt want to use the product i personally use so there would not be a biased opinion.

But you took it there... please compare your own can to the like of BSH id love to see how that one turns out

The "dual can" may seem attractive for folks whom want to stay "factory fitted"

But hacking away and using special fittings to "adapt" hoses will steer them away for sure.

a can is a can...

quality is quality

Seems like the can is actually a good piece... now the "kit" thats as good as a jerry rigging will get.

you took your existing design and happened to "adapt" it to another application.

PS:

Might want to have a disclosure stating it mounts *on top* of the factory alarm mount so if you have an alarm, you wont be able to use that mounting point.

Here is a brief explanation of the price difference,

The price difference is due to the extra amount of hose that is needed,And The fact that we had to machine a special fitting out of aluminum to adapt to the factory fitting.. We also had to make a different bracket then what we are using on other platforms..

As for a ridiculous design, That is your opinion. Our simple yet effective design works plain and simple. We use our Cans on cars running 25-30 psi with out issues. Not to mention plenty of N/A cars out there as well. From mild to wild.

I'm so sure our design works I offer a 100% money back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with any of our products. IMO you cant ask for more then that.

If I may ask you a question, You point out that ebay Can and reference
some other designs yet you don't use either. Why is that?

Attached Thumbnails Oil Catch Cans let me know what you think?-screen-20shot-202011-05-21-20at-2012_19_08-20am.jpg  
Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
I just purchased the Billet Tech can and am very happy with the design. It is compact, very well made and should be very easy to empty. It came will all metal fittings and plenty of PCV hose.

I contacted BSH about buying their fittings for the driver's side hoses and was told they would not sell them to me. You can correct me if I"m wrong put I do believe the BSH fittings are PLASTIC.

I am waiting on some PCV caps from CZAR and then I will install the can. I am going to try put a T-fitting in line so I can attach both the driver's and passanger side PCV lines to one side of the can and the outlent of can to the inlet pipe. That should cover all current and future issues. I don't see why this can't be done with all current can setups, not sure that 2 cans is really necessary.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 AM
1FST4DR
Former Vendor
Good catch

Here's your spelling error link

http://www.custombilletstore.com- please refer to the whole website.

Extra amount of PCV hose http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-2

Custom "special fitting"-

"The fact that we had to machine a special fitting out of aluminum to adapt to the factory fitting"

Key word "adapt" (Image attached)*

A fitting that needs hose clamps on a vacuum line? does it not stay put w/o the clamps? Clamping on hard plastic seems like you must have measured the clearances wrong *****

A custom machined fitting that requires you to hack up the factory line?***

Fraying of the factory hose wrapping****

The heat shrink plastic can be removed so you could get a good fit but i guess attention to detail wasnt a concern so you choose to use your

"special" fitting to make it work

My can-

I have a BSH because i spend the money where the quality is equal to the price, IE. you get what you pay for.

I dont... did I? oh... nope didnt have to hack up a thing with my BSH

I didnt want to use the product i personally use so there would not be a biased opinion.

But you took it there... please compare your own can to the like of BSH id love to see how that one turns out

The "dual can" may seem attractive for folks whom want to stay "factory fitted"

But hacking away and using special fittings to "adapt" hoses will steer them away for sure.

a can is a can...

quality is quality

Seems like the can is actually a good piece... now the "kit" thats as good as a jerry rigging will get.

you took your existing design and happened to "adapt" it to another application.

PS:

Might want to have a disclosure stating it mounts *on top* of the factory alarm mount so if you have an alarm, you wont be able to use that mounting point.
Ok I see all you want to do is argue and try to bash my product. That's fine. If you have any logical questions I would be more then happy to answer them. I also invite you to give me a call at our facility. 1-866-747-1684 .I would be more then happy to speak to you about any other concerns you might have. Have a good day..

Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
BSH fittings are Aluminum

What do you mean both sides? If your capping the pcv you will only need the can attached to the driver side port. The ports are also biased toward vacuum(pass. side)/positive pressure(driver side). Running them conjoind would not work properly. Youd be better off blocking the passenger port and running one can on the driver side.

Originally Posted by killerfox
I just purchased the Billet Tech can and am very happy with the design. It is compact, very well made and should be very easy to empty. It came will all metal fittings and plenty of PCV hose.

I contacted BSH about buying their fittings for the driver's side hoses and was told they would not sell them to me. You can correct me if I"m wrong put I do believe the BSH fittings are PLASTIC.

I am waiting on some PCV caps from CZAR and then I will install the can. I am going to try put a T-fitting in line so I can attach both the driver's and passanger side PCV lines to one side of the can and the outlent of can to the inlet pipe. That should cover all current and future issues. I don't see why this can't be done with all current can setups, not sure that 2 cans is really necessary.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Yup "cut" and run, pun intended.

This also isn't an arguement-

You have your product being marketed on an online forum you should stand by it and have answers to the questions mentioned above.

All companies(** got me again!***) go through exposure. Have answers or fall through the cracks.

Ok I see all you want to do is argue and try to bash my product. That's fine. If you have any logical questions I would be more then happy to answer them. I also invite you to give me a call at our facility. 1-866-747-1684 .I would be more then happy to speak to you about any other concerns you might have. Have a good day..

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 05-25-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
BIG - I wasn't going to cap the passenger side of the valve cover just the other end of that line.

I recall CZAR even stating that blocking the passenger side PCV line is ok for a daily driver but would not recommend it for the track. My opinion is if it's not good enough for the track, then it's not good enough for my daily driver.

I realize the newer cars valve cover was redesigned and may work better for blocking the passenger side but I have the old design.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:10 AM
1FST4DR
Former Vendor

You have your product being marketed on an online forum you should stand by it and have answers to the questions mentioned above.

All compaines go through exposure. Have answers or fall through the cracks.
There is a line between a civilized conversation and attacking. You sir are attacking. If you don't like the product move on plain and simple.

I have sold 10 so far. Lets see what your members have to say as they receive their ridiculously designed hacked up catch Can ..

Last edited by 1FST4DR; 05-25-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
That means you are going to be giving that port constant vacuum, sucking out more vapor vs vapor exiting during positive pressure.

The pcv passenger port does not back flow air meaning boost does not travel back up the stream.

but given a constant vacuum source(being connected to the pre compressed side of the intacke tract) it will always be venting.

Good theory but PCV is for venting positive pressure not vacuum, its purely an emissions minded port.

Post pics of the setup and i will show you what i mean.

BIG - I wasn't going to cap the passenger side of the valve cover just the other end of that line.

I recall CZAR even stating that blocking the passenger side PCV line is ok for a daily driver but would not recommend it for the track. My opinion is if it's not good enough for the track, then it's not good enough for my daily driver.

I realize the newer cars valve cover was redesigned and may work better for blocking the passenger side but I have the old design.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Got me again I welcome corrections.

Fact remains, no answer was given on the "adaptation"

Editing posts!?

1FST4DR has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Oil Catch Cans let me know what you think? - in the Drivetrain (Cooper S) forum of North American Motoring.

This thread is located at:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/210478-oil-catch-cans-let-me-know-what-you-think-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by Bigprfed22)---

---End Quote---
There is a line between a civilized conversation and attacking. You sir are attacking. If you don't like the product move on plain and simple.

I have sold 10 so far. Lets see what your members have to say as they receive their ridiculously design hacked up catch Can ..

******P.S Its "argument" and "companies". Its not much fun is it?*******

[SIZE=1]- Show quoted text -[/SIZE]

I have sold 10 so far. Lets see what your members have to say as they receive their ridiculously design hacked up catch Can ..

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 05-25-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:24 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
Isn't this how it works now(stock)?? I believe the PCV valve is part of the cover so I would just be putting a can inline and using the inlet tupe for suction instead of the origional spot thus no chance of the gunk getting in the engine. I know everytime I take that hose off the do a seafoam treatment there is a constant vaccum. Thanks for your input as I'm still learning about this setup and welcome all input before I do it.

That means you are going to be giving that port constant vacuum, sucking out more vapor vs vapor exiting during positive pressure.

The pcv passenger port does not back flow air meaning boost does not travel back up the stream.

but given a constant vacuum source(being connected to the pre compressed side of the intacke tract) it will always be venting.

Good theory but PCV is for venting positive pressure not vacuum, its purely an emissions minded port.

Post pics of the setup and i will show you what i mean.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 AM
1FST4DR
Former Vendor
Got me again I welcome corrections.

Fact remains, no answer was given on the "adaptation"

Editing posts!?

1FST4DR has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Oil Catch Cans let me know what you think? - in the Drivetrain (Cooper S) forum of North American Motoring.

This thread is located at:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/210478-oil-catch-cans-let-me-know-what-you-think-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by Bigprfed22)---

---End Quote---

******P.S Its "argument" and "companies". Its not much fun is it?*******

[SIZE=1]- Show quoted text -[/SIZE]

Yes I edited my post. After reading what I typed I thought it was unprofessional and I apologize. So I did indeed edit it.

Ok So what is your question about the adaption? I must have missed it.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
It is but remember-

The passenger side pcv is connected to the intake manifold.

The intake manifold goes under boost, when it does the PCV does not allow back flow in to the valve cover.

If you have the passenger port re routed to the pre compressed it will always see vacuum, always venting.

Systematically i cant say exactly how it would work but just to keep it simple

stock form- Gases will vent to vacuum, that being said; in boost- gases vent to pre turbo fitment(vacuum) /off boost(in vacuum) gases vent to the intake mani.

There is constant vacuum because your not boosting under load and there is no air being pressurized

Isn't this how it works now(stock)?? I believe the PCV valve is part of the cover so I would just be putting a can inline and using the inlet tupe for suction instead of the origional spot thus no chance of the gunk getting in the engine. I know everytime I take that hose off the do a seafoam treatment there is a constant vaccum. Thanks for your input as I'm still learning about this setup and welcome all input before I do it.

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 05-25-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Your fitments require the cutting of the factory hard plastic hose instead of connecting to the pcv port directly?

Yes I edited my post. After reading what I typed I thought it was unprofessional and I apologize. So I did indeed edit it.

Ok So what is your question about the adaption? I must have missed it.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:40 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Jesus Christ, people… can we all at least pretend to act like adults in here?!

I'd like to follow this thread so I can find out more about this catch can… not so I can watch a petty, pedantic *****-fight over grammar on a machine shop's website, not so I can repeatedly hear of someone's fixation on the price of a bracket, and certainly not so I can wade through yet another argument over how the MCS's PCV system operates — which has been argued over far too much in far too many other threads already!

Please, take all this worthless back-and-forth bull to another thread.

Last edited by fishbert; 05-25-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:41 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
Thanks for the explination. I guess there is no alternative, you need 2 cans or you block off the passenger side and put a can on the driver's side. I wish someone would make a can that has 2 chambers with seperate inlets and outlets for both, this way we only need one can.

It is but remember-

The passenger side pcv is connected to the intake manifold.

The intake manifold goes under boost, when it does the PCV does not allow back flow in to the valve cover.

If you have the passenger port re routed to the pre compressed it will always see vacuum, always venting.

Systematically i cant say exactly how it would work but just to keep it simple

stock form- Gases will vent to vacuum, that being said; in boost- gases vent to pre turbo out /of boost(in vacuum) gases vent to the intake mani.

There is constant vacuum because your not boosting under load and there is no air being pressurized

Old 05-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear

Thanks for the explination. I guess there is no alternative, you need 2 cans or you block off the passenger side and put a can on the driver's side. I wish someone would make a can that has 2 chambers with seperate inlets and outlets for both, this way we only need one can.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
awesome link
Originally Posted by fishbert
Jesus Christ, people… can we all at least pretend to act like adults in here?!

I'd like to follow this thread so I can find out more about this catch can… not so I can watch a petty, pedantic *****-fight over grammar on a machine shop's website, not so I can repeatedly hear of someone's fixation on the price of a bracket, and certainly not so I can wade through yet another argument over how the MCS's PCV system operates — which has been argued over far too much in far too many other threads already!

Please, take all this worthless back-and-forth bull to another thread.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Oil Catch Cans let me know what you think?