Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Oil Catch Cans let me know what you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:47 PM
gjn25
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey this is just an option thats the only reason I did what I did to bring this to everyone that wants a nice 2 can option or a nice single can, because of my feeling about the blocking off, I with my personal research felt this is the way to go is all and I'm not saying anyone ells is wrong. Again as I said once before BSH is a nice set up and I know a ton of people that have it and love it, but not for me and for all that have doubts over block off this is for you.

No need for all the hostility its the end of the world today haven't you heard . Keep the peace and love

Old 05-22-2011, 12:55 PM
gjn25
3rd Gear
Sweet!!! NAM gave me back my original screen name!!!!! YYYAAAA!!!!!!! Sorry for the random post it was a sad day for me when they took it from a screw up I did!!!

Old 05-22-2011, 01:57 PM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
Provided their baffling is good (hopefully some sort of multilayer setup or something) and they complete their dual OCC setup, I think I'll look into this at some point. To be honest, I'm not all that happy with my BSH OCC + boost tap. I installed a new intercooler and boost tubes last Tuesday and found gunk and nasty liquid in my intake, turbo, hot side and cold side tubes to the stock IC, inside the IC itself... Pretty much everywhere. Considering I was trying to prevent all that from occuring, that's pretty amazing. Plus, when I pulled the boost tap I found it was corroded as heck. I uninstalled the boost tap and am just running the OCC until I can find something better. Yeah, suffices to say I'm not all that happy .

Old 05-22-2011, 02:05 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Had you cleaned all that out before installing the can?

Is the 'out' hose from the can wet or dry?

Did you put the 'out' hose on the proper port from the can?
(depends on the design of the can, but you want flow through the can to be: in, reservoir, baffles, out... in, baffles, reservoir, out is bad.)

Old 05-22-2011, 02:09 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MaverickGun
Provided their baffling is good (hopefully some sort of multilayer setup or something) and they complete their dual OCC setup, I think I'll look into this at some point. To be honest, I'm not all that happy with my BSH OCC + boost tap. I installed a new intercooler and boost tubes last Tuesday and found gunk and nasty liquid in my intake, turbo, hot side and cold side tubes to the stock IC, inside the IC itself... Pretty much everywhere. Considering I was trying to prevent all that from occuring, that's pretty amazing. Plus, when I pulled the boost tap I found it was corroded as heck. I uninstalled the boost tap and am just running the OCC until I can find something better. Yeah, suffices to say I'm not all that happy .
That sucks, considering the can is supposed to stop that. Have you had the can on since new? I have the dame BSH setup and was hoping this would stop this issue for me.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:26 PM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
Had you cleaned all that out before installing the can?

Is the 'out' hose from the can wet or dry?

Did you put the 'out' hose on the proper port from the can?
(depends on the design of the can, but you want flow through the can to be: in, reservoir, baffles, out... in, baffles, reservoir, out is bad.)
I've had the can installed since I think 1000 miles on my 2010 R56. I'm at about 8500 now, and there was a ton of junk in there. As far as improper installation, I shouldn't think so. In fact, it's installed pretty much exactly like 09MellowJCW has his in this photo since I have a DoS intake (hopefully no one minds if I just quote his original post for his picture):

Originally Posted by 09MellowJCW
Now if this is wrong, then hey I goofed and so did 09MellowJCW apparently . And I know that plenty of people have been super happy with their catch can for miles and miles. Maybe I'm just an isolated case. Maybe it's user error. Whatever it happens to be, this was just my experience.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:09 PM
gjn25
3rd Gear
Going in the morning to see what is up with the dual can set up I can't wait!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:22 AM
1FST4DR
Former Vendor
Howdy folks The manufacturer of the Billet Tech Catch Can has just signed up as a vender. As soon as we are approved and the "I"s are dotted and the "Ts" are crossed I will post pics of the baffling system.

We appreciate all feed back good and Bad.

However Someone made a comment about Boost leaks etc. FWIW these Cans are being used on 1000 RWHP Hemis. Running 25PSI plus Please
be assured they will not leak,

Im so sure of it I will offer a 100% money back guarantee and a 1yr warranty on everything we offer to the good folks at NAM.

Thanks and speak to you all soon!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:23 AM
1FST4DR
Former Vendor
Ok I guess I am a vendor now..lol Pics later today.. Thanks folks

Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 AM
jomama
4th Gear
thanks for becoming a vendor on NAM. i'm guessing i'm one of a few people here looking for a 2011 application of the OCC. as you may know, the pcv on the passenger side of the valve cover is no longer there on the N18 engine. are you guys still developing an application for the 2011 cooper s?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Take a catch can and hook it up inline. Blocking the passenge pcv is one thing less you have to do. Its a can not a spec'd part, You could get any style can, 42 draft designs makes a clever one with dual baffling for exmp.

Just adapt the lines and your done

Originally Posted by jomama
thanks for becoming a vendor on NAM. i'm guessing i'm one of a few people here looking for a 2011 application of the OCC. as you may know, the pcv on the passenger side of the valve cover is no longer there on the N18 engine. are you guys still developing an application for the 2011 cooper s?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:35 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
Take a catch can and hook it up inline. Blocking the passenge pcv is one thing less you have to do. Its a can not a spec'd part, You could get any style can, 42 draft designs makes a clever one with dual baffling for exmp.

Just adapt the lines and your done
my only issue is, no one has figured out what's going on internally - whether mini just eliminated the other pcv or if it's being rerouted. i guess i should have tried to take a look while changing my oil on saturday, but i was so tired. the 42 draft design one is really nice, and i would have bought it already but was waiting to see if a 2011 application was put on the market. BSH said "soon", but that was a while ago. i have an alta fmic sitting in my dining room. i'm definitely putting an occ in before that thing goes on.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Gases are passing through there, Your not hurting anything if you add the can as the passage is still there.

Originally Posted by jomama
my only issue is, no one has figured out what's going on internally - whether mini just eliminated the other pcv or if it's being rerouted. i guess i should have tried to take a look while changing my oil on saturday, but i was so tired. the 42 draft design one is really nice, and i would have bought it already but was waiting to see if a 2011 application was put on the market. BSH said "soon", but that was a while ago. i have an alta fmic sitting in my dining room. i'm definitely putting an occ in before that thing goes on.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
Gases are passing through there, Your not hurting anything if you add the can as the passage is still there.
yup, i totally understand what you're saying. i'm just a bit hesitant about buying something now and finding out they've made something specific for the 2011. but that's just me being stupid. it's all the difference b/w being a trailblazer and a follower.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 AM
CoolantGuy
3rd Gear
Welcome

Originally Posted by 1FST4DR
Howdy folks The manufacturer of the Billet Tech Catch Can has just signed up as a vender. As soon as we are approved and the "I"s are dotted and the "Ts" are crossed I will post pics of the baffling system.

We appreciate all feed back good and Bad.

However Someone made a comment about Boost leaks etc. FWIW these Cans are being used on 1000 RWHP Hemis. Running 25PSI plus Please
be assured they will not leak,

Im so sure of it I will offer a 100% money back guarantee and a 1yr warranty on everything we offer to the good folks at NAM.

Thanks and speak to you all soon!
Just hooked you up with Greasy's Garage and there very excited about your can Make sure I get a good deal on one from them they told me they placed a call and your Hemi Items look well made can't wait till they get some in stock.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:26 AM
1FST4DR
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by CoolantGuy
Just hooked you up with Greasy's Garage and there very excited about your can Make sure I get a good deal on one from them they told me they placed a call and your Hemi Items look well made can't wait till they get some in stock.
Thank you.. We are playing phone tag right now Thanks!..

Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 AM
1FST4DR
Former Vendor
Here is the two chamber top. You can hook up the hoses either way and it will work properly. The mesh is used to help turn the oil mist/aerosol back to a liquid and condense ion the bottom of the can. The mesh is Stainless steel so no need to worry about corrosion etc..

Old 05-23-2011, 12:51 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
How tall will the dual can be (including the allowance for unscrewing)? If I were to buy one, I would be mounting it where the original air box would sit, and want to be sure there would be enough clearance between the bottom of the can and the intake manifold.

Also, I notice the can gjn25 showed pictures of in the first post of this thread is mounted on the hood open/close sensor bracket for the stock alarm system. As you can see in the link above, I had to mount my current can to the rear wall as I have the alarm sensor sitting on its bracket and an aftermarket CAI in the way anyway. If I bug you about it now, might there be a rear wall mounting option available for your cans when the dual can comes up for sale?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:23 PM
gjn25
3rd Gear
How tall will the dual can be (including the allowance for unscrewing)? If I were to buy one, I would be mounting it where the original air box would sit, and want to be sure there would be enough clearance between the bottom of the can and the intake manifold.

Also, I notice the can gjn25 showed pictures of in the first post of this thread is mounted on the hood open/close sensor bracket for the stock alarm system. As you can see in the link above, I had to mount my current can to the rear wall as I have the alarm sensor sitting on its bracket and an aftermarket CAI in the way anyway. If I bug you about it now, might there be a rear wall mounting option available for your cans when the dual can comes up for sale?
I'm looking into a rear wall mount option for BT that will work with the bracket they are making for the dual cans. I saw the prototype today and it needed a lill adjusting before final fit, so the sec they have that done that will be the next step. It will be easy once its done to figure out that part.

As for how tall it is 4 3/4 inch tall and you need about 5 1/4 inch to open it and get it out. Cans are going to be side by side so the measurement is the same for 2 cans or 1.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:58 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
How far out from the wall would it extend?
That image above that shows the baffling components seems to have a long standoff "leg" (I assume for mounting). I realize that may not be the same design as what we're talking about... but some kind of envelope sizing would be good (as in overall height [5.25"], width [?], and depth [?] extremes).

Maybe it's too much to ask, but I'll throw it out there anyway... a mechanical drawing of some sort would be awesome!

Old 05-23-2011, 05:17 PM
killerfox
4th Gear
That new design doesn't really look any different than the original, I mean that I would like to be able to run both pcv hoses to the can, the hose from the passanger and driver's side valve cover to the inlets and then eigther vent the outlet to atmosphere or to the inlet tube. This can looks like 1 line in and 1 line out.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:37 PM
gjn25
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by killerfox
That new design doesn't really look any different than the original, I mean that I would like to be able to run both pcv hoses to the can, the hose from the passanger and driver's side valve cover to the inlets and then eigther vent the outlet to atmosphere or to the inlet tube. This can looks like 1 line in and 1 line out.
This is a single can set up you are seeing the duel can is not ready yet. this is the one that is available right now

Old 05-23-2011, 05:38 PM
gjn25
3rd Gear
How far out from the wall would it extend?
That image above that shows the baffling components seems to have a long standoff "leg" (I assume for mounting). I realize that may not be the same design as what we're talking about... but some kind of envelope sizing would be good (as in overall height [5.25"], width [?], and depth [?] extremes).

Maybe it's too much to ask, but I'll throw it out there anyway... a mechanical drawing of some sort would be awesome!
Im working on some drawings for you right now give me a bit

Old 05-23-2011, 05:39 PM
killerfox
4th Gear
I ordered one from them last week and it shipped friday, I gues I will have to wait to see if I get the new design or the old.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Oil Catch Cans let me know what you think?