Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Help me troubleshoot this boost problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 03:34 PM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Help me troubleshoot this boost problem

Hi,

I'm having problems with my car with boost issue and codes. Hopefully somebody can help

Car is a factory JCW, 08 build. The car is in Australia, and is euro spec. The car is a rally car, and not driven on the street

I have run the car with both stock ecu and an RMW tune. Otherwise engine and drive train is stock. Stock ecu the car was making 21psi boost and with the tune 23psi. I ran it for around 1200km of track / rally with zero problems.

During a rally I suddenly lost power. The check engine light came on half diagonal (full engine power not available). The car was driveable, but had completely lost boost.

The car has the code 2885 "boost pressure control deviation plausability" Clear the code, and the car makes some boost, but not as much as previously, now 10psi with stock ecu and 14psi with tune. The car will run for maybe 10 minutes, and then throw the code again and lose boost. When it throws the code the car runs and drives normally, just 0psi boost Throws the code more frequently with the tune than stock, but still does it stock.

I know other people have had this code with overboosting. The car is NOT overboosting when it throws this code. It will only boost to 14psi max, and sometimes it throws the code at only 6-8psi. However, it always comes on under WOT or immediately after lifting off.

We have done a fair few things to try and diagnose and fix it. Pressure / smoke tested with no boost leak. Turbo and wastegate valve look fine. Replaced the boost pressure control unit. Checked the diverter valve, which did have a tear in the diaphragm. Currently I have replaced this with the VAG unit (as I had this available), and am waiting for the forge unit. However, replacing this made no difference.

It is frustrating, as the car is inexplicably down on boost, and keeps going into this mode. I'm not sure where to go from here. I personally wonder if one of the pressure sensors is faulty, giving implausible readings to the ECU?

If anyone has any ideas I would be greatful

Robbo

Old 05-14-2011, 06:59 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No suggestions but great looking car - I like the pic!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had a P2885 code come up on my 2009 factory JCW and my stock D/V was damage same as yours and when I recieved and installed the latest forge D/V ( got mine at Way Motor Works) the code has not returned when using both stock and stage3 Cobb A/P tune. IMO the Forge valve is far superior to the stock D/V or any other D/V for the Mini that I am aware of.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:46 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
No suggestions but great looking car - I like the pic!
Hi,

Glad you liked the look of the car.

Here is some more eye candy for you ..

Cheers

Robbo

Old 05-15-2011, 02:28 AM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
robbo, before you install the VAG unit, have a look at this thread.

You might want to consider the Alta one. All the best with solving this issue

Old 05-15-2011, 07:32 AM
MINIutia
3rd Gear
I had the exact problem(s)

The remedy for mine was a new factory diaphragm and the Alta spring. The VAG part did not help.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Yeah I was gona say I have used the VAG DV on my car and although it ran ok, some other members here and I figured out it does leak boost.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:58 PM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by etalj
robbo, before you install the VAG unit, have a look at this thread.

You might want to consider the Alta one. All the best with solving this issue
Hi Elie,

Yep, I was aware of that issue. I had bought a vag one to put in, but then decided not to and have ordered a forge one. We put the vag one in when we found the tear in the oem diaphragm, because we had the part sitting there.

I might try putting an oem one in whilst I wait for the forge part.

Robbo

Old 05-15-2011, 05:31 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Originally Posted by robbo mcs
Hi Elie,

Yep, I was aware of that issue. I had bought a vag one to put in, but then decided not to and have ordered a forge one. We put the vag one in when we found the tear in the oem diaphragm, because we had the part sitting there.

I might try putting an oem one in whilst I wait for the forge part.

Robbo
cool. Just wanted to be sure

Old 05-15-2011, 08:37 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
Old 05-16-2011, 02:21 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by turtle343
is the forge one the BOV adaptor ?? http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...DV&inc=product

Hi,

No this one

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...oduct=FMDVR56A

BTW ordered a new OEM one today. Tried BMW Oz in the hope they had one available, but true to form there were none in the country, quoting $A250 and delivery time of 10 days

So I ended up ordering one online from the USA, $A90 delivered (including $40 postage!), but probably will still take 10 days.

I will try the oem first to see if that fixes the problem, before fitting the forge part,

Cheers

Robbo

Old 05-16-2011, 07:22 AM
gkp
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I have been having boost problems similar to yours and have been searching for answers. One thing I read is that at 22psi one of the MAF sensors shuts everything down, which would account for the limp mode engine light. I had the same light at a track day last week. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...be-solved.html

I have also been playing with the DV. The VW DV does leak some boost which, ironically, helped the problem since it didn't boost so high. While the DV will change a few things, I do not think it is the root of the problem.

I don't have the answer yet, but I am beginning to believe that it is not a good idea to run 20+ psi in the MINI. See some of Thumper's comments in this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rt-thread.html

I'll let you know what I learn in the coming weeks, and I'll keep an eye on this thread, too.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by gkp
I have been having boost problems similar to yours and have been searching for answers. One thing I read is that at 22psi one of the MAF sensors shuts everything down, which would account for the limp mode engine light. I had the same light at a track day last week. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...be-solved.html

I have also been playing with the DV. The VW DV does leak some boost which, ironically, helped the problem since it didn't boost so high. While the DV will change a few things, I do not think it is the root of the problem.

I don't have the answer yet, but I am beginning to believe that it is not a good idea to run 20+ psi in the MINI. See some of Thumper's comments in this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rt-thread.html

I'll let you know what I learn in the coming weeks, and I'll keep an eye on this thread, too.
Robbo's car is a JCW. It's factory equipped with lower compression pistons and MAP sensors that can read over 22 psi. Although the engine isn't a tank in any means, it can handle a little higher boost then the MCS engine.

In your case yes, higher boost is risky and I believe your issue, like many others to be tuning related.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:24 PM
gkp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mike@Tech Division
Robbo's car is a JCW. It's factory equipped with lower compression pistons and MAP sensors that can read over 22 psi. Although the engine isn't a tank in any means, it can handle a little higher boost then the MCS engine.

In your case yes, higher boost is risky and I believe your issue, like many others to be tuning related.
Thanks. I agree. But there must be a peppy solution somewhere between the stock boost of 10-12psi and a tune that doubles that.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
do you choose a high boost tune or does a tune just put the boost that high?

Old 05-17-2011, 04:14 AM
gkp
5th Gear
I am working with the Alta Stage One tune right now. It's not like there is a lot available for MCS. It's mapped to boost 19-22psi. I may be wrong, but I think that is aggressive over the long haul. I'd like to find a tune that boosted in the mid-teens.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by gkp
I am working with the Alta Stage One tune right now. It's not like there is a lot available for MCS. It's mapped to boost 19-22psi. I may be wrong, but I think that is aggressive over the long haul. I'd like to find a tune that boosted in the mid-teens.
Before I get into it I want to explain something that isn't entirely focused at you, but address an issue I see more and more.

All AP maps are the same at their core. All operate using the same foundation. This is a series of parameters that have been unlocked with in the ECU and put into an interface so each one can have it's values altered from stock. Once any of these values is altered, a new map is created. To make life easy the maps are given names to identify them. In this case Alta gave names to help identify them and their power potential, stage 1,2,3. Much like good, better, best. This categorization is specific to Alta's maps alone. Once they are altered they are no longer relevent to Alta's 1,2,3 stage format.

For example your current Alta stage 1 map has been altered to be more aggressive then their stage 3. It is no longer a Alta stage 1 or 3 map. It's an RMW tune and would now be categorized according to that company.

The fact it was based on a stage 1 does not mean you can't get what you want from the stage 1. As I said before the foundations are the same. Your map could have been written from the stage 2 or 3 maps just as easily.

The original Alta stage 1 for the MCS that came with your AP is very mild. It only runs boost at a peak of about 16 PSI with average WOT boost around 14 PSI. You should be able to load this map and get the results your looking for. As long as your RMW tune is loaded to your AP your at no risk of being able to switch back and forth. In any case it's a good way to check if the problems you are having are from the tune or something else.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:59 AM
gkp
5th Gear
[quote=Mike@Tech Division;3286235]Before I get into it I want to explain something that isn't entirely focused at you, but address an issue I see more and more.

For example your current Alta stage 1 map has been altered to be more aggressive then their stage 3. It is no longer a Alta stage 1 or 3 map. It's an RMW tune and would now be categorized according to that company.

Well said, Mike. Long story short -- I have been evolving to this understanding over the past two or three weeks and I appreciate you adding clarity. It has been a learning experience for me.

Today I began running the base Alta Stage One tune and it is much closer to what I am looking for, and much closer to what I expected from the Stage One tune.

While I have the floor, I also want to thank Chris at Alta for his help. Alta is doing a great job if supporting the AP.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:07 PM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Hi,

Just for reference, this problem with my car is now fixed.

Replaced a temperature / pressure sensor, part in this diagram http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...06&hg=13&fg=20

This immediately fixed the problem, with the car back to making full boost.

I presume the sensor must have been faulty, but still functional. ie off callibration and sending the wrong pressure reading. The ecu is monitoring multiple parameters in the system, and realised something was not correct, truggering the 2885 "boost pressure control deviation plausability" code.

I will take the car to the track in 2 weeks to run it under race conditions, and make sure there is no recurrence of the problem

Cheers

Robbo

Old 09-11-2011, 08:50 AM
eg0911
3rd Gear
My DV broke at about 48000 miles. I was driving one day and then the car all of a sudden was having really bad turbo surge and it wasnt blowing off. Pulled the DV and the plastic black part was in pieces. Dont know how much went through the turbo but it was fine visually. Limped the car to mini and they swiftly voided my warranty for the parts that were on the car and sent me home. 3 days later and $150 and my new DV assembly arrived. Put it in and had no issues. Never threw a CEL while the DV was broken.

The black plastic part when I pulled out some of the pieces I tried to snap parts of it off and it was VERY brittle. I am unsure if it was heat from the turbo and the oil that sometimes collect that caused it to get brittle but that was the issue.

07 MCS helix front mount, RR DP, Alta CAI are the only motor mods done.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:58 AM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eg0911
Limped the car to mini and they swiftly voided my warranty for the parts that were on the car and sent me home.
That's pretty weak. Did they happen to say what part they had a problem with or were they vague about it?

Glad to hear your car is fine again. So you ended up getting a new OEM DV? I've been contemplating getting that forge one but the price was too high for me. But maybe it's a small price for replacing the cheap plastic stock part...

Old 09-11-2011, 12:46 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by silhouette88
That's pretty weak. Did they happen to say what part they had a problem with or were they vague about it?

Glad to hear your car is fine again. So you ended up getting a new OEM DV? I've been contemplating getting that forge one but the price was too high for me. But maybe it's a small price for replacing the cheap plastic stock part...
Still love my 710D

"leaky" DV FTW

Old 09-11-2011, 01:05 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
LOLZ