Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Akrapovic down pipe installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah when i got my DP it made a big power gain, especially above 4500rpm, i did get a CEL though after a week but it is gone now thanks to Jan.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:50 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Quick question regarding installation. I see there is a gasket on for the stock pipe. Does akrapovic supply a gasket at the turbo manifold for their pipe? The picture indicates no gasket if you look before and after. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:27 PM
ThePenl
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
Quick question regarding installation. I see there is a gasket on for the stock pipe. Does akrapovic supply a gasket at the turbo manifold for their pipe? The picture indicates no gasket if you look before and after. Thanks!
Download the fitting instructions from Akrapovic site. All the info you will need is there.

You should use a new stock gasket for the downpipe-turbine joint.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:46 PM
killerfox
4th Gear
You should use a new gasket from dealer, I think they are only $12. I used my old gasket and have had no issues.
I would download the Down Pipe install instructions from Alta because there are some errors in the Akrapovic instructions.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:12 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Great...thanks guys.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:41 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Can anyone comment on the noise change from just the downpipe? Akropovic's figurs for the whole system don't look too bad but there have been a lot of comments about increased exhaust note from just the DP install.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:25 PM
killerfox
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ignitionmodule
Can anyone comment on the noise change from just the downpipe? Akropovic's figurs for the whole system don't look too bad but there have been a lot of comments about increased exhaust note from just the DP install.
It is a little louder but only slightly noticable if you keep the stock cat back section.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
This is tempting but, I just would like to know is it a tune that anyone can do to make sure a CEL does not come or Jan specific? I just don't plan on waiting for him to come to Florida or driving up to PA.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
I installed this D/P and it is as good as reported in this thread and I have an Cobb A/P with the Alta Maps and I have no codes.

I really like that there is no drone and sounds mostly stock in terms of volume under almost all conditions but when you get on it you know something has changed because it gets louder and a little more raspy and you can feel the torque and it seems like it pulls longer in the RPM range.

I have a 2009 factory JCW with the AKrapovic 100 cell D/P and the stock JCW catback and like the agressive and louder sound under heavy acelleration but would like to reduce the volume on the top end to reduce attention a louder exhaust can bring. Has anyone changed the stock resonator in the JCW catback with a Hushpower or any other resonator that would reduce sound level without increasing flow resistance over the stock JCW resonator?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:33 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
Both the AccessPort from Alta and a tune from Jan can turn off the CEL for the DP. Jan is a dealer for the AccessPort, I would prefer to buy from him because he can customize your tune if he comes to a town near you, but you will not get that with Alta.

Originally Posted by Porthos
This is tempting but, I just would like to know is it a tune that anyone can do to make sure a CEL does not come or Jan specific? I just don't plan on waiting for him to come to Florida or driving up to PA.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:36 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
I believe the resonator will just effect Drone, and the muffler is what you want to change to effect loudness. Some one can correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by Octane
I installed this D/P and it is as good as reported in this thread and I have an Cobb A/P with the Alta Maps and I have no codes.

I really like that there is no drone and sounds mostly stock in terms of volume under almost all conditions but when you get on it you know something has changed because it gets louder and a little more raspy and you can feel the torque and it seems like it pulls longer in the RPM range.

I have a 2009 factory JCW with the AKrapovic 100 cell D/P and the stock JCW catback and like the agressive and louder sound under heavy acelleration but would like to reduce the volume on the top end to reduce attention a louder exhaust can bring. Has anyone changed the stock resonator in the JCW catback with a Hushpower or any other resonator that would reduce sound level without increasing flow resistance over the stock JCW resonator?

Old 06-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Verithas
1st Gear
Akrapovic Dp is perfect for me not cuts trims etc. also im thinking about to take off the middle silencer of the OEM exhaust much better sound and more throw.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:47 PM
akng
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by turtle343
yeah when i got my DP it made a big power gain, especially above 4500rpm, i did get a CEL though after a week but it is gone now thanks to Jan.
You got a CEL cuz you are using the Riss Racing DP and not the Akrapovic DP, right?

Let's put it this way, have anyone with the Akrapovic DP actually experienced a CEL from it yet? If not, maybe the design of Akrapovic DP along with the 100cpsi cat really doesn't cause a CEL. Can someone please advise? Thanks!

Old 06-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Octane
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by akng
You got a CEL cuz you are using the Riss Racing DP and not the Akrapovic DP, right?

Let's put it this way, have anyone with the Akrapovic DP actually experienced a CEL from it yet? If not, maybe the design of Akrapovic DP along with the 100cpsi cat really doesn't cause a CEL. Can someone please advise? Thanks!

akng,

I think Killer Fox posted that he went back to stock map with his Akrapovic D/P for sometime and did not get a cel but most of us with this D/P are running a tune ( Alta or RMW) and that stops the cel. Next time I know I am going to be on the fwy for some miles I try to remember to go back to stock map and see if D/P causes cel with stock tune. I quess I could go back to stock map at any time but going back on a fwy trip would lessen the pain of driving with reduced performance.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by akng

The piping and O2 sensor locations/ depth are no differnt then any other D/P. If the Akra D/P can run cel free on a stock map then it's going to be all in the cat they use. It also will depend on the year of the car. An '07 with no ECU updates can get away with it many times. Late models with updated flashes almost always throw codes.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
I went aprox 20 miles on 2009 factory JCW stock map and Akrapovic 100 cell D/P and got no CEL.

I checked for codes with the A/P and found P276A (Post catalyst min) I removed code and went back to the Alta stage 3 map and of course no CEL or codes.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
I went aprox 20 miles on 2009 factory JCW stock map and Akrapovic 100 cell D/P and got no CEL.

I checked for codes with the A/P and found P276A (Post catalyst min) I removed code and went back to the Alta stage 3 map and of course no CEL or codes.
That's the pending code. It takes about 40-50 miles for it to become a normal code and show up with a cel.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:56 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
yeah i got miy CEL from the Riss DP, takes abount 250miles to come on.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:26 PM
akng
3rd Gear
Thanks everyone for confirming that a CEL will come on for sure even with the Akrapovic DP!

Now I can plan properly!

Old 07-01-2011, 05:55 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Picked up the Downpipe from Eric at Supreme....top notch guy to work with. The downpipe, first and foremost, is a piece of artwork. Gorgeous and impeccable in it's fit and finish. The biggest pain in the *** about this job was the upper and lower heatshields....they are an absolute nightmare due to space constraints. Other than that...it's straightforward. I have a factory JCW exhaust and this downpipe sounds great. It's how the MCS should have sounded out of the gate. I notice an increase in turbo noise which is nice but not obnoxious at all. I feel a little bit of torque increase but nothing earth-shattering. I'd say the biggest plus is the sound....very nice. All in all...I would buy again.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:12 PM
etalj
6th Gear

Can you post up a vid?

Old 07-02-2011, 09:14 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Just wanted to post back after doing some driving today. First off, let me apologize for "short-changing" this pipe a bit. This thing makes a difference and not only is it in torque and power but it makes the turbo spool much more noticeable and the exhaust sounds fantastic!!!! Love it!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:59 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
Glad your happy with it and that Eric was able to get you a good deal on it. I truly is a quality piece, I just wish they had a cat back for the clubman to go with it.

Just wanted to post back after doing some driving today. First off, let me apologize for "short-changing" this pipe a bit. This thing makes a difference and not only is it in torque and power but it makes the turbo spool much more noticeable and the exhaust sounds fantastic!!!! Love it!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:31 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
Well just ordered my DP . Woohoo . I've been waiting awhile to get one .

Old 07-25-2011, 02:35 AM
Gardus
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I understand correctly if you fit this downpipe with the full system this cat remains the only one right? Instead if you fit it by itself you keep the secondary cat, is it right?

We did A LOT of testing and the only way to get a performance increase on the R56 was to remove the 1st cat and place a 100 CPSI under the car. If you removed the 1st one you got the CEL and the car ran poorly.

Now we're using a 108mm (diameter) x 135mm (length) 100 CPSI cats placed under the car. This is causing some problems on euro5 cars, so we're fitting HJS 200 CPSI EURO5 cats for these engine, or you get the CEL. Sadly they are VERY expensive.

There's no way that cat is able to reduce the emission in any significant way, it's too small both in diameter and really too short.. You won't pass any emission tests...
I guess it could be interesting as a "bolt on" upgrade but I won't believe it causes any performance gain till I've seen dyno tests before and after this mod on the same car with the same ECU map.

Anyone knows what brand of cats are they using at Akrapovic?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Akrapovic down pipe installed