Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Any opinions on the Single Mass valeo clutch kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Professor
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the quality is awesome. I love it over the old dual mass. I have installed a couple of these for other locals with no issues.

Pedal feel is great, not to hard and not to soft. Engagement is very smooth and quiet.

And the surface area is the same as the oem one.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:07 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Professor
the quality is awesome. I love it over the old dual mass. I have installed a couple of these for other locals with no issues.

Pedal feel is great, not to hard and not to soft. Engagement is very smooth and quiet.

And the surface area is the same as the oem one.
It looks like the Valeo is going to be my choice. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:06 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We've sold several of the Valeo kits and not had any problems. And the price really makes them attractive.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 AM
DJDUPONT
2nd Gear
Had my Valeo installed over the holiday week, since i was out of town! Got it back last night and so far im loving it! Feels great, grabs really good! To me the pedal feels a little to lite, but my OEM clutch was so hurt up that i had to take my foot of the floor just to push it down. I guess i just need to get used to it. But in all so far so good I will follow up in a few months.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:27 AM
PoonRacing
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6,000+ miles on my

Old 11-29-2011, 08:56 AM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Nice to hear good things about the Valeo kit. I have mine still in the box waiting to be installed. Can't wait.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:39 PM
SimTechDJ
3rd Gear
I bought my car used earlier this month... already has the Valeo kit in it.

I like it!

I have driven a few minis now and while i would like a more track oriented clutch, this one is very smooth, predictable and holds well. Great price too if i need to replace it!

Old 11-29-2011, 05:58 PM
Thomas1
2nd Gear
Ordered mine 2 days ago from Way Motor Works. He walked me through all the available options as far as clutches and we decided on the valeo single mass kit! cant wait to get it installed later this week. I'll post a review of it if anyone is interested.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:13 AM
Gamm
1st Gear
It sometimes is a bit tough to get into first gear but overall a good value for its price.
I've had it installed for a couple of months now.

Last edited by Gamm; 11-30-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 AM
DJDUPONT
2nd Gear
Do any of yours make noise? When i let mine out it it clicks a little bit right as it engages? I'm a little worried about it but, everything seems fine, shifts nice and grabs good.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Thomas1
2nd Gear
Just dropped mini off at the local transmission shop, is there a reccomended method for this clutch break in? I assume its just driving it very conservatively for 4 to 500 miles.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:45 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
I just picked up my car from the shop where I had the Valeo kit installed. Initial impressions are not stellar. First, the clutch pedal effort is to light, second, it is slipping!!!! Not even stepping on it. When I engaged the clutch at a traffic light which is going up on an incline the clutch made a shuddering sound just like the previous clutch. WTF?

It is 42 degrees outside and wet. I am sure that the clutch slipped but at another time it felt as if the tire were spinning while underway in the rain at less than 1/3 throttle.

I am very concerned that the mechanic maybe forgot to prep the flywheel before installation.

Could this be normal on a brand new clutch/flywheel/release bearing/slave cylinder installation? Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is there any type of adjustment to be made to something that may be preventing the clutch to fully engage?

Let's suppose that the flywheel was not prepped, will it eventually break-in? Maybe I am worrying too much. I should just break it in for about 500 miles of stop and go traffic and let the clutch seat properly.

Thank you for your responses.

Last edited by mininuke; 12-15-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:24 PM
DJDUPONT
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mininuke
I just picked up my car from the shop where I had the Valeo kit installed. Initial impressions are not stellar. First, the clutch pedal effort is to light, second, it is slipping!!!! Not even stepping on it. When I engaged the clutch at a traffic light which is going up on an incline the clutch made a shuddering sound just like the previous clutch. WTF?

It is 42 degrees outside and wet. I am sure that the clutch slipped but at another time it felt as if the tire were spinning while underway in the rain at less than 1/3 throttle.

I am very concerned that the mechanic maybe forgot to prep the flywheel before installation.

Could this be normal on a brand new clutch/flywheel/release bearing/slave cylinder installation? Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is there any type of adjustment to be made to something that may be preventing the clutch to fully engage?

Let's suppose that the flywheel was not prepped, will it eventually break-in? Maybe I am worrying too much. I should just break it in for about 500 miles of stop and go traffic and let the clutch seat properly.

Just calm down! Its going to be OK! First off my clutch def did not slip but i also didnt rev the car past 4k in any gear for the first 1000 miles. You said its raining im sure it was your tires slipping! Break it and dont really get on it untill you have at least 1k on it.

I was freaking out to cause of an engament noise ended up just being my pedal.

"The clutch pedal effort is to light" dont worry i was like WTF!!! too, you will get used to it.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:46 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DJDUPONT
Just calm down! Its going to be OK! First off my clutch def did not slip but i also didnt rev the car past 4k in any gear for the first 1000 miles. You said its raining im sure it was your tires slipping! Break it and dont really get on it untill you have at least 1k on it.

I was freaking out to cause of an engament noise ended up just being my pedal.

"The clutch pedal effort is to light" dont worry i was like WTF!!! too, you will get used to it.
Thanks for the reassurance. I am shifting early and frequently. Not even past 3k. Will it be normal to for the clutch to shudder during take off on a slight incline?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by mininuke

From what your saying it sounds like it's possible that they didn't bleed your clutch right, or you have a faulty slave cylinder. I've replace 100 slave cylinders so it wouldn't surprise me. But if the shop that did it disconnected the clutch line and didn't have the tool to bleed the clutch then there is prob air in the system still, and yes that will destroy your clutch as it won't fully release when you press on it. I never advise opening up the clutch line unless its absolutely necessary. You can do a clutch without disconnecting it, that's how we do it.
There is no prepping the flywheel, just make sure it's clean.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
I think the system needs to be bled. The slave was replaced and they told me they had problems bleeding the clutch. I suspect that it wasn't done properly. I can actually press the pedal all the way with my hand with little effort. I hope it's not too late. I drove it for about 5 miles.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Gamm
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
From what your saying it sounds like it's possible that they didn't bleed your clutch right, or you have a faulty slave cylinder. I've replace 100 slave cylinders so it wouldn't surprise me. But if the shop that did it disconnected the clutch line and didn't have the tool to bleed the clutch then there is prob air in the system still, and yes that will destroy your clutch as it won't fully release when you press on it.
+1

As for the light clutch pedal, as mentioned before, I think it's quite normal for this kit as I am experiencing it aswell. Totally different compared to the original, which makes you worry a bit initially, but I've had it for a few k miles now and no issues whatsoever.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 AM
mininuke
3rd Gear
I am going to attempt to bleed it myself if I am able to fashion a bleed tool in order to compress the slave cylinder. I wonder if it is possible to do a one man clutch bleed?

Last edited by mininuke; 12-16-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:43 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
I was able to bleed the clutch backwards from the slave up. I connected the tubing to the slave cylinder release valve and used a pressure oil can. I pumped until I didn't see any bubbles coming out in the fluid reservoir. The pedal feels better but the clutch still slips on inclines. Will this go away as the clutch breaks in?

Old 12-16-2011, 05:33 PM
CrazyIvan
3rd Gear
Not likely. Better take it back and have them inspect it. I hope you called them as soon as you left the shop and told them it was slipping.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:37 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan
Not likely. Better take it back and have them inspect it. I hope you called them as soon as you left the shop and told them it was slipping.
I did, but will have to wait until Monday. I drove it for about 25 miles stop and go traffic with a lot frequent shifting even though I didn't need to shift. It only made a slight shudder once. At one instance I had to accelerate a little hard in order to merge into traffic and it held well. I wonder if I shouldn't drive the car until the shop looks at it.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:41 PM
CrazyIvan
3rd Gear
the less miles the better till they look at it. If it has a lot they will try and say you were racing, burn out, etc don't give them any thing to use as an excuse to get out of it.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:11 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan
the less miles the better till they look at it. If it has a lot they will try and say you were racing, burn out, etc don't give them any thing to use as an excuse to get out of it.
Makes sense.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:55 AM
EmaciatedCow
2nd Gear
any update on your car?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:11 AM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by EmaciatedCow
any update on your car?
I'm pretty bummed, I haven't had the chance to take it to the shop. The clutch engagement is smooth and shifting is crisp. The problem that I have is a shudder when I take off on first gear. It doesn't happen all the time but it is worrisome. The other problem is occasional slipping on high gears. I had to step on it because of a semi-truck coming fast at me. The clutch slipped for a few seconds. I hope as it breaks in the conditions mentioned will eventually go away.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Any opinions on the Single Mass valeo clutch kit?