Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain R56 Mini Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 AM
MattyKHZ
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R56 Mini Coolant

As my car is now 4 years old, it has been into mini for it's 2nd MOT and also it's 2nd service so oil, plugs and filters were changed.

I was suprised to find out that coolant was not changed, which I was led to believe via mini service literature that it was to be done every 4 years.

According to the dealer, coolant from the R56 on never needs changing. Not sure if it isthe same for you guys in the US but thought I would share.

And thanks to the TLC package that came with the car, all it cost me was £5 for a replacement silver part to my key which had broken. I have since found out you can get a metal part for £2 more just released in the last few weeks.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:35 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Your dealer is wrong. The manual recommends 4 years.

MINI Recommends the coolant system drain and refill EVERY 4 YEARS as listed in the 'Additional Service Items' section of Inspection II. This will maximize longevity of the cooling system and its components.

The MINI factory recommends this factory anti-freeze/coolant for your MINI. Specially formulated with no Phosphates or Nitrites to ensure compatibility with your MINI Cooper and S. The factory recommends replacement every 4 years but many owners like to change more often.
Factory recommends a 50% mix of coolant and water. Coolant comes in one gallon bottles, may be labelled 'MINI' or 'BMW' depending on supply.
Approximate capacity of cooling systems:
Cooper 5.6 qts
Cooer S 6.3 qts Do not add coolant to the cooling system when the engine is hot. Escaping coolant can cause burns.

I would stay with Mini coolant as aluminium engines get picky about chemistry.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:06 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yup, you've gotta use MINI or BMW coolant. If you use your run of the mill green or red coolant, it will gel with the small amount of blue coolant left over in the engine block and cause cooling system issues.

Change it!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:54 AM
MattyKHZ
3rd Gear
It was the Mini Service leaflet that prompted me to ask as this does state under S2 servicing coolant change and that it should be every 4 years.

I was told this is a generic leaflet and since the R56 mini are using coolant for life: "[FONT=Arial]The engine coolant is mentioned in the service leaflets we give out, although it is not applicable to R56’s onwards as the coolant as actually a lifetime fluid so that should never need to be changed."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]So to me it does sound like they have asked or looked into it as I think it would be a bit flippant to state this if not true. I have saved the email as if advice is proven to be wrong in future I have a record of it.[/FONT]

Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
There are other alternatives to the MINI/BMW coolant. You have to be sure to get something that is free of all the nasty chemicals and is made for an aluminum radiator. Do a search. I think Zerex seems popular and other brands are available as well.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:31 PM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Bob is the oil guy forums indicated that Zerex G-48 is BMW coolant. However it is difficult to locate, usually only available at truck stops because it is also used in truck diesel engines. I would just go to the dealer or an online place for OEM.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:16 PM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The BMW coolant is essentially similar to the older VW Type C/G11 coolant. It is a hybrid mixture as it contains silicates and OATs. Better for aluminium (according to BMW), but has a limited life-span.

Newer Type D/G12 coolants DO NOT contain silicates, only a different type of OATs. Longer lifespan, not so protective for aluminium but VW doesn't really care since its engines are grey-cast iron in most cases.

As long as you stay on G11/Type C you should be fine, even if it is not branded as BMW/MINI. You should never mix G11 with G12 as they may react and forms gels.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:40 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Only reason I use BMW/MINl branded coolant because it is the easiest to see in the expansion bottle. All other colors are a lot more difficult to see.