Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 3rd day on track with Alta's Access Port and tune... review

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:24 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3rd day on track with Alta's Access Port and tune... review

Hey all, I'm still up at VIR. I've spent Thursday and Friday on the track with Alta's tune. I installed Alta's tune last week and though it was initially impressive, I did want to see how it held up at the track.

Here's the scoop....

Jeff sent me 3 different tunes. They were all stage 3 tunes with with the same maps but the throttle/gas pedal settings were different, one was linear, more linear and SUPER linear.

The difference in the linear settings was simple... the more you pressed on the gas, the more the throttle opened.

This is important because many of us had a stutter about 3200 rpms on the RMW tune and it would "hiccup". I believe the hiccup was because of the transition of when the gas pedal was pressed, at a certain point the throttle would just OPEN... thus getting the hiccup. It was an annoying factor for me.

Bottom line, it's smooth with the Alta tune... no hiccup.

Before I left to the track, I got a P0490 (I think) it's the code we get when throwing a catless converter on. I've had Exhaust Depot's exhaust on the car for almost 20K miles and never once saw that code.

I talked to Jeff before I left the track and he sent me a 4th tune. (the P0490 code was blanked out but the tune was a "special" tune which ran even better powerwise. I don't think the object was to release this to the public quite yet but since I was going to the track, we decided to try it.

Now, on to the good stuff.

The car runs like a freakin' raped ape. It pulls hard from down low and midrange. Though my redline was bumped to 7K rpm, the car doesn't make any more power from about 5000'ish to 7K than a stock JCW (I was running with a friend of my with a factory JCW)

This isn't anything to do with Alta's tune, the engines are simply too small to make power upstairs. I had my redline increased to 7K for shifting purposes coming out of a turn.... nothing more annoying than coming out of a turn and having to shift immediately and having the car fall on it's face because the rpms dropped 2K.

The tune threw codes all day. I made the first session (30 minutes) on Thursday and the car ran great, no codes, nothing.

From the second session on, the engine threw codes at me and 3-4 times sent me into limp mode while I was on the track. (HOW'S THAT FOR ANNOYING)

Fortunately, I left the AP plugged in and reset the code while I was driving. Yeah, I know, it's almost like texting but I'm on the track... not good.

I installed the 3rd tune Jeff had originally sent me (remember, I'm running their "special" tune to try it out)

Same thing... the last two sessions, the car went into limp mode several times and kept throwing codes.

So far, these tunes aren't looking too good. There's no point in having a tune that makes power if I can't finish a 30 minute session with it.

At least with the RMW tune, I never threw any codes.

So onto the phone with Jeff I go. We discussed the codes and Jeff sent me two other maps Friday morning.

Now, before I go any further, guys remember this. Having a tune on the street is one thing, having a tune that you are HAMMERING on the car for 30 minutes SOLID is something else. The odds of not throwing a code even if the car is bone stock is pretty unlikely.

I'm running with Track Daze and in the black advanced group. This is a fast group and I am pushing this car HARD. When you going up the esses and the car is starting to push and go straight with the wheels turned, I would hammer the crap out of the throttle and make the tires spin thus pulling the car through the turn. Point is, this isn't a green group that you can mosey through the turns and it isn't hard on the car, this is definitely hard on the car.

So where am I??

So Friday morning I install one of the two new maps. I ran the first session, no problems at all.

I ran a second session and the car thew a code but didn't go into limp mode. This is a great map and I liked the way it ran.

I wasn't pleased that it threw a code but it was a coolant circuitry code which I don't believe was tune related, like I said, even a stock car will throw certain codes when pushed on the track.

Now, the second of the two maps Jeff sent me was one that was tuned down a bit. The HP was approx 240 at the wheels and the torque down to 285'ish. I decided to try it.

The car ran perfectly, it pulled hard, ran great and threw no codes. I'll try this since I'm running Saturday and Sunday with the Mazda group and we'll see but I think this will be my track tune.

So overall, I had some problems, threw some codes and though happy with the performance I was disappointed about the codes thrown on some of the maps.

So where does this leave me in giving my review now that I've had a chance to drive it on the street, hammer it on the track??? Other than getting on a dyno to see the numbers (last test) I have to say this.

BUY THE TUNE!

Here's why I suggest this even after all this. I've had the RMW tune on my car for quite some time. I've said this a thousand times, Jan is a great guy and if he could clone himself, it would help but my problem is I need to be able to address issues if I have a problem. I can't even get to an RMW tuning party without waiting a year or driving 8 hours.... and for me, that isn't cutting it.

I don't expect any product to be perfect, you all know the saying, if it has **** or wheels, it's going to give you a problem.

Jeff was there for me the entire time. We traded messages, emails and phone calls all day to discuss this. His ability (even though he is slammed) to take the time to fix the issue and work with me was FANTASTIC.

I'm on the track in less than an hour and a half so I'll have today and tomorrow to play with this tune but so far, it runs great and when I did have a problem, Jeff was there to help.

So in my humble opinion, this is a thumbs-up tune and tool.

As an added note, for those that are familiar with VIR, the patriot was opened up the second day. I call it the great equalizer, I can tell you this. A yellow mini spanked MANY a high dollar car in these turns and when you have to get a point by by a Mustang V8 on the straightaway, you know somethings going on....

Great job Alta and Jeff... I'm super pleased.

Mark

Old 08-28-2010, 04:42 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AWESOME MARK! Great review and information. Sounds like you and Jeff are getting things narrowed down with the tune. Like you said...now for some dyno time.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:00 AM
minimarks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Hey all, I'm still up at VIR. I've spent Thursday and Friday on the track with Alta's tune. I installed Alta's tune last week and though it was initially impressive, I did want to see how it held up at the track.

Here's the scoop....

Jeff sent me 3 different tunes. They were all stage 3 tunes with with the same maps but the throttle/gas pedal settings were different, one was linear, more linear and SUPER linear.

The difference in the linear settings was simple... the more you pressed on the gas, the more the throttle opened.
0!
This is important because many of us had a stutter about 3200 rpms on the RMW tune and it would "hiccup". I believe the hiccup was because of the transition of when the gas pedal was pressed, at a certain point the throttle would just OPEN... thus getting the hiccup. It was an annoying factor for me.

Bottom line, it's smooth with the Alta tune... no hiccup.

Before I left to the track, I got a P0490 (I think) it's the code we get when throwing a catless converter on. I've had Exhaust Depot's exhaust on the car for almost 20K miles and never once saw that code.

I talked to Jeff before I left the track and he sent me a 4th tune. (the P0490 code was blanked out but the tune was a "special" tune which ran even better powerwise. I don't think the object was to release this to the public quite yet but since I was going to the track, we decided to try it.

Now, on to the good stuff.

The car runs like a freakin' raped ape. It pulls hard from down low and midrange. Though my redline was bumped to 7K rpm, the car doesn't make any more power from about 5000'ish to 7K than a stock JCW (I was running with a friend of my with a factory JCW)

This isn't anything to do with Alta's tune, the engines are simply too small to make power upstairs. I had my redline increased to 7K for shifting purposes coming out of a turn.... nothing more annoying than coming out of a turn and having to shift immediately and having the car fall on it's face because the rpms dropped 2K.

The tune threw codes all day. I made the first session (30 minutes) on Thursday and the car ran great, no codes, nothing.

From the second session on, the engine threw codes at me and 3-4 times sent me into limp mode while I was on the track. (HOW'S THAT FOR ANNOYING)

Fortunately, I left the AP plugged in and reset the code while I was driving. Yeah, I know, it's almost like texting but I'm on the track... not good.

I installed the 3rd tune Jeff had originally sent me (remember, I'm running their "special" tune to try it out)

Same thing... the last two sessions, the car went into limp mode several times and kept throwing codes.

So far, these tunes aren't looking too good. There's no point in having a tune that makes power if I can't finish a 30 minute session with it.

At least with the RMW tune, I never threw any codes.

So onto the phone with Jeff I go. We discussed the codes and Jeff sent me two other maps Friday morning.

Now, before I go any further, guys remember this. Having a tune on the street is one thing, having a tune that you are HAMMERING on the car for 30 minutes SOLID is something else. The odds of not throwing a code even if the car is bone stock is pretty unlikely.

I'm running with Track Daze and in the black advanced group. This is a fast group and I am pushing this car HARD. When you going up the esses and the car is starting to push and go straight with the wheels turned, I would hammer the crap out of the throttle and make the tires spin thus pulling the car through the turn. Point is, this isn't a green group that you can mosey through the turns and it isn't hard on the car, this is definitely hard on the car.

So where am I??

So Friday morning I install one of the two new maps. I ran the first session, no problems at all.

I ran a second session and the car thew a code but didn't go into limp mode. This is a great map and I liked the way it ran.

I wasn't pleased that it threw a code but it was a coolant circuitry code which I don't believe was tune related, like I said, even a stock car will throw certain codes when pushed on the track.

Now, the second of the two maps Jeff sent me was one that was tuned down a bit. The HP was approx 240 at the wheels and the torque down to 285'ish. I decided to try it.

The car ran perfectly, it pulled hard, ran great and threw no codes. I'll try this since I'm running Saturday and Sunday with the Mazda group and we'll see but I think this will be my track tune.

So overall, I had some problems, threw some codes and though happy with the performance I was disappointed about the codes thrown on some of the maps.

So where does this leave me in giving my review now that I've had a chance to drive it on the street, hammer it on the track??? Other than getting on a dyno to see the numbers (last test) I have to say this.

BUY THE TUNE!

Here's why I suggest this even after all this. I've had the RMW tune on my car for quite some time. I've said this a thousand times, Jan is a great guy and if he could clone himself, it would help but my problem is I need to be able to address issues if I have a problem. I can't even get to an RMW tuning party without waiting a year or driving 8 hours.... and for me, that isn't cutting it.

I don't expect any product to be perfect, you all know the saying, if it has **** or wheels, it's going to give you a problem.

Jeff was there for me the entire time. We traded messages, emails and phone calls all day to discuss this. His ability (even though he is slammed) to take the time to fix the issue and work with me was FANTASTIC.

I'm on the track in less than an hour and a half so I'll have today and tomorrow to play with this tune but so far, it runs great and when I did have a problem, Jeff was there to help.

So in my humble opinion, this is a thumbs-up tune and tool.

As an added note, for those that are familiar with VIR, the patriot was opened up the second day. I call it the great equalizer, I can tell you this. A yellow mini spanked MANY a high dollar car in these turns and when you have to get a point by by a Mustang V8 on the straightaway, you know somethings going on....

Great job Alta and Jeff... I'm super pleased.

Mark
What were your times?

??

Last edited by minimarks; 08-28-2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:35 AM
phlash
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the update so far Mark. Yeah, the limp mode on the track is a HUGE issue....knowing you personally, I can only imagine the words that came out of your mouth..... ....that's stupid dangerous to you and the others out there........

However, it's good to hear that Jeff and company are helping you along to get things sorted out. Please keep us posted throughout the weekend. Some of the RRR group is there running the Mazda weekend. You all play nice....and be safe.

later.....

Old 08-28-2010, 05:59 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimarks
What were your times?

??
Running the grand course (full, north, south with patriot) I was turning consistent 3.20s)

Mark

Old 08-28-2010, 06:44 AM
minimarks
6th Gear
With it going into limp mode?

Old 08-28-2010, 07:08 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Solid write-up and very helpful post. Thanks OrangeCrush

Old 08-28-2010, 07:14 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is great information. It's good to see Jeff is addressing the OBD codes that arose with the tune.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Chris G
3rd Gear
This is the kind of review many of us were looking for. Well done.

For street cars, the off the shelf tunes aren't bad at all.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:17 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree. I've started to go to the track much more with my R56 and data like this is extremely valuable.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:28 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimarks
With it going into limp mode?

Yes but with me resetting it as I was driving....

Mark

Old 08-28-2010, 05:35 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Stop writing these things Mark, all your posts make me want to drive to the dealer right now and buy a new car!

It's always nice to see that ALTA is so good with customers. When I got my SSK a while back I had a quick question about it but it was late at night, about 1 or 2, so I figured I'd just email them and get a response the next day. I had an email back from them within 15 minutes, and I was able to finish the job that night.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:07 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Mark,
Great input. Sounds like this is a "no brainer." Please keep us posted as your weekend progresses.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:18 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
Mark,
Great input. Sounds like this is a "no brainer." Please keep us posted as your weekend progresses.
I'm not going into details right now but the car is sitting back at my shop in 1000 pieces...

I hit a wall at about 120-125mph.... no more front end.

But on the bright side, the tune works.

Mark

Old 08-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Arnel
2nd Gear
Woah, no way! Sounds like you're ok? Sorry to hear about the car.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:53 PM
BamaCooperS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I'm not going into details right now but the car is sitting back at my shop in 1000 pieces...

I hit a wall at about 120-125mph.... no more front end.

But on the bright side, the tune works.

Mark
When things settle....details....pictures....?

Old 08-28-2010, 07:06 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Glad your OK..

Old 08-28-2010, 07:14 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear

Or should I say the damage that was done...

Mark

Last edited by orangecrush; 09-05-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:25 PM
BamaCooperS
3rd Gear
OUCH !!!!!!????!!!!!

Glad you're OK.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:44 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Oh man... glad to here you're okay. I'm so sorry about the car, I'd be devastated.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:49 PM
R56 Wi MINI
3rd Gear
Mark, the important thing is that you are ok. Goodluck with everything.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:54 PM
old81
M6
Mark,

Nice details and writeup on the tunes and tool.

Not nice to see your weekend come to a close, I do hope you are ok and good to go.

Remember to get yourself checked out again on Sunday, if you need too.

Nasty to move a wall like that, I hope the MINI is repairable, but if not I hope you get another.

Don

Old 08-28-2010, 08:01 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Total and complete bummer but glad you are ok. Is it fixable?

Old 08-28-2010, 08:08 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Yikes! Glad you're OK, that must have been a scary experience. What's scarier is imagining what the front of your car looked like after hitting the concrete.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:09 PM
MaitlandImports
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch, sorry about the hit. 3:20's is moving pretty good. get an idea of grand course lap times I found the car and driver lighting lap. Looks like they managed a 3:22 in a 2007 cooper S. I'm sure they had a pro in it so 3:20's isn't to shabby.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p_2009-feature

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 3rd day on track with Alta's Access Port and tune... review