Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:54 PM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major MINI Cooper ECU Tuning Announcement Due Soon Thread ?

Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Man you stole my thunder, I was just gonna post that for these guys haha.

I'm as excited for the N14 guys and my N18 MCS!!!
So Rob, you wanna start the thread or should I ? Or do we just take it in the:

The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-minis-22.html

and direct traffic there to give Scott his due ?

Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ALTA is dropping support in JUNE, there is no point of buying it. They won't give new maps to second hand buyer which is stupid IMHO.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:00 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
I say no new thread until we actually see something from them.

Otherwise it'll just be a fairy tale thread.

April 15th will tell....

Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
I say no new thread until we actually see something from them.

Otherwise it'll just be a fairy tale thread.

April 15th will tell....
I agree, I will start the thread as soon as a new update or release of their tuning product is out for the MINI community.

Hopefully April 15th comes by fast!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Jlobb2
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully it doesn't come on April 1st.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by SsgtThor
I do feel sorry for the folks who paid for the ap. I'm just happy because I haven't done any mods yet and this might be my first one!
It's not as if all the Access Ports will stop working in June. If someone has one, and it's working for them, what is the problem? The AP can still be used by tuners to build custom maps too.

Dave

Old 03-28-2013, 07:39 PM
borderwave2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
It's not as if all the Access Ports will stop working in June. If someone has one, and it's working for them, what is the problem? The AP can still be used by tuners to build custom maps too.

Dave
True, but in the event that an accesport stops working for whatever reason, the user is screwed.

Unlike every other platform supporte by Cobb's accesport, The AccessTuner Race software (custom tuning software for end users) was never released for Mini. Yet again, Mini owners get the shaft

Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Carey P
3rd Gear
When the time comes, the new thread should say 2007+ or 2007-2013.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
What should one expect concerning performance increase when adding a catless downpipe to a stock JCW exhaust with a stage 1 FMIC 92 oct map over the stock downpipe ie. HP/TQ/boost?

Last edited by TerminalVelocity; 03-31-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:37 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Why not just open a thread for that tuner now instead of continuing to clutter this one. The further the topic strays from accessport related stuff the less likely people's questions are to get answered.

If that tuner comes to fruition I'm sure the thread will boom and if not it'll just fade away. I'm sure the developers would love the free press!

Old 03-31-2013, 02:51 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree with Terminal, we need to stop talking about another tuning system on this thread.

Also- just because the AP is discontinued, doesn't mean the product has failed or people who bought it are SOL. Mine hasn't given me any issues and I can't wait to move to stage 2. And yes, if the AP breaks, you're out of luck....I haven't read or heard of any AP's breaking in the past...Mini or Subaru. But worst case is, keep the tune permanently or find a way to clear it and start over. People need to stop coming on this thread and saying they feel bad for whomever bought the AP.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using NAMotoring

Old 03-31-2013, 03:03 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I started a new thread for those who cluttered this one.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:40 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Here is the new thread.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ne-thread.html

Your welcome!

Dave

Old 04-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Apologies if this has been answered before..

If I have the dealer update the ECU software on my car, will the ECU ID change?

Right now, the AP sees that my ECU is a GA60B. Is that the physical unit, or the current software revision or something that its running?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 AM
CarlosDMotor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mindspin311

Right now, the AP sees that my ECU is a GA60B. Is that the physical unit, or the current software revision or something that its running?
I don't think it will change, but you have to uninstall the accessport or else it won't recognize the car and you wouldnt be able to use it

Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Just like Drew said, uninstall the AP before taking it to the dealer, then reinstall it once service is complete. Its a pain, but it is the safe way to do it. Plus, it makes you appreciate the AP when you drive to and from the dealer.

Mike

Old 04-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Im trying to figure out of the ECU ID will change. Talking directly to Jeff Perrin, he commented that my ID is not very common. So I am curious if a software update will do the trick.

But, Im not paying $100 for them to update it if it wont help at all.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 PM
CarlosDMotor
4th Gear
Im trying to figure out of the ECU ID will change. Talking directly to Jeff Perrin, he commented that my ID is not very common. So I am curious if a software update will do the trick.

But, Im not paying $100 for them to update it if it wont help at all.
Are you having trouble installing it? The AP overrides the tune, so an ecu update would be erased. Im not really sure why you're having it updated. More info would help

Old 04-01-2013, 01:51 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
My ECU has been updated, but the 'H910B' identification remains constant. I can't say for sure with your ECU, but my opinion is that the ID will not change.

Mike

Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ScorpionSkins.com
I would love the P&B as well, but I was previously replied to in this thread by Chris that it would never happen.

Speaking of which, Chris, if you read this, I'd like to know if I'll be able to take advantage of the Stage 2 and Stage 3 maps if I have the Akrapovic 100c downpipe and a Borla 2.5 exhaust (even if the 3" is the recommended).

I'm running a FMIC and DOS intake at the moment.

I'll also be installing a water/meth kit at some point soon, will this perhaps negate the 3" exhaust requirement to take advantage of the maps?

Thanks!
Sorry I've been MIA for a little while! Yes P&B maps aren't going to happen unfortunately, Jeff worked on these last year for a few guys, and it gave some drivability issues.

Originally Posted by borderwave2
True, but in the event that an accesport stops working for whatever reason, the user is screwed.

Unlike every other platform supporte by Cobb's accesport, The AccessTuner Race software (custom tuning software for end users) was never released for Mini. Yet again, Mini owners get the shaft
The AccessPORT actually has a one year warranty. If something happens to the AP after that, it's not very expensive to fix, screens are only around $25 or so, if the AP board gets really messed up, the most I've seen it being is $100 to fix it.

Originally Posted by Richieb0y28
I agree with Terminal, we need to stop talking about another tuning system on this thread.

Also- just because the AP is discontinued, doesn't mean the product has failed or people who bought it are SOL. Mine hasn't given me any issues and I can't wait to move to stage 2. And yes, if the AP breaks, you're out of luck....I haven't read or heard of any AP's breaking in the past...Mini or Subaru. But worst case is, keep the tune permanently or find a way to clear it and start over. People need to stop coming on this thread and saying they feel bad for whomever bought the AP.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using NAMotoring
Look at my previous comment.

Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. Are you having problems with your tune right now?

Old 04-10-2013, 12:33 AM
pocari
2nd Gear
Just wondering if anyone still having idling rev issues. I've had a few maps sent to me over the past year and none of them have really worked. I've sent alta an email few days ago but have yet to get a reply.

I have an automatic running the stage 1 92 with FMIC map.

mods are Dos intake, helix fmic, fJCW exhaust, boost tubes + others that shouldn't affect the tune

Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 AM
DasCooper
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pocari
Just wondering if anyone still having idling rev issues. I've had a few maps sent to me over the past year and none of them have really worked. I've sent alta an email few days ago but have yet to get a reply.

I have an automatic running the stage 1 92 with FMIC map.

mods are Dos intake, helix fmic, fJCW exhaust, boost tubes + others that shouldn't affect the tune
I think it would be helpful for you to list the actual map names you received and the one you are using now. That goes for anyone else on this thread. Since support is going away soon it will be the best way that members can help each other out.

Perhaps we can work something out with the mods so we can host AP maps on NAM.

If the gods love us, maybe we can even get Cobb to give us the Accesstuner Racesoftware so we can build our own maps and share as a community. Ok..dreaming now... :-)

Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
I have called and pleaded and pleaded with both Cobb and Alta for access tuner race. Cobb says its up to alta and alta says that Cobb won't do it. Maybe if we get a petition together with enough signatures they will listen to us. But really why would Alta release the race software when now they get to charge us for tunes. It is a pipe dream but I guess we all have them lol.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 AM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Sacred Disorder
I have called and pleaded and pleaded with both Cobb and Alta for access tuner race. Cobb says its up to alta and alta says that Cobb won't do it. Maybe if we get a petition together with enough signatures they will listen to us. But really why would Alta release the race software when now they get to charge us for tunes. It is a pipe dream but I guess we all have them lol.

Sign me up. Seems like a mutually beneficial situation to me. The can make money (I would imagine a pretty healthy margin too) and we get to continue to use the AP. Plus perception of Cobb and Alta would continue to be positive if not get better.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 AM
DasCooper
1st Gear
Thanks for the info Sacred Disorder! I had no idea it was a "mom said" "dad said" kind of scenario.

As a show of good faith to their customers-- since Cobb and Alta EOL'ed the AccessPort and are ending support--they should come to an agreement and give us the Accesstuner Race sw.

I like the petition idea but would hope that we can get some good will here given all the money we have spent on both their products.

I suspect if we all started making AP maps there would still be plenty of room for Alta to make $$ consulting and helping us tweak them.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread