Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Carey P
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Sharpie
Flashed stage 0 today from stage one. After my commute I heard the fan kick on. I forgot it used to come on stock before the AP. why doesn't the fan come on with any other flash? I do the same commute ever day. 2012 JCW boost inlet intake and intercooler.

Anyone else experience this?
That's weird. I don't notice the fan turn on either when I turn off the engine any more, but then it is winter, so it may be coincidental.

However, I did notice that when I switched back to Stage 1 from Stage 0 this morning just after driving it home (and testing Stage 0), the fan switched on after turning off the ignition (after the reflash), yet it was not on when I first turned off the ignition while still in Stage 0. I remember this distinctly because I was thinking it might have turned on because Stage 1 is more aggressive and it may have assumed since the car was still warm that it was driven aggressively. Sounds confusing I know.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Black Sharpie
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Carey P
That's weird. I don't notice the fan turn on either when I turn off the engine any more, but then it is winter, so it may be coincidental.

However, I did notice that when I switched back to Stage 1 from Stage 0 this morning just after driving it home (and testing Stage 0), the fan switched on after turning off the ignition (after the reflash), yet it was not on when I first turned off the ignition while still in Stage 0. I remember this distinctly because I was thinking it might have turned on because Stage 1 is more aggressive and it may have assumed since the car was still warm that it was driven aggressively. Sounds confusing I know.

I was able to replicate this again. Yesterday I had Stage 1 flash, same commute, no fan on. Today Stage 0 (Stock) and the fan comes on.

What is the issue here? Can someone from ALTA chime in please?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:07 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There has been some other people that have said the same thing, maybe 30+ pages back. The ALTA tune doesn't change the fan settings, but it seems like it might be somehow affecting it. No one has seemed to have had an issue with overheating, so it doesn't seem to cause a problem with the engine.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Carpeviam
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Black Sharpie
I was able to replicate this again. Yesterday I had Stage 1 flash, same commute, no fan on. Today Stage 0 (Stock) and the fan comes on.

What is the issue here? Can someone from ALTA chime in please?
Same temp outside?

My fan would go on after turning the car off with either Stage 1 or stock maps in the summer. It didn't really seem to matter. And actually one time at the dealer for something unrelated, they called and said they replaced the thermostat or something cause the noticed the fan stayed on longer than they thought it should (yes, i had the stock map flashed for that visit). I really didn't notice any change from that though cause it still went on and stayed on just as long after.

But now in the winter, my engine just goes off with no fan going on anymore.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Carey P
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Carpeviam
Same temp outside?

My fan would go on after turning the car off with either Stage 1 or stock maps in the summer. It didn't really seem to matter. And actually one time at the dealer for something unrelated, they called and said they replaced the thermostat or something cause the noticed the fan stayed on longer than they thought it should (yes, i had the stock map flashed for that visit). I really didn't notice any change from that though cause it still went on and stayed on just as long after.

But now in the winter, my engine just goes off with no fan going on anymore.
It is probably the winter weather. Though it is 70 here and I ran it very hard I still didn't get the fan to turn on in Stage 1. In fact the only time it turned on was after flashing to Stage 0 while the car engine was off and then turning off the ignition. As soon as I did that it turned on and ran for a while. This is why I thought the AP had something to do with it.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 PM
ThEgMaNofCourse
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Reprogram Accessport for MINI

Alta, if i buy an accessport from someone and its doesnt have the MINI software, could i send it to you guys and have it programmed for a MINI??

right now the mini ones are rare a find and ive been tryna get my hands on one for a while now ...

Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
I think what you're asking if an AccessPORT for a different car (Subaru, Mazda, Mitubishi, etc) can be programmed to run on a MINI. Unfortunatly, the answer is no. The only AccessPORT that can work on the MINI is the MINI AccessPORT. Sorry!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:55 PM
ThEgMaNofCourse
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
that was what i was asking .. thanks anyway

Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM
DasCooper
1st Gear
I had an issue with the MCSa Stage 1 FMIC map resulting in the car surging and shifting incorrectly under load.

Just wanted to give props to Chris for sorting this out straightaway with a great follow up map.

Thank you Chris!!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Since the AP is going away this year, when do you guys recommend we should get/do our last and final update for the AP and AP Manager? I haven't updated mine since October, but I also haven't uninstalled the map since then either. If everything is running smoothly as it is, should I just leave everything alone, or should I make sure to update the AP Manager one last time before the updates end?

Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Richie,

The updates will always be on COBB's server, so you can update it whenever you want. The only thing that I would recommend doing is not letting the dealer update the ECU after December 2013. After that date, we aren't adding any more ECUs to the database, thanks!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Ah okay, I didn't know about the COBB server, alright cool. Thanks for the info, I don't plan on having the dealer update the ECU, as my warranty is up this year anyways.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2013, 09:27 AM
nemeth
2nd Gear
You aren't going to update the AP anymore ?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Carey P
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DasCooper
I had an issue with the MCSa Stage 1 FMIC map resulting in the car surging and shifting incorrectly under load.

Just wanted to give props to Chris for sorting this out straightaway with a great follow up map.

Thank you Chris!!
Cool. You lucked out.
I have Jeff working on maps for mine. So far not so good.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 AM
Melkiah
2nd Gear
I'm afraid to buy an AP now. I might get one that's married to someone elses car and than screwed out of 1k. It's really unfortunate that I can't get a new AP. I live right around the corner from Plano Cobb who actually specializes in tunes for mini.

Sad day.

Last edited by Melkiah; 02-14-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 AM
nemeth
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Melkiah
I'm afraid to buy an AP now. I might get one that's married to someone elses car and than screwed out of 1k. It's really unfortunate that I can't get a new AP. I live right around the corner from Plano Cobb who actually specializes in tunes for mini.

Sad day.
I'm confused as to why you can't buy an AP

Old 02-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Carey P
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Melkiah

Sad day.
Don't be afraid!
Make sure whoever you buy one from sends you photos of the "Install" screen and the "AP About - AP Info" screen like below. The pictures below show that the AP is "married" to the vehicle.

You DO NOT want to see that circle with a diagonal line through it. If unmarried it should just say "Install", and NOT "uninstall". The AP Info screen should NOT show that it is installed either. It should say "Uninstalled" under the "Installation State" and NOT give any Vehicle ECU number either. Hope this helps you and anyone else out there buying one used, because I did get burned by the seller and had to send in to Cobb for a reset, costing me about $50 with shipping. But I was lucky that the original owner could supply info to Cobb on his totalled car plus his original receipt from Alta. Otherwise, it is $500 (not $1000). Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread-ap1.jpg   The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread-ap2.jpg  

Last edited by Carey P; 02-11-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Bcoday
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adam or Chris,
I have the AP and I have been saving datalogs for a while. I actually export them into a database that I'm tweaking that database to alert me when the data is too high for a specific field. For example, I can set the database to make the field RED if Boost exceeds 20PSI. I can do the same for any data field.

SO.... Is there any way that you can tell me what some optimum settings are for my 09 Mini Cooper S? What would be considered "bad" for AFR, Boost, Timing, etc.

I'm pretty new to all this so any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Hi Bcoday,

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be that easy to just have a limit built into that formula, since it all will be based on other numbers. For example, the AFR will be 20 when you're off the throttle, but when you're on the throttle, it'll vary anywhere from 14.7-11 depending on load. For boost, the car will automatically scale it down once it sees that it's too high to get back to the target. If it's way too high, it will cut boost.

Timing will also vary with load, and the MINI doesn't have a specific column for recording knock.

The MINI ECU is good at making changes on the fly, so even if there is a small leak, it can make changes quickly to make the AFR spot on.

If you ever notice anything weird while driving though, you could always try to log a full throttle run and send it over to us.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Hey Alta-

What would I need to push me into stage 2 for the AP? Does it have to be a 3" exhaust or if I decide on a 2.5, will that work?

Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Richie,

To run the stage 2 map, you need a 3" turbo back exhaust. Anything smaller you will run a stage 1 map, even if it's a turbo back. Thanks!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
ok, thanks Chris..

ended up ordering the AR Design 3" catted dp and the Alta exhaust....hopefully everything works out and runs well.

Last edited by Richieb0y28; 02-15-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Carey P
3rd Gear
Very odd thing happened. I switched my map to the Stage 1 91Oct TPS map (from non-TPS) to do a run for Jeff. But when I started the car right after, the gas guage read 0 (no gas - no orange or red carrot lights lit. Just a red gas light and a big gas symbol in the dash (and sound). When I started it I could see the guage do it's light test thing scanning up and back down, but then staying down - all carrot lights off.

I just filled the tank yesterday- only 8 miles ago. I tried turning off and on the ignition and starting the car a few times but nothing changed. I checked for codes and I had two but only remember the P2727 which is a high pressure pump E error (?). I've already had the Fuel pump changed under the recall. I cleared both, but it didn't help. I then switched maps back to Stage 1 91Oct (non-TPS) like I usually use. The problem still remained!

The car didn't sound funny and I knew I really had plenty of gas so I went to the store. Parked it and went grocery shopping. Got back to the car, started it up and the gauge now read full - all lights orange and no warning! What the heck? Can the AP maps have any affect the fuel sensors or fuel pump?? Never had this problem before. Only 31K mi on car.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:02 PM
magoolll
1st Gear
Pann Auto Performance indicates that they still have Alta Access Ports available for sale

Old 02-18-2013, 01:08 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
Pann is charging $850 + shipping for NOS units. If anyone is interested, I have a perfect condition, gently-used unit for sale at $650. I am located in So. Fla. Contact me at: ChckrdDmn@gmail.com if you're interested...

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread