Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM
james1b
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to think it made a difference? I hadn't noticed any issues prior to the treatment, just done as a preventive item. It was certainly worth the $12 to see all the smoke anyway!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It blows mind how people get sub-30 mpg in their MCS. I am still averaging 32.5 combined right with a tune and a whole mess of mods done to it.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Carey P
3rd Gear
So back to the AccessPORT...
Chris, you have any ideas on the rpm surge under acceleration when shifting? I said before I didn't notice it in the non-TPS map, but I actually found that I do when under hard acceleration. It's not as noticeablle as it is in the TPS version where just slight acceleration or loading on the engine/turbo causes a rise in rpms just after disengaging clutch.

The problem is that you can't re-engage the clutch fast enough without causing the car to lurch. The rpms should drop immediately when the clutch pedal is pushed in - in preparation for the lower rpms needed on the next higher gear. I mean hey, that's how it's been for over a century right?

I am still on Stage 1 91 octane, but I heard others have this using higher stages. I do believe it may be mainly with 2007 MCS manual transmissions. I also have the JCW kit. Is there anything you can do before the dreaded July deadline? Maybe I should just call you on this. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:35 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Porthos
It blows mind how people get sub-30 mpg in their MCS. I am still averaging 32.5 combined right with a tune and a whole mess of mods done to it.
Hand calculated or per the on-board computer?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:45 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carey P
So back to the AccessPORT...
Chris, you have any ideas on the rpm surge under acceleration when shifting? I said before I didn't notice it in the non-TPS map, but I actually found that I do when under hard acceleration. It's not as noticeablle as it is in the TPS version where just slight acceleration or loading on the engine/turbo causes a rise in rpms just after disengaging clutch.

The problem is that you can't re-engage the clutch fast enough without causing the car to lurch. The rpms should drop immediately when the clutch pedal is pushed in - in preparation for the lower rpms needed on the next higher gear. I mean hey, that's how it's been for over a century right?

I am still on Stage 1 91 octane, but I heard others have this using higher stages. I do believe it may be mainly with 2007 MCS manual transmissions. I also have the JCW kit. Is there anything you can do before the dreaded July deadline? Maybe I should just call you on this. Thanks.
Carey, we can fix this. If you PM me your email and ECU type, Jeff should be able to make a map that will help. The same thing happened on another guys car a few months ago, thanks!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Carey, we can fix this. If you PM me your email and ECU type, Jeff should be able to make a map that will help. The same thing happened on another guys car a few months ago, thanks!
Hi Chris,

I sent a few datalogs to Jeff regarding this issue and never heard back. Should I send the info somewhere else?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Mindspin, you contacted us a few months ago right? If you haven't heard from us, for sure send him another email. He's a pretty busy guy, but the only person that can make changes in the map like this.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Mindspin, you contacted us a few months ago right? If you haven't heard from us, for sure send him another email. He's a pretty busy guy, but the only person that can make changes in the map like this.
Yes, more than likely me. I will resend my data.

Sounds like you guys figured out a solution. Care to elaborate?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Black Sharpie
3rd Gear
I have a 2012 JCW w Alta CAI, Boost Inlet tube and FMIC.

What boost should I be hitting? I have the 92+ octane Stage 1 flash on my ECU.

I noticed my car has become less torquey and fast in the last few days. Not sure If i have a boost leak or something.

After a few datalogs to redline, from 3rd gear at 2000rpm the max boost I am hitting is

21.88 psi.

Does any one think a boost or vacuum leak can be my problem?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:37 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I have not logged my own car, but I have heard others hit 21 psi. I think if you had a boost leak you would have trouble getting much boost at all.

Mike

Old 01-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Carey P
3rd Gear
Thanks for responding! Sent you a PM with info. Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
Yes, more than likely me. I will resend my data.

Sounds like you guys figured out a solution. Care to elaborate?
We haven't quite figured out a solution for this yet. Try this, go to a stage 0 map and see if there's any differences, we are thinking it may be coming from the heavy factory flywheel, or maybe even just the different throttle maps if you're noticing it when you're shifting into gears.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Carey P
3rd Gear
We haven't quite figured out a solution for this yet. Try this, go to a stage 0 map and see if there's any differences, we are thinking it may be coming from the heavy factory flywheel, or maybe even just the different throttle maps if you're noticing it when you're shifting into gears.
I never really understood what the Stage 0 map was for. Is it a standard default factory map that is different from my original JCW map? That is, it would be even less agressive than if I simply uninstall the AP?

If you haven't really figured it out yet, then you would be sending me a map as sort of a trial fix? A lighter flywheel is not standard, so it would seem there should be a separate map for that, not built into the standard collection of maps for my vehicle. I assume there is more to the story.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:17 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Stage 0 is the stock ECU programming. Its there so you can run your car with the factory tune without actually unmarrying the car.

I will try messing with that tonight. Weird that only some cars exhibit this issue?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hand calculated or per the on-board computer?
According to fuelly.com

Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 AM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
According to fuelly.com
I usually get around 27-28 hand calculated during my commutes to work. 6mi each way, no highway.

On the highway, Ill see 32-33, but never higher. Thats around 75-80mph.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Stage 0

Stage 0 is the stock ECU programming. Its there so you can run your car with the factory tune without actually unmarrying the car.

I will try messing with that tonight. Weird that only some cars exhibit this issue?
I'm taking my car in to the dealer for an oil change (they have a special).

1. Should I install Stage 0 or go back to the stock map (I gather the map is the actually the same) before taking it in to the dealer. In other words, in the unlikely event that they check the ECU for an oil change, can they tell I have the Accessport if it's at Stage 0?

2. How much more difficult is it to remove the Accessport (unmarry?) than switch to Stage 0?

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM
Carey P
3rd Gear

If it's the same I wonder what is the point to try Stage 0. I never had the problem with the stock tune.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Unmarry the AP before going to the dealer. Takes 3 minutes, another 5 minutes to install. Not worth taking a chance that they update your ECU and make your AP have fits.

Mike

Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by LarriB
I'm taking my car in to the dealer for an oil change (they have a special).

1. Should I install Stage 0 or go back to the stock map (I gather the map is the actually the same) before taking it in to the dealer. In other words, in the unlikely event that they check the ECU for an oil change, can they tell I have the Accessport if it's at Stage 0?

2. How much more difficult is it to remove the Accessport (unmarry?) than switch to Stage 0?

Thanks!
You have to uninstall the AP when you go to the dealer. This is really important! If not, then they could overwrite the tune, and the AP will think you're plugging it into a different car.

It takes just another 30 seconds or so to uninstall it compared to loading a stage 0 map.

The stage 0 map is really for doing datalogs comparing how the car is running compared to a custom map. A datalog can't be run on a car that the AP isn't married to.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Chris and Mike- Really clear instructions and why.

Thanks much!

Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by james1b
You may want to try a can of Seafoam in a tank of gas and Seafoam is also making an aerosol specifically to spray into the intake. I have an '09 JCW with 47k miles. Just had the plugs changed under warranty. Apparently the service codes on your key for the JCW do not alert them to the 36k plug change. Once I asked, they were glad to do it.

I've had the AP in my car for 30k (93 octane, stage 1) and love it! I have averaged 30 mpg the entire time I have owned the car and can't imagine driving it without the AP. With the JCW, I'm not concerned about future support. It runs flawlessly now and any mods beyond my CAI would be pointless. It will break traction in 3rd gear now, any more power would be useless!
What mods are you running? I have the identical car almost and am running the AP stage one and about to stage two after my intercom let install. I don't get near the power you describe.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 PM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Sorry. Intercooler install. Stupid iPhone

Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Carey P
3rd Gear
Sent you a PM on the results of Stage 0.

Saw no difference from before using the AP. RPM's immediately drop like normal after clutch depression under load - no surges at all. Hope that helps. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Black Sharpie
3rd Gear
Flashed stage 0 today from stage one. After my commute I heard the fan kick on. I forgot it used to come on stock before the AP. why doesn't the fan come on with any other flash? I do the same commute ever day. 2012 JCW boost inlet intake and intercooler.

Anyone else experience this?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread