Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Helix or Forge intercooler and why

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:39 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Helix or Forge intercooler and why

Ok, I've got the RMW tune, now I want the intercooler.

Both the Helix and the Forge look good. Is one better than the other?

Rich

Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 AM
ALTA_JOHNL
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to throw the ALTA FMIC into the mix as well.

We have an updated web page on our web site with more & easier to follow information and data.

"ALTA was the first to bring you a Larger Front Mounted Intercooler for your R56 and JCW, we were the first to bring you proven dyno performance, we were the first to bring you solid temperature data, and the first R56 to break the 280WHP mark with our intercooler, proving our intercooler works for all levels of cars."

PROVEN HORSEPOWER
This dyno graph shows the HP and TQ gaines when installing the ALTA front mount intercoller on an R56 with a turboback exhaust. The only part changed between runs was intercooler. The MINI was super consistent and was very happy to have an ALTA intercooler installed! This is one of the many dyno graphs proving the benifits of the ALTA FMIC.

45-55F COOLER CHARGE TEMPS!
The ALTA FMIC cooled the charge temps down 45F-55F degrees cooler than the stock FMIC. Unlike competitors we tested these intercoolers on our dyno, on the same day, within 1 hour of each run. These tests performed on a JCW. (Stock car with a Stage 1 ECU tune) What you can't see is how repeatable these numbers are!They are solid every time!

Go To The ALTA FMIC Web Page For The Whole Story And More Data Than You Want

Look for more dyno data on different set ups from stock to wild.

Oh Ya it looks cool and is available in Stealth Black And Cool Silver.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 AM
ALTA_JOHNL
Former Vendor
Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
I just purchased a FORGE intercooler the other day and hope to install it this weekend. I have heard only good things regarding them. I will give a short review including any tips/issues/pointers etc regarding installation but have not mapped any pre-dyno graphs or intake temps etc. I did it in preparation for a tune down the road...and, of course, for a colder charge in the meantime. This is my daily driver so I am trying to stay conservative for now.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:07 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Ok, Thoughts on the Helix, Forge, or the Alta?

Old 08-12-2010, 02:26 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Helix & Forge are essentially the same, except one has cast endtanks and one is welded. The stepped core design is what drew me to the Helix. Install was a breeze, fits perfectly (aka no cutting), and best of all it works really well.

Alta is $699....Helix is $749......$50 more for something that is a more sophisticated design. I'm sure they both give results though. Both manufacturers have posted a multitude of data as well.

Helix gets my vote though.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:58 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
I have the Alta stealth inter cooler and I have been very happy with it. The car pulls much harder and the temps run only a few degres above ambient, maybe 2 or 4.

Oh and Alta's water/Meth injection Rocks also!!

Old 08-12-2010, 05:17 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oops, wrong thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:28 PM
pillar
5th Gear
the thing i dislike completely from an aesthetic point of view is how offset the oem, forge and helix intercooler is. It almost looks like the mini got knocked in the face and now its two front tooth are mis-aligned. The alta at least was able to center theirs. If its all the same, id go alta only cuz its cheaper and aesthetically pleasing.

http://www.helix13.com/images/helixfmicmini2.jpg

http://www.waymotorworks.com/images/D/FMINTR56.jpg

http://www.minicooperspeed.com/wp-co...-Installed.jpg

Old 08-12-2010, 06:22 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Both the Forge and Helix fit perfectly. I think the Forge comes with a better flowing lower grill now so that might be a one up on the Helix. The both don't require any cutting of the grill.

If Way and Chad recommend Forge and Helix you can trust it's not going to give you problems in the long run.

I had my Helix stepped-core FMIC for over 25,000 miles on my R56. Zero problems and a big 'effin grin!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:04 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I went with the Helix IC a year and a half ago in the very first group buy and would highly recommend it. Install is easy and fit is great. No trouble in the last year and a half at all. They even recently improved the step design as well. I think the stepped design utilizes the available space well.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:12 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by pillar
the thing i dislike completely from an aesthetic point of view is how offset the oem, forge and helix intercooler is. It almost looks like the mini got knocked in the face and now its two front tooth are mis-aligned. The alta at least was able to center theirs. If its all the same, id go alta only cuz its cheaper and aesthetically pleasing.

http://www.helix13.com/images/helixfmicmini2.jpg

http://www.waymotorworks.com/images/D/FMINTR56.jpg

http://www.minicooperspeed.com/wp-co...-Installed.jpg
What most people don't see is the OEM one is offset also. And all those above just copied the OEM par then made it taller. We took it a step further and made it wider so it would fit the entire grill making use of that huge opening!

We fully understand that our intercooler does require a bit more trimming of some plastic, but it is 100% worth it. Also the equal flow design distributes the air equally across the core, not just through the fatter less restricive part. This is why our IC cools the charge temps better. This part is for sure a key component to making power consistently from your R56. Maybe more so than a turbo back exhaust.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:48 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Ok Jeff,

I just ordered your intercooler... Have you got a set of instructions so I know what I'm getting myself into as far as trimming?

Rich

Old 08-14-2010, 09:00 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
THANK YOU RICHARD!!!

CLICK HERE

and

CLICK HERE

Thanks again!!! Let us know if you do have any questions at all. Always happy to help online, phone or e-mail!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:32 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Well it doesn't look that hard...

Old 08-14-2010, 12:06 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Helix. Installed by Helix.

MINI intercooler on the left. BMW intercooler on the right.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:04 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry

Famous Last Words.....

Old 08-14-2010, 02:19 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Just think of the cleaning oppertunities...

Old 08-14-2010, 08:45 PM
pillar
5th Gear
In the event (god forbid) that you break those annoying pop-it tabs, you can always take a small drill bit and drill at an angle to dislodge the outer tab. Never been so satisfied... cept now im missing 2

Old 08-15-2010, 12:18 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by richardsperry
It really isn't that bad. Just take your time and call / email or PM us with any questions along the way. Congrats on the new purchase!!!

Old 08-15-2010, 04:33 PM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
helix intercooler ftw. got one on the mini and got my friend one on his 335. both are beastly, just look at the picture above

Old 08-15-2010, 04:38 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
I installed the FORGE intercooler today. This is a nice piece but a bit heavier than I imagined it would be. Ofcourse, it's significantly bigger than the OE cooler but it's also 4X heavier. It also does not fit as intended on a 2010 MCS. The tab for mounting on the bumper reinforcement was either welded incorrectly or just flat out wasn't designed with a 2010 as a template because there is no way to make it work. I simply used my angle grinder to cut the tab off and it's just fine being held by the two mounting screws. The hoses actually hold the unit in and of themselves but I wouldn't want to advise anybody to use the hoses only as a means of securing their intercooler. FORGE actually includes a new grille that is shaved on the inside to allow clearance which is nice. There are two tabs that also have to be cut from the top side of the lower opening but this is easily done with a plastic cutting wheel on a dremel tool. So, all in all I am happy but I would have like to have used the mounting tab as it was intended(I am just kinda **** like that). I took the car for a short drive but didn't really get on it...just wanted to make sure that all was good.

I have a lift in my garage so it makes this job quick but it still took me a few hours or so because I like to take my time and pay attention to detail. This is definitely a DIY job....nothing hard to figure out and nothing that can't be overcome by thinking for just a minute. The trick with clips is to just be patient....they shouldn't break.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:28 AM
MCS9211
2nd Gear
alta stealth ic all the way! i have it...i love it!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:49 PM
raven9mm
2nd Gear
I also ran into that issue on the Forge about 2 months ago for my dad's 2010. I sent it back to Forge, and they looked at the pics I took, and they said that Mini changed the crash bumper in 2010, so now they are supposed to be working on a 2010 version. About a month ago, Forge changed their website to reflect that their intercooler does not fit the 2010, just the '07-'09.
I am hopeful that it will be soon, so they can send one with the corrected mounting points.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:27 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
I contacted Way and he has not returned my email as of yet. I will ask him if he can get me the correct fitting one from Forge. I am a stickler for detail and I am disappointed that this has slipped through the cracks.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Helix or Forge intercooler and why