How To Drivetrain :: ALTA Intercooler Upgrade DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 04:58 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivetrain :: ALTA Intercooler Upgrade DIY

Hello folks,

Welcome to another DIY by yours truly. This one depicts how to install the ALTA AMP-ENG-420 FMIC Upgrade for your Clubman S or Cooper S R56. More details on the product can be found on our website by clicking:

HERE for the Stealth Version

HERE for the Standard Version

As always find the compressed .pdf file at the end of this and the text only below. Let me know if I can help in anyway shape or form!

HERE WE GO:

Lloyd gets a reason to smile! (AMP-ENG-420 INSTALLATION)

Hey Folks,

Here is one of the latest parts from ALTA as well as a new part for “Lloyd”

Out of a huge pile of parts we decided it was best to start with the Front Mount Intercooler.

1) As always raise the car onto jack stands or car ramps and secure properly to prevent injury or killing you and others. This will make this install easier as you will need to go under the car in several of the steps.

2) Please note that many of the Pop-its removed may become damaged. It is normal. But extra effort should be given to minimize the amount broken.

3) Using the photo below as a guide remove the four stubborn pop-its on the top of the grill.

4) Then remove the lower grill trim being careful not to break the mounting tabs. It does just pull off from the front. I found it easiest to work from one end, toward the middle then finish on the other side. Once that is out of the way you will be left with the photo below. What I am pointing at with my gloved hand is the little release tabs for the grill itself. Simply push them toward the middle of the car to release each one. Then simply pull the grill forward to remove it.

5) Now remove the TORX screws that are now visible on both sides of the bumper. Shown below with my knee and tool.

6) Now proceed below the front bumper to remove the series of pop-its and two torx screws securing the bumper to the body.

7) Then on both sides of the fender wells you will see a series of screw head pop fittings. Remove all of them from both sides. The pictures below will help illustrate where they are and then also where the next pop-its and screws are. All of the photos are shown on the Passenger Side.

8) Then you need to remove a pop-it that I am pointing too with my index finger in the photo below.

9) Now that all of the pop-its have been removed on both sides. Carefully pry the fender trim away from the body to access a TorX head screw shown in the picture below. You should be able to see my tool on the screw itself while the fender trim is pulled away. Again repeat for the driver side.

10) Now with all of those pop-its and screws out, carefully slide the bumper skin away from the body. NOTE: UNLIKE THE VEHICLE SHOWN ABOVE IF YOURS IS EQUIPPED WITH XENON AND COLD PACKAGE YOU WILL NEED TO ALSO REMOVE THE WATER HOSE FROM THE BUMPER SKIN. IT SHOULD BE OBVIOUS HOW TO DO IT. FAILURE TO REMOVE IT COULD DAMAGE THE LINE.

11) This will leave you with this! Now remove the torx screws on both sides and loosen the clamps that secure the hoses to the OEM intercooler. Now gently pry the intercooler out of the hoses and away from the car.

12) Trimming plastic to gain extra clearance. The next series of photos shows before and after trimming on both sides of the intercooler. This is important to allow enough clearance to the new ALTA Core. You really can’t trim too much, but you do need to avoid removing the OEM mount areas, so you can re-install the OEM core if you choose to in the future. Driver side first:

Now the passenger side:

13) I did forget one picture and I am sorry but the photo shown below with the core mounted gives you the right idea. You need to file back the little plastic stays for the IC condenser shown in the photos above. They need to be slimmed down a bit to allow the ALTA core to rest farther back. Once that is done place the supplied rubber trim over the bottom side of the bumper beam to help cushion the core. Then install the core and tighten the clamps.

14) Now lets trim the bumper! The following pictures show what and where to trim off the back side of the bumper. Please note you must remove the temp sensor from the bumper. You will remove its mount. Then wire tie it back into a similar position. (NOTE: BEFORE is shown first!)

NOW the AFTER:

15) If everything is trimmed properly test fit the bumper skin back onto the car. You should fee l only slight resistance at the bottom. The top and sides should easily allow the OEM hardware to be re-installed. I have found on most installations I have done, that the lower po-its RARELY go back it, but the screws will more than hold it in place. Also as a good rule of thumb the bumper to hood gap should be even from the front to the back as shown in the picture below. If not, more trimming is needed.

As always if anyone has any questions or concerns, PLEASE let me know. Always happy to help out!

Adam
ADAMSALTAMINI
Adam.taft@altaminiperformance.com
503-222-MINI

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LLOYDFMICINSTALLcomp.pdf (358.6 KB, 1008 views)
Old 07-27-2009, 12:41 PM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Quick bump on this one. Been a hot topic recently, so wanted people to have some direct access to a grassroots DIY write up! Thanks NAM!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I will use this in conjunction with the Alta instructions

Old 07-28-2009, 06:04 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
porthos: Great idea! Feel free to PM, e-mail or call me (or my staff) if you have any questions! Thanks again for choosing ALTA!

Old 03-28-2015, 08:54 AM
cguzz
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have suggestions of which front bumper clips to have on hand. Anyone sell a packaged set of spare clips. I'd like to have some on-hand and avoid scrambling around during or after the install.

Thanks