Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ebay intake install

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 04:04 PM
ypsetihw
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ebay intake install

Hi there everyone!

I have just started working on my friend's 02 Cooper S (R53) and I decided to join NAM and post as I've been reading on here extensively for a few weeks now. I have to say it is fun to work on something different. I'm a VW guy myself, and I find it amusing to work on these tiny supercharged engines. HOW DO THEY FIT ALL THAT STUFF IN THERE?!?!

anywho . . . we ordered an ebay intake for $25 and were able to install it today in about 10 mins. it came with a nicely mandrel bent, painted aluminum tube with a nipple for the PCV system, a coupler for the TB, a length of hose for the PCV connection, a decent mesh and foam open element filter, and several hose clamps.

the only diy aspect was getting the PCV hose from the VC to reach (took a bit of cut/splice action, we used the stock hose but added a few inches with the stock barb splice and a few inches of the provided hose). otherwise the install was straight forward, we just yanked the stock snorkel, TB hose, and upper half of the airbox and filter. the bottom half is integrated with the ECM plug shroud, so we opted to leave it in there as it protects the ECM connectors, and actually fit really well as a heat shield and helped hold the filter and intake in place.

because of the reduced plenum volume, it is a little more laggy when you first give it throttle from a stop, it kindof gulps the air in because the supercharger hits immediately. not a problem, just need to let the driver/car adjust. but when you're under load and pulling in the upper RPM range, it feels and sounds amazing, lots of supercharger whine, and noticeable improvement on the butt dyno in the upper range (4500rpm+). best $25 ever . . . no need to spend hundreds on a name brand - EBAY FTW!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:29 PM
ypsetihw
1st Gear
ebay intake install

Hi there everyone!

I have just started working on my friend's 02 Cooper S (R53) and I decided to join NAM and post as I've been reading on here extensively for a few weeks now. I have to say it is fun to work on something different. I'm a VW guy myself, and I find it amusing to work on these tiny supercharged engines. HOW DO THEY FIT ALL THAT STUFF IN THERE?!?!

anywho . . . we ordered an ebay intake for $25 and were able to install it today in about 10 mins. it came with a nicely mandrel bent, painted aluminum tube with a nipple for the PCV system, a coupler for the TB, a length of hose for the PCV connection, a decent mesh and foam open element filter, and several hose clamps.

the only diy aspect was getting the PCV hose from the VC to reach (took a bit of cut/splice action, we used the stock hose but added a few inches with the stock barb splice and a few inches of the provided hose). otherwise the install was straight forward, we just yanked the stock snorkel, TB hose, and upper half of the airbox and filter. the bottom half is integrated with the ECM plug shroud, so we opted to leave it in there as it protects the ECM connectors, and actually fit really well as a heat shield and helped hold the filter and intake in place.

because of the reduced plenum volume, it is a little more laggy when you first give it throttle from a stop, it kindof gulps the air in because the supercharger hits immediately. not a problem, just need to let the driver/car adjust. but when you're under load and pulling in the upper RPM range, it feels and sounds amazing, lots of supercharger whine, and noticeable improvement on the butt dyno in the upper range (4500rpm+). best $25 ever . . . no need to spend hundreds on a name brand - EBAY FTW!

Old 05-14-2010, 05:49 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the same thing, took some other NAM member's advice and altered/built and airbox for it. I would just use some sheet metal and build a box for it to keep the heat out. Cut a hold for the tube to fit through, and put weather stipping on the top so it meet's the bonnet. Just a thought!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ew-intake.html

Old 05-14-2010, 09:19 PM
ypsetihw
1st Gear
I understand why you might wanna build a heat shield, but given that the rest of the motor is stock on a stock tune, the benefits of adding the intake, if any at all, have already been realized.

the air passes through a supercharger and gets heated anyway, and a bigger or more effienent intercooler is the only way to effectively and efficiently lower intake temps significantly, not an intake sheild. I doubt you could show an significant drop in IATs if you logged it with and without the sheild. just my $.02 . . .

given that it was only $25 and it took 10 mins, it just seems like the time money and effort required to fab a heat shield is unnessecary.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:55 AM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
A stock air box is closed all the way and sealed with a flat filter in it. The Airbox I have intakes cold air from the from inlet tube and also from the inserts on the rear of the bonnet because the back of my airbox is open only allowing cold air to come in from the rear and front. The hot air from the engine definitely makes a difference. Ordered a scangauge, I will do some test when it gets here. Either way, I see what you are trying to get at. Probably doesn't affect it THAT much but I'm sure it could help. And a piece of sheet metal from Home Depot cost like 8 bucks and it's pretty easy to work with. It was just a tip, I agree though, probably not a necessity but couldn't hurt to have! Looks good though!! Did you not use the bracket to hold the filter up?

Old 05-15-2010, 10:14 AM
ypsetihw
1st Gear
I see, you left the snorkel, cool! we took ours out. just wanted to get as much crap as we could off of the thing.

I didn't even bother with the bracket because the angle of the filter kinda wedges into the bottom of the airbox, and the pipe coupler was so stiff that it didn't move AT ALL, so I thought the bracket might be unecessary. I don't have a bracket on my Jetta cone setup and it has been that way for 2 years without issue. if it vibrates off, we'll put the bracket on.

I suppose if the sheet metal is that cheap then it would make for a good weekend project - good call!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:01 AM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ypsetihw
I see, you left the snorkel, cool! we took ours out. just wanted to get as much crap as we could off of the thing.

I didn't even bother with the bracket because the angle of the filter kinda wedges into the bottom of the airbox, and the pipe coupler was so stiff that it didn't move AT ALL, so I thought the bracket might be unecessary. I don't have a bracket on my Jetta cone setup and it has been that way for 2 years without issue. if it vibrates off, we'll put the bracket on.

I suppose if the sheet metal is that cheap then it would make for a good weekend project - good call!
Yeah, the bracket honestly doesn't even make that much of a difference lol, it still flexes and I just put it there cause it came with it! Well I hope he likes the noise of the SC! It screams with this filter set up!!

Old 05-15-2010, 03:19 PM
ypsetihw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GumbyLara
Yeah, the bracket honestly doesn't even make that much of a difference lol, it still flexes and I just put it there cause it came with it! Well I hope he likes the noise of the SC! It screams with this filter set up!!
heck yeah it does, over 4k rpm it is SUPER loud, I love it. it has noticeably more scoot a higher RPMs too, much smoother airflow, although it bogs a little from a dead stop from the smaller plenum.

do you think resetting the ECM and allowing it to re-adapt would help?

Old 05-15-2010, 03:40 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Yeah, I reset my ECU just because the other day and I noticed it was a little smoother. May have been my mind thinking it but couldn't hurt!

Old 05-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good!!! Normally I criticize certain parts sold on eBay, but I know I bought an intake for my wife's Celica some years ago off eBay. It was an AEM knockoff and WOW, was the quality there. It was $60 versus the $260 price for the real thing. Good Luck with the modding.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:10 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Threads merged. Please do not cross post.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 PM
ypsetihw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MLPearson79
Threads merged. Please do not cross post.
sorry, accident, it was my first post on this forum and I was still trying to figure out the best place to put it

Old 05-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Put your intercooler cover back on, it is actually a functional part.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:44 PM
ypsetihw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
Put your intercooler cover back on, it is actually a functional part.
actually it is my friend's r53, he took off the intercooler cover and the corresponding duct on the hood, the tabs were broken and it was flopping around.

I assume the duct and cover just help funnel air through the IC core?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:06 PM
CMD141
1st Gear
Just installed this intake earlier, you do get what you pay for in a sense but it seems functional, 30 bucks for an intake isnt exactly a huge hit to the wallet..I noticed a little more pull around 5k, SC whine sounds good right around there too...not so loud to where it would get annoying. It fits just fine, only difference is I got a stainless steel intake tube and a black coupler. I'll have to give it some time, still kind of skeptical..

Old 05-25-2010, 04:36 AM
gear-head
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CMD141
...SC whine sounds good right around there too...not so loud to where it would get annoying...
Annoying SC whine ... not possible

Old 05-25-2010, 09:23 PM
CMD141
1st Gear
I agree, I'm aiming to sound like a screaming baby :D Ive read on other threads that some dont like certain intakes that produce alot of whine lol