Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Howerton Engineering Water/Meth Injection

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:35 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howerton Engineering Water/Meth Injection

I've been installing a Howerton Engineering Water/Meth kit over the last couple of weeks. It took so long because I ran into a little problem and had to send a couple of parts back. It seems that it was most likely my fault that I had a problem, but Jeff fixed the problem and replaced a sensor free of charge. He even offered to reimburse me for the shipping.

I have to say that Jeff at Howerton has provided me with the best customer service/tech support that I have ever received. Working with him to get this thing done has been a very pleasant experience. I must have called him 15 times last Sat. while I was doing the bulk of the install. He answered every time. He knows how to keep his customers happy. If there is one thing that I cannot stand, it's a company that doesn't answer the phone. You will not have that problem with Howerton.

The kit is all in now and I am officially spraying water/meth. I can't wait to have Jan tune it and see if it was all worth it!

Here's a few pics. There's not much to see actually once it's all installed. Most of it is behind the bulkhead panel and under the car (just a flow valve and wires). The pump is mounted in the trunk hidden inside the tank bracket. The control box is mounted on the back side of the panel under the steering column. I cut a piece of the foam off to put it there. It works nicely, as the wires come through the firewall right behind this area. I wish I had taken some install pics, but I just didn't want to waste the time doing it.

Here's the jet:

The tank bracket with the tank and pump mounted to it (I had to "modify" the rubber boot mat to use it):

The gauge (I cut up a gauge holder that I had, painted it cast grey, and put it all back together to get the gauges to sit at almost the same height):

And the wires going to the ECU

Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Ottoman_FD3S
3rd Gear
very clean and stealthy install I like it!

couple q's

Does the inside of ur car smell like a hospital now? i.e. can u spell the fumes?

is you kit the type where the pump triggers off and on, or the pump runs constantly and the solenoid opens and closes the nozzle?

is it boost controlled? mappable? any safety mechanisms? low level indicator?

thanks!

Old 05-03-2010, 03:10 AM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ottoman_FD3S
very clean and stealthy install I like it!

couple q's

Does the inside of ur car smell like a hospital now? i.e. can u spell the fumes?

is you kit the type where the pump triggers off and on, or the pump runs constantly and the solenoid opens and closes the nozzle?

is it boost controlled? mappable? any safety mechanisms? low level indicator?

thanks!
There is no smell inside the car.

The pump only runs when it is actually pumping the meth.

The system is run off the duty cycle of the fuel inj.

It has a low level indicator and failsafe. If the system fails, the waste gate opens and dumps boost pressure.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:13 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
Looking good! I looked into this recently and have been trying to find the best one for our cars. At what duty cycle/boost are you running into the pump switching on out of curiosity?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:19 AM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gilboyto
Looking good! I looked into this recently and have been trying to find the best one for our cars. At what duty cycle/boost are you running into the pump switching on out of curiosity?
The threshold is adjustable as far as when the pump comes on. I have mine set so that I can drive normally without spraying meth. When I step on it, it comes right on.

Here's the email adress to Howerton if you have any specific questions: info@howertonengineering.com Jeff's really good about answering emails.

Last edited by 09MellowJCW; 05-03-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:41 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
It will be interesting to see what sort of combustion changes there are with the meth...I wonder if this will allow Jan to re-tune a car to have more boost with seeing detremental effects?

Old 05-09-2010, 11:43 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
Yes Jan can re tune for it, but the ECU in the R56 will tune itself for the meth also. So you should see an immediate benefit . By tune itself I meant make that in a general way. Where most cars wont make internal corrections when you add meth, the R56 does.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:41 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
I had the panel off to make a couple of adjustments the other day. I took a pic of where I mounted the control board for those who may be interested.

I just cut the Styrofoam back on that side so it would fit. If you look at the other side you can see how far it used to go down. (it was the same on both sides before) It's mounted with some really tough Velcro.

It's a great spot IMO. It's relatively easy to get at for adjustments, and completely hidden with the panel put in place.

I'm getting a tune next week. I'll post the results after.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 PM
LASRGUY
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 09MellowJCW

I'm getting a tune next week. I'll post the results after.
I'm thinking about getting this same kit. How are you liking it after living with it for a while? Did you ever get the tune and any dyno results?
Dave

Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He traded in his car and has not posted on NAM since. Doubt you will be getting an answer. Sorry.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the R53 kit from Howerton engineering and love it!!!! I've his kit for some time. It is without a dought the best kit for the mini. Jeff doesn't focus on selling to the MIni community that much these days as his business in the BMW,Subi, and EVO community has become huge.

Give him a call. He knows more about meth kits then anyone. What ever you do don't listen to the "Internet" experts. Call the expert

Longboard.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LASRGUY
I'm thinking about getting this same kit. How are you liking it after living with it for a while? Did you ever get the tune and any dyno results?
Dave
it picked up over 20hp with it