Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain I abso-FREAKN'-lutely love my new DoS intake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:46 PM
scottmd
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mellanor
An early problem with the GEN2 MINIs was that excessive turbo heat was warping/melting the largely non-functional hood scoop. MINI has apparently fixed this in builds starting in March 2010 by using a "metalized" scoop.
Rats...I have a February build date...

Old 05-26-2010, 07:04 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by scottmd
Rats...I have a February build date...
Get the M7 heat-shield if you're worried. It makes a big difference with the heat blanket on the other side.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:27 AM
scottmd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 09MellowJCW
Get the M7 heat-shield if you're worried. It makes a big difference with the heat blanket on the other side.
Yeah good tip...I have been checking those out online.

I guess one other approach is not to worry at the moment and see if it warps. I'm guessing if they do have to replace it I would get one of the new versions that is less likely to warp again.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:12 AM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
8 pages of posts.
It looks cool. I agree.
It is very noisy. I believe everyone.
Some issues on a catch chat I do nit understand.

But any objective, i.e dyno strips on performance, emissions, fuel economic, winter and wet issues. I can live with a bit of noise, but I want something for it. I wonder if I should not just buy the works kit.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Short Wait
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally got around to ordering the baffled version of the DOS intake a few days ago. Hope it's been shipped, got other goodies to install after it's on.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:11 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by etalj
half-way through installing a DOS CAI on my brother's new JCW.
Finished this off last week.

Looks and sounds amazing. Brother is still breaking in his car, so no butt dyno plots yet

Old 06-03-2010, 12:08 AM
aaronvb
2nd Gear
Just out of curiosity, and because I don't know much about cars, what is the purpose of the Front Air Intake?

I noticed it's just an inlet from the grill area that seems to push air onto the cone. But for what reason is it needed if the air is being sucked, using the DoS CAI, from the area between the bulkhead and the firewall, which is supposed to be the "cold air"?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by aaronvb
Just out of curiosity, and because I don't know much about cars, what is the purpose of the Front Air Intake?

I noticed it's just an inlet from the grill area that seems to push air onto the cone. But for what reason is it needed if the air is being sucked, using the DoS CAI, from the area between the bulkhead and the firewall, which is supposed to be the "cold air"?
The DoS CAI pulls from two air feed sources. However, the vent area at the windshield is very effective at providing more cold air at speed. ~= 45 mph, the zone between the hood and the windshield becomes a high pressure zone and the area behind the bulkhead itself becomes pressurized via the vents in the apron panels.

The factory air inlet is well placed and sits in an area of relatively high pressure when your MINI is in motion. There's no sense in eliminating the factory air inlet because it aids in feeding the CAI cone -- especially at speeds below 45 mph.

-Clint

Old 06-04-2010, 01:51 PM
aaronvb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
The DoS CAI pulls from two air feed sources. However, the vent area at the windshield is very effective at providing more cold air at speed. ~= 45 mph, the zone between the hood and the windshield becomes a high pressure zone and the area behind the bulkhead itself becomes pressurized via the vents in the apron panels.

The factory air inlet is well placed and sits in an area of relatively high pressure when your MINI is in motion. There's no sense in eliminating the factory air inlet because it aids in feeding the CAI cone -- especially at speeds below 45 mph.

-Clint
Awesome, thanks for the info Clint! That answered everything for me.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:38 PM
miniminn
2nd Gear
Should I take it off for service?

I have to go back to service for a service issue. Should I take it off? Will I suffer, say if something with the Turbo is wrong, or engine? My brake light is on and I need to go and have it checked out.

What is your advice?
PS: THere is a WHOLE in the bulkhead though! Not planning on buying another one.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:41 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
When I had mine and I had to go for service I removed it and placed Black duct tape over the whole. Who knows if it was worth it or not??

Old 06-07-2010, 06:47 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not be honest? If they ask tell them. Its not against the law to install aftermarket products. The dealer would have to prove that your aftermarket product caused a problem.

I have tons of mods. Look at my signature. I do not get any grief from the dealer when I bring my car in for routine service.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:01 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with onefish2, dont worry about the dealer. They arent going to freak if you come in there with an intake.

HAHA i cant wait to see the look on my new service managers face when i show up with my car for the first time.

Gotta remember to reflash the ecu back to stock and i'm golden. If my mods cause a problem, then oh well. Gotta assume something may break eventually.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:15 PM
DEHawk
2nd Gear
I must have done something wrong because it feels like I have lost power after installing the DOS CAI. Before I installed the DOS CAI my Mini would just launch off the line and keep pulling until the rev limiter kicked in.
Now does not launch nearly as good and when I hit about 4000 RPM the engine feels like it is starving for air. Plus it rarely max's out at red line in any gear. The stretch of road I live on I used to be able to hit about 123mph now only get to about 100 and never get above 5th gear.
You can feel the pull of the engine drop in any gear at and above 4000rpm.

So any clues? Hints, ideas as to what or why this is happening. I have checked and rechecked the installation and everything is back where it should be and plugged in.

I have a 2007 MCS with an ALTA downpipe and exhaust.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by DEHawk
I must have done something wrong because it feels like I have lost power after installing the DOS CAI. Before I installed the DOS CAI my Mini would just launch off the line and keep pulling until the rev limiter kicked in.
Now does not launch nearly as good and when I hit about 4000 RPM the engine feels like it is starving for air. Plus it rarely max's out at red line in any gear. The stretch of road I live on I used to be able to hit about 123mph now only get to about 100 and never get above 5th gear.
You can feel the pull of the engine drop in any gear at and above 4000rpm.

So any clues? Hints, ideas as to what or why this is happening. I have checked and rechecked the installation and everything is back where it should be and plugged in.

I have a 2007 MCS with an ALTA downpipe and exhaust.
Hi,

I think that we chatted about this on the phone today. Did you check the items that we discussed during our conversation? This issue could be related to the noisemaker delete kit installation instead of the CAI installation.

It sounds like you have a boost leak somewhere in the air inlet path after the turbo. I would check all the hose clamp connections and hoses, especially those at the noisemaker tee.

While you're doing the hose clamp checks. Take care to see if you stripped or overtightened any of the hose clamps during the noisemaker delete kit installation. A stripped hose clamp is a sure fire way to a boost leak.

-Clint

Old 07-30-2010, 09:41 PM
DEHawk
2nd Gear
Well Clint was right there was a slight installation issue from the the installer (ME). My issue was the inlet tube from the grill to the bottom part of the CAI.
At the grill end the tube was disconnecting and leaving a gap thus causing air not to enter hose at full capacity. Fixed with a little duct tape plus as a pre-caution put some duct tape on other parts where the hoses connect. FYI I would recommended this for the grill hose, not that it is necessary but better safe than disappointed. For all of us hat have added a aftermarket CAI we have found out that grill hose is odd shaped (at least mine is) and is not a great fit, (square peg round hole). I used black Gorilla duct tape so it is hardly noticeable.
I also want to thank Clint, what a true professional and man of his word, he fully willing to refund me my money back, this after I just got around to installing it after I bought it over 2 months ago. But I am glad he walked me though all of the check points and never would have found it until I re-installed my original JCW CAI and still had the same issue which made me check everything again.
So I would defiantly suggest DOS CAI, it does make a difference, especially on the low end.

Thanks Clint sorry for being a pain in the ***.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:25 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
DEHawk,

No big deal. I was glad to help.

It was good to chat and email with you to get things completely A-OK.

Unless its an emergency or temporary repair, I dislike duct tape with the white hot intensity of 1000 suns. (You may have detected that in my emails).
However, if you are happy and everything looks fantastic, then I will shut my big yapper.

Have a great weekend.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Put my DoS CAI on 2wks ago and am lovin' it! Mine has the butterfly valve to reduce intake noise and it works very well as long as I keep my foot out of it. HA! Throttle response feels better and with windows down I can hear the by-pass valve pop on every up/down shift. Neat! Speaking of neat, Clint told me where to get wide band spring clamps for my repositioned OCC system (McMaster-Carr.com). Really cleaned up the install a lot and I no longer have to worry about slashing my wrists when reaching around in there, LOL. The DoS CAI is the perfect match for my new Helix FMIC!

Last edited by Dwight Walhood; 09-23-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:38 PM
doccao
Neutral
Out of Stock

Just ordered mine tonight...but was a bit bummed out to find that the actual checkout price was $339.95 (website states $317) and "Out of Stock."

Anyways, not complaining- just looking forward to installing it (I'm sure it's well worth the wait)

Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by doccao
Just ordered mine tonight...but was a bit bummed out to find that the actual checkout price was $339.95 (website states $317) and "Out of Stock."

Anyways, not complaining- just looking forward to installing it (I'm sure it's well worth the wait)
Hi doccao,

Because you're a CA resident, we (unfortunately) need to charge you sales tax (San Francisco = 9.25%. Apologies for that, we don't like it either.) With shipping and tax, it comes out to $339.95. You can find more details in the payment portion of the DoS website.

Just so you're in the loop. we'll be shipping more R55, R56, R57 MCS & JCW CAI's tomorrow. Yours will go out in that batch.

-Clint

Old 09-01-2010, 11:59 AM
doccao
Neutral
Thanks Clint I've never been so excited to receive a CAI.