Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain I abso-FREAKN'-lutely love my new DoS intake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onefish2
I am sure that I have read posts here on NAM where people have described swapping the stock S turbo inlet tube for the JCW turbo inlet tube. This has to be similar to swapping the stock S cat back exhaust with a JCW cat back exhaust.
It's a much more simple mod than exhaust work, we just want to guarantee fitment.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 PM
ej827
2nd Gear
Does this triger a check engine light?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:52 PM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ej827
Does this triger a check engine light?
Nope

Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 AM
phlash
4th Gear
OK, So I'm about to pull the trigger on this.....updates on the JCW T clamp test?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by phlash
OK, So I'm about to pull the trigger on this.....updates on the JCW T clamp test?
On chatting w/Tim, it looks like the hose completely sliding off the turbo inlet anomaly is limited to his car. However, I'm still sending him a clamp to try out today.

DoS is recommending that folks take some denatured alcohol or brake cleaner and clean-off the outside of the turbo inlet and the inside of their 'S' or JCW inlet hose if this slipping issue occurs to you. It should allow the hose to get a better purchase on the turbo by removing surface oils.

-Clint

Last edited by Mini'mon; 04-06-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added cleaning notes.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:43 PM
ej827
2nd Gear
I ordered my DOS CAI today. I can't wait to receive it.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:07 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
I got the clamp in the mail today. I put it on and it seems to be doing the it's job nicely.

Thank you Clint for being a stand up guy and taking the time to help me figure this thing out.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second before buying more parts from you. Great customer service to back a great product.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 09MellowJCW
I got the clamp in the mail today. I put it on and it seems to be doing the it's job nicely.

So which R56 JCW owners would like a mini-t-bolt clamp for their turbo inlet/intake hose? (Please drop me a PM so as not to hijack Tim's thread.)

As I mentioned to Tim in the emails that we exchanged, I'll need any JCW owners who want a clamp to do the following before installing the clamp.

Clean these areas with brake cleaner or denatured alcohol:

1) Turbo inlet hose barb (aluminum barb coming off the turbo)
2) Turbo inlet hose grommet (remove this from the turbo inlet tube and clean both sides if the grommet
3) Inside of turbo inlet tube (clean mating surfaces for turbo inlet hose grommet)

Thanks again to Tim and Elie for helping me to fix this issue ASAP.

Best,

-Clint

Last edited by Mini'mon; 04-13-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: forgot the word 'like' after the word "would"
Old 04-09-2010, 08:37 AM
spinned
4th Gear
So... I still don't understand what the "catch can" thing is at the start of this thread. Do you need that thing with the DoS CAI?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:07 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Originally Posted by spinned
So... I still don't understand what the "catch can" thing is at the start of this thread. Do you need that thing with the DoS CAI?
The catch-can is not associated with the DoS CAI directly. The two are discussed in conjunction as the mounting location of the DoS CAI precludes mounting the catch can on the firewall on the driver's side of the engine bay. There are other options for mounting the catch can.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by spinned
Yup, the catch can has nothing to do with the CAI, but it's an affordable piece of insurance for direct injection engines. It aids in preventing carbon buildup on the valves by snagging water vapor and oil blowby vapor in the catch can.

BSH makes a great catch can, but there are others available.

Seafoam has been a popular option for this carbon buildup issue, but it is not rated as sensor safe. I would not use it. Chad at Detroit Tuned located a sensor-safe treatment called BG 44K that has the same benfits of Seafoam w/o the sensor issues. These treatments remove any vapor or spent oil (carbon) that makes it past the can and gets deposited on the valves.

You can check out more about this on episode #330 of White Roof Radio.

Last edited by Mini'mon; 04-09-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Seafoam clarification.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:51 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
It's a much more simple mod than exhaust work, we just want to guarantee fitment.

Any news?

Old 04-11-2010, 02:41 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
I had to go on a 250 mile trip today. The clamp performed flawlessly. Thanks again Clint.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
RE: Using the R56 JCW Inlet Tube on a non-JCW R56 MCS

Originally Posted by clnconcpts
Any news?
Although the non-JCW R56 MCS turbo inlet is indeed just slightly smaller, The R56 JCW turbo filtered air inlet tube will fit the non-JCW R56 MCS!

If you'd like to use this part on your R56, we STRONGLY recommend that you:

A) Clean these areas with brake cleaner or denatured alcohol:

2) Turbo inlet hose grommet (remove this from the turbo inlet tube and clean both sides of the grommet
3) Inside of turbo inlet tube (clean mating surfaces for turbo inlet hose grommet

B) Use a special narrow mini-t-bolt hose clamp (available from DoS) to attach the JCW filtered air inlet tube to the turbo. This special hose clamp is recommended whether you install the DoS CAI or are running the factory airbox. It can generate significantly greater holding force than the factory clamp to keep everything neatly in place for this mod.

Last edited by Mini'mon; 05-14-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added more instructions.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:16 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini'mon

So what R56 JCW owners would a mini-t-bolt clamp for their turbo inlet/intake hose? (Please drop me a PM so as not to hijack Tim's thread.)

As I mentioned to Tim in the emails that we exchanged, I'll need any JCW owners who want a clamp to do the following before installing the clamp.

Clean these areas with brake cleaner or denatured alcohol:

2) Turbo inlet hose grommet (remove this from the turbo inlet tube and clean both sides if the grommet
3) Inside of turbo inlet tube (clean mating surfaces for turbo inlet hose grommet)

Thanks again to Tim and Elie for helping me to fix this issue ASAP.

Best,

-Clint
Anytime buddy, anything you need

Old 04-13-2010, 10:09 PM
ej827
2nd Gear
I just installed my DOS CAI. It sounds AMAZIN!!! I love it. Best sounding CAI that I ever owned. Thanks Clint for the tip on taking off the front air inlet elbow.
If anyone is looking to buy a CAI for their Mini. Look no further. This is it. Highly recomended. Very happy with it.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:11 AM
phlash
4th Gear
Clint,

I'm impressed with your constant feedback and posts. So, I just pulled the trigger on this along with a the saw loaner and a delete kit. Please send me the upgraded clamp for the JCW's. Please, please, please get this on a truck to me ASAP! Would love to have it to install it this weekend. Thanks in advance!! Can't wait!

G

Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 AM
ndylam
3rd Gear
Clint, what is the size of the narrow mini-t-bolt hose clam if you can't send me one ?

Old 04-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ndylam
Clint, what is the size of the narrow mini-t-bolt hose clam if you can't send me one ?
The clamps are about 2.22" (56.5mm) in diameter. The band is a little under 3/8" wide (about 9mm width). Unfortunately the clamps are on backorder with our supplier and we expect a new order in 1-to-2 weeks.

I'll be creating a new 'JCW intake kit' listing to the DoS site that includes this clamp for the JCW turbo inlet tube. The clamp will add a few bucks to the cost of the JCW intake kit, but the clamp is small, mighty & holds amazingly well.

All existing DoS customers with JCW's will get the clamp for free provided that they request it.

Any R56 'S' customers that do the JCW intake tube mod can buy the clamp from DoS for $7.00 + shipping.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:21 AM
phlash
4th Gear
Thanks for the quick response Clint............

Can't wait!

Old 04-15-2010, 02:18 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Check out the short video that I took today.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:30 PM
ndylam
3rd Gear

Very nice video
I think I saw you flying down on Palisades ParkWay the other day

Old 04-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor

Cool. That sound between shifts is definitely different, but definitely not scary or unpleasant. (I'm sure that the torque and Hp gains from that event at Helix are definitely not unpleasant either.)

Old 04-15-2010, 03:42 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
I will shoot another video later today or tomorrow and post it in this thread but this time I will start from first gear and then accelerate so you can hear the full range of "music" as I row through the gears.

That flutter during the turbo blow off definitely takes some getting used to but then again it took a while to get used to the turbo sounds when I removed the stock air box in the first place.

Like I said in the video, Jan acquired that manipulation of the blow of valve from the MINI Challenge car. It would have been nice post tune to say this is what I did to your car, this is what it will feel and sound like. Rather than me running around trying to figure out what that crazy sound is. He did do some of those things but it was crazy at Helix that day and I needed to jet outta there and head up to Boston for business.

Clint, you make a great product and its nice to see you post regularly on NAM. You are a real stand up guy. I defiantly enjoyed our phone conversation last Saturday. We really should talk again soon and get Tim on too.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:03 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want that flutter!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain I abso-FREAKN'-lutely love my new DoS intake!!!