Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain I abso-FREAKN'-lutely love my new DoS intake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I attended AMVIV this year, and got the opprotunity to meet Clint, and I can say he seems like a guy who would back his work 100%. This will be the intake to get, once I get some other things out of the way. Also, seeing the intake itself, I can say it seems very well built and sturdy.

It was a pleasure to meet you Clint, and I look forward to owning a DoS intake (although it may be a while away).

-Bradley

Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 AM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sketch
I attended AMVIV this year, and got the opprotunity to meet Clint, and I can say he seems like a guy who would back his work 100%. This will be the intake to get, once I get some other things out of the way. Also, seeing the intake itself, I can say it seems very well built and sturdy.

It was a pleasure to meet you Clint, and I look forward to owning a DoS intake (although it may be a while away).

-Bradley
I too have found Clint great to deal with. I'm sure he will take care of this problem quickly. I wasn't looking to get anything from Clint. I'm actually quite happy with my fix. I can tell you though, that he PM'd me right away promising a fix soon. He really does seem like a good honest vendor/guy.

I don't even know if there is a problem to be honest. I was just posting to see if anyone else using the JCW inlet pipe has had the same problem. I have now installed two and they both seem to have the same issue going on. Who knows? maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I know that most of these intakes are, most likely, sold to S owners. Simply because of the fact that there are more S's out there. Due to the fact that this is the first I've seen/heard of this, I can only assume that the S pipe does not have this issue.

I still really like my intake. Sounds great, looks great, and best of all, it really is a "CAI"

Now I'm just waiting to see if I can afford the DoS intercooler

Old 03-30-2010, 09:51 AM
BradM
1st Gear
I just ordered the DoS CAI yesterday after reading the excellent reports and happy owner's of this product. I know I will like it.

Brad

Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Well, I just saw Steve today. His JCW hose is staying on. It has moved over about a quarter inch or so, but it does seem to be staying on all the same.

Maybe my car is just an anomally, I don't know... Seems like I'm the only one having this problem. I put his on exaactly the same as mine.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:41 PM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, I'm guessing you don't abso-FREAKN'-lutely love your new DoS intake? HAHA jk. I'm sure it will get solved!

Old 03-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 09MellowJCW
Well, I just saw Steve today. His JCW hose is staying on. It has moved over about a quarter inch or so, but it does seem to be staying on all the same.

Maybe my car is just an anomally, I don't know... Seems like I'm the only one having this problem. I put his on exaactly the same as mine.
Originally Posted by J_'09s
So, I'm guessing you don't abso-FREAKN'-lutely love your new DoS intake? HAHA jk. I'm sure it will get solved!
Since DoS does not have a JCW available this week, I emailed a customer who corresponds with me regularly, Elie (etalj on NAM), so he could grab the OD of the inlet pipe clamp area for us. It's about 2.22" (56.5mm) in diameter for those who are interested.

I've sourced a clamp for Tim's inlet pipe anomaly that he can try out. It's a a special, narrow T-bolt clamp that can apply holding force much better than the clamps he used previously. It also fits into the existing stock clamp groove.

Our internal guess at DoS is that the hose clamps used were made so tight in both cases that they stripped or were on the verge of stripping (we've done it ourselves and unfortunately it happens). Also, the clamp material on a standard hose clamp is very thin and flexible. In any case, the new clamp should fit the bill for anyone with this problem because it can clamp with more equal force all around the hose w/o destroying the hose itself.

To be up-front, we've had no complaints on this front from other customers, but if the hose movement really bothers folks or becomes a bigger issue, we can just have these clamps in stock and ship them off as needed.

Tim, I'll ship a clamp off to you as soon as they arrive.

-Clint

Old 03-31-2010, 01:57 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by J_'09s
Actually, I do. I'm sure the T-bolt clamp will do the trick. I didn't think you could get them that narrow.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:08 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
Since DoS does not have a JCW available this week, I emailed a customer who corresponds with me regularly, Elie (etalj on NAM), so he could grab the OD of the inlet pipe clamp area for us. It's about 2.22" (56.5mm) in diameter for those who are interested.

I've sourced a clamp for Tim's inlet pipe anomaly that he can try out. It's a a special, narrow T-bolt clamp that can apply holding force much better than the clamps he used previously. It also fits into the existing stock clamp groove.

Our internal guess at DoS is that the hose clamps used were made so tight in both cases that they stripped or were on the verge of stripping (we've done it ourselves and unfortunately it happens). Also, the clamp material on a standard hose clamp is very thin and flexible. In any case, the new clamp should fit the bill for anyone with this problem because it can clamp with more equal force all around the hose w/o destroying the hose itself.

To be up-front, we've had no complaints on this front from other customers, but if the hose movement really bothers folks or becomes a bigger issue, we can just have these clamps in stock and ship them off as needed.

Tim, I'll ship a clamp off to you as soon as they arrive.

-Clint
Thanks Clint.

I know I eventually stripped the first one. The second wasn't working at first because it didn't fit in the grooves. When I removed the nubs it went from bad to worse, . I guess that's why they are there... I couldn't find a T-bolt clamp that narrow or I would have tried that.

In retrospect I should have just sent you an email Clint. I was not posting to complain about the product. I was just wondering if anybody else was having the same problem, and offering a simple solution if they were.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Thanks Clint.

I know I eventually stripped the first one. The second wasn't working at first because it didn't fit in the grooves. When I removed the nubs it went from bad to worse, . I guess that's why they are there... I couldn't find a T-bolt clamp that narrow or I would have tried that.

In retrospect I should have just sent you an email Clint. I was not posting to complain about the product. I was just wondering if anybody else was having the same problem, and offering a simple solution if they were.
The clamp samples were shipped out to DoS yesterday from our distributor. I'll be installing one on a customer's car as a reality check before I send the other one off to you, Tim. You will be the second reality check/'beta tester.'

If everything checks out, we should be in business to fix this hiccup on your car. If this works as well as hoped, our JCW customers should email me for their complimentary intake hose clamp.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:29 AM
OH REALLY
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OH REALLY
i love this dos air intake and i have a service due at the mini dealer do you think i should swith it out so they dont see it?

bump

Old 04-02-2010, 07:50 AM
phlash
4th Gear
Question for 09Mellow.....that's not the stock intake tube coming off the turbo.....My JCW tube looks like the one on the DOS website....who's tube is it? It make's the install very clean......

Old 04-02-2010, 09:23 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
No problem Steve, it was my pleasure. Just glad I could help. Thank you for the M7 strut brace!

I have run into a problem with my DoS intake. My factory JCW turbo inlet hose would not stay on the turbo. Has anyone else with a JCW had this problem? It didn't matter how tight the clamp was (I actually tightened one up so much that it stripped) it would simply work it's way back off the turbo. After trying to adjust the angle of the
new intake several times, I finally came up with a solution.

The problem was that the new intake puts the factory hose more to the right (looking at the engine) than the factory intake. This pulls the inlet tube in that direction. Eventually it will almost come off. Last night it slid off just sitting in the drive overnight. I had been checking it repeatedly, so it never came all the way off.
I had a similar problem with my MCS (non-JCW). It turned out to be some oil on the OD of the turbo inlet acting as a lubricant. IPA cleaned it off of both the turbo inlet and the air intake tube (ID). It's been solid ever since.

Hopefully the BSH catchcan I picked up at AMVIV will ensure it never happens again.

So...any updates on the DOS announcement or should I go ahead and put my catchcan on the passenger side firewall?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:27 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Originally Posted by OH REALLY
i love this dos air intake and i have a service due at the mini dealer do you think i should swith it out so they dont see it?
This is really a personal decision. The dealer did not say a thing about my Alta CAI when it was in this week for a cold start rattle of death (TM) and an oil change. But I'm sure it's noted and logged in their records now. Especially since I'm still under "warranty".

Now, to save up $$ for the DoS intake.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by OPC
. . .

So...any updates on the DOS announcement or should I go ahead and put my catchcan on the passenger side firewall?
Yessir!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3020237

Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by phlash
Question for 09Mellow.....that's not the stock intake tube coming off the turbo.....My JCW tube looks like the one on the DOS website....who's tube is it? It make's the install very clean......
That is the stock JCW turbo inlet tube. I have the same one. Take a look at this picture:

Old 04-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Cleanest engine bay in the entire state of New York! Top notch!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:36 PM
phlash
4th Gear
OK, that bothers me.......gonna have to inquire with my dealer.....

Originally Posted by onefish2
That is the stock JCW turbo inlet tube. I have the same one. Take a look at this picture:

Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 AM
BradM
1st Gear
I installed my DoS CAI yesterday and it was a very easy installation. The sound is great and am very happy I changed from the other CAI that I had.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:00 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
I bet a dealership employe swapped it with the one from his cooper S. That sucks but its kind of funny.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by chakraj
I bet a dealership employe swapped it with the one from his cooper S. That sucks but its kind of funny.
Hopefully dealership's have not resorted to outright stealing just yet and they'll just stick to things like undercoating, embroidered floor mats, and Rusty Jones.

As for the tube -- It depends on whether or not it's a factory JCW or a JCW Kit. Factory '09 + JCW's have the tube. Some of the '07's & '08's with the JCW dealership installed kit still have the stock Cooper S intake tube.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 AM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Clint,Have you determined if this JcW intake tube fits on just an S version,yet? I'd like to add this tube to your CAI.Looks much cleaner then my factory one.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:33 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
I wouldn't think it was the dealership. But I have been working at dealerships for over 20 years and it would not surprise me if an individual employe did it.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by clnconcpts
Clint,Have you determined if this JcW intake tube fits on just an S version,yet? I'd like to add this tube to your CAI.Looks much cleaner then my factory one.
The JCW tube finally shipped out from our distributor on Friday. Apologies for the delay. We should be able to test-fit it by later this week.

-Clint

Old 04-03-2010, 11:59 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
Cleanest engine bay in the entire state of New York! Top notch!
Thanks. I try .

Old 04-03-2010, 12:03 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by clnconcpts
I am sure that I have read posts here on NAM where people have described swapping the stock S turbo inlet tube for the JCW turbo inlet tube. This has to be similar to swapping the stock S cat back exhaust with a JCW cat back exhaust.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain I abso-FREAKN'-lutely love my new DoS intake!!!