Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain OBX catless downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Alwyn
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh lord... I found it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ql2x...watch_response

Well, I made up my mind... Haha! I do need to get the o2sim, when that starts working actually

Old 04-19-2010, 05:55 PM
dj.papazian
3rd Gear
haha yah thats it. personally i think it sounds beastly (in a good way!)

my dp should arrive here on monday so i'll try getting it installed by the end of next week and then take some vids for ya'll!

Old 04-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Alwyn
2nd Gear
Although, reading the info about the setup that guy is running I don't think he runs an jcw mid section...

It's an obx downpipe, running some sort of mid section (self made?) and the JCW back section! Ahh well, I'll figure something out! As long as it sounds like that vid...

Looking forward to your vids dj.papazian!

Old 04-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Alwyn
2nd Gear
because we are talking about downpipes anyway... I found one I kinda like more than the OBX I think, haha...

Old 04-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Alwyn
2nd Gear
another view...

Last edited by Alwyn; 04-20-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:15 PM
dj.papazian
3rd Gear
lol wow what the heck is that and where did u find it!? hahaah...
but yah im sure once u install the dp it will sound very similar to the one in the video!

Old 04-20-2010, 02:39 AM
Ottoman_FD3S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Alwyn
Oh lord... I found it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ql2x...watch_response

Well, I made up my mind... Haha! I do need to get the o2sim, when that starts working actually

isn't that an R53?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:47 AM
Alwyn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ottoman_FD3S
isn't that an R53?
I hope not, because man I'm in love with that sound! Haha...

Looking into the exhaustpipes right now, and is there anyone here that knows the pipe diameter from the JCW pipe sections? As OBX and Supersprint say 60mm will fit to OEM, but I remember reading about the 55mm clamp with the JCW's on RealOEM...

I tried ordering a mini challenge exhaust yesterday, but was asked car documents and ID... that would have been so ridiculously sexy!!

Old 04-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Alwyn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dj.papazian
lol wow what the heck is that and where did u find it!? hahaah...
Well I found it on the supersprint North America site in the project car section... It says it's for the new mini cooper S, but looking at it I think it's for the R53, as it would serioully go through our front bumber! haha...

Old 04-20-2010, 07:11 AM
dj.papazian
3rd Gear
haha yah definately. exhaust challenge pipes would be seriously a dream to have. they sound amazing butttttttttttttttttttttt.......

i can live with a JCW exhaust + catless dp =]

Old 04-21-2010, 02:21 AM
Ottoman_FD3S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Alwyn
I hope not, because man I'm in love with that sound! Haha...

actually my question was rhetorical :p

it is an R53 not a 56

Old 04-21-2010, 06:36 AM
Alwyn
2nd Gear
Haha, deep down I knew it was an R53... But still it sounds gooooood

Now let's try and make the R56 scream of joy :P

Old 04-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Alwyn
2nd Gear
A little bit off topic...

But does anyone here know if I can order a Stage 1 exhaust, front and rear muffler, separate from the tuning kit? Because I want to combine this with the catless downpipe, a DoS CAI and and RMW tune...!!

I would love just the jcw rear muffler and an open exhaust as a front muffler, but supersprint for example is 60mm while JCW is 55mm if I'm correct... (I hope not).

Help is appreciated!!

UPDATE

Haha, you guys prob. don't care but I found the solution!! Supersprint offers an adapter from 60 to 55 mm, so for the guys who want to go bad *** the way is cleared :D

Last edited by Alwyn; 04-21-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: found solution
Old 04-30-2010, 08:46 PM
dj.papazian
3rd Gear
UPDATE! alright guys, this morning i took my car to a friends custom exhaust shop and they did it up for me! they installed the OBX catless downpipe on my 09 JCW mini with factory jcw exhaust. as others have mentioned, the 2nd connecting piece of the OBX dp ended up being right in the middle of the resonator. The shop, for no cost, took out my resonator, and welded a small piece of piping from the 2nd connector piece to my exhaust.

SOUND: wow, this thing is loud. but thats what you get for going catless and without a resonator right? i love the tone, i feel like my mini has converted to the dark side and man, it just sounds ANGRY! it still purrs and growls just like the factory exhaust but its just much much louder. LOTS of backfire, especially in sport mode. the system seems to be a slight bit quieter without sport on. overall, im VERY happy with this downpipe and when i get sick of its loudness, i will most probably end up having a small resonator installed!

POWER: not a CRAZY amount of power, but you i can definately feel it on the butt dyno. the car seems a lot more free flowing when i step on the gas (obviously, its catless). hard to explain the feeling tho when all im hearing is the screaming of the exhaust!

i will try to get a video for you guys with some driveby's and revving as soon as i can! if you aren't sure which downpipe to get, its hard to go wrong with a 170$ shipped OBX from ebay.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Sabes
3rd Gear
Was there any cutting needed to take out the resonator? Or does the only thing that needs to be done in a shop is the welding of that fabricated connector? Is the downpipe now welded to the exhaust? Sorry for all the questions

Old 05-01-2010, 12:15 AM
dj.papazian
3rd Gear
the downpipe comes with a connector piece bolting on directly to the downpipe. this piece however (for the factory jcw exhaust) ends up in the middle of the resonator. SO, the original piping from the downpipe to the end of the resonator was taken off. there was still a small amount of space between the 2nd connector piece and the rear-end of the exhaust, so a small pipe was fit in between and welded from both sides to secure it.

most likely tho, because this downpipe was made for regular mini s exhausts, it should be able to fit without any welding.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:49 AM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
UPDATE! alright guys, this morning i took my car to a friends custom exhaust shop and they did it up for me! they installed the OBX catless downpipe on my 09 JCW mini with factory jcw exhaust. as others have mentioned, the 2nd connecting piece of the OBX dp ended up being right in the middle of the resonator. The shop, for no cost, took out my resonator, and welded a small piece of piping from the 2nd connector piece to my exhaust.

SOUND: wow, this thing is loud. but thats what you get for going catless and without a resonator right? i love the tone, i feel like my mini has converted to the dark side and man, it just sounds ANGRY! it still purrs and growls just like the factory exhaust but its just much much louder. LOTS of backfire, especially in sport mode. the system seems to be a slight bit quieter without sport on. overall, im VERY happy with this downpipe and when i get sick of its loudness, i will most probably end up having a small resonator installed!

POWER: not a CRAZY amount of power, but you i can definately feel it on the butt dyno. the car seems a lot more free flowing when i step on the gas (obviously, its catless). hard to explain the feeling tho when all im hearing is the screaming of the exhaust!

i will try to get a video for you guys with some driveby's and revving as soon as i can! if you aren't sure which downpipe to get, its hard to go wrong with a 170$ shipped OBX from ebay.
please please please, record a sound clip. Drive-by and sitting still.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Sabes
3rd Gear
So has anybody gotten the obx downpipe + catback? Does it delete the 2nd cat?

Also... i saw the obx catback says to have a piping diameter of 2.25" (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-C...#ht_2972wt_766)

Wouldn't this be too small and limit airflow/power?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:01 PM
dj.papazian
3rd Gear
i have been extremely busy this past week trying to juggle work with the studying of finals at my university, which are next week. once im completely done with my final exams, i will post a video for sure

Old 05-02-2010, 07:36 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
What kind of CEL do you get with one of these catless DP's? Is it just a light, or is there a loss of power that goes along with it?

I am getting an RMW tune at the end of May. If I'm going to do it, now is the time.

I can deal with a light, but if it is accompanied by a loss of power I don't want to do it.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:44 PM
dj.papazian
3rd Gear
absolutely no power loss....only power gain and a little annoying yellow CEL, not a big deal tho.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:53 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
absolutely no power loss....only power gain and a little annoying yellow CEL, not a big deal tho.
Cool, I thought that I read somewhere on here once that the CEL was accompanied by a loss of power. "limp mode". Has anyone experienced this with a catless DP?

Also, is the OBX DP a direct bolt up to the factory JCW catback or not?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:08 PM
dj.papazian
3rd Gear
if you read any of the posts earlier in this thread, you'll have read that the OBX dp is NOT a direct bolt-on the jcw catback, its made for the cooper S. however, its still possible to connect them (as i did) and it'll take an exhaust shop a very short amount of time to weld a small piece of pipe to connect them.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:16 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
if you read any of the posts earlier in this thread, you'll have read that the OBX dp is NOT a direct bolt-on the jcw catback, its made for the cooper S. however, its still possible to connect them (as i did) and it'll take an exhaust shop a very short amount of time to weld a small piece of pipe to connect them.
I actually read the entire thread twice before asking. I didn't see where anyone actually answered the question. I guess I missed it. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

I kind of figured from looking at the pics, that that was the case anyway. I need a direct fit, so I'll be able to easily put it back to stock for NJ emissions testing...

Old 05-02-2010, 08:18 PM
dj.papazian
3rd Gear
the 2nd connector piece is what needs to be welded to the catback. the downpipe is a direct bolt on to the secondary pipe so i dont see why you couldnt just bolt off the catless dp and then bolt on the stock dp for emissions testing. thats what im going to do, and i live in MA

Quick Reply: Drivetrain OBX catless downpipe?