Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain UUC Exhaust - FULL EVALUATION! (long!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 02:58 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered mine through Dan @ Pilo Racing. I had some trouble getting the exhaust from UUC. You can read about itHERE. Dan from Pilo Racing worked hard to help me get this exhaust. I will definitely buy from Dan again.

First the fit. I had this exhaust installed by a local shop where we've taken all of our non-MINI cars for the past few years. They are good guys and do a good job for reasonable rates. I would have had it installed at Helix in Philly but I wanted to keep my stock exhaust and this shop is around the block. I'll have Helix check it out and make sure everything is good and there are no leaks next time I go there.

Apparently, the welds on my UUC at least were not perfect. One of the welds was off a bit and it therefore didn't fit perfectly straight. This made part of the center tubing come in contact with the car. So the mechanic had to cut a peice of the hanger off. It then fit but it was still very close. He let me know that the exhaust may start to rattle from underneath.

The first rattle I had came from the right rear of the MINI. It was a higher RPM rattle. i took it back to the shop a day and a half later and it was cured. It turned out the rear right hanger was loose. Within a day or two the exhaust would rattle a bit at high RPMs and occasionally at idle when cold in the center like my mechanic warned me might happen. Over the next week, the rattle got bad - so bad that I started shifting at 4-4.5k, like it was still in the break-in period, b/c the rattle was so bad at higher RPMs. Finally it was rattling all of the time and I took it in again. A bigger chunk of the center hangar near the cat was taken out. It now seems perfect - there are no rattles whatsoever. Let's hope it stays that way.

This is my third performance mod. I installed the Madness intake at 10k miles. Then Helix installed their 15% pulley at 11k miles. I now have 28k miles.

I originally was going to stick with the stock exhaust. But i changed my mind. Here's what did it. At first I wanted a stealth MCS. I figured intake, pulley and ECU. No one would know the difference from the outside. But I got bored with that idea after a while. I also got bored with my MINI being pretty powerful yet fairly quiet. Also with more and more MINIs on the road and at MINI MEETS, I wanted my MINI to be more unique. So I thought an exhaust would be a good mod that would change the appearance AND sound. Finally, the more I read about engines and performance mods, etc..., the more I became convinced that with the mods I have added to increase air flow into the engine, increasing the air flow out would not only be a good thing for performance but possibly for longevity as well. So I bought the bullet and ordered the UUC. I justified the cost as follows. It improves THREE areas instead of one or two. It changes and improves the looks, power and sound. Also since it is one of the more expensive exhausts, it certainly won't be the most common.

Finally the UUC exhaust performance evaluation!

Sound
First let me state that it is loud. Not excessively loud, not obnoxiously loud, but it certainly is a loud exhaust. This is no Borla! If you're looking for a quiet or slightly louder than stock exhaust, let me tell you, this is not for you. The first few days with the UUC it is VERY LOUD. But it does quiet down quite a bit after about 4 to 5 days or several hundred miles.

Now being loud isn't necessarily a bad thing. And this is coming from someone who didn't want a loud exhaust. I was looking for something louder than the Borla b/c I want to hear my investment and I wanted as much power as possible. I also wanted it to look good. And I didn't want it to drone. So basically I crossed off the Borla Street due to a lack of power. I also crossed off the Borla Race for noise and the Magnaflow for noise and looks (don't like those trumpets). I also crossed off the NRP for lack of tips and possible lack of power. I also crossed off the quicksilver due to a number of reports that it is still a restrictive exhaust and probably isn't ideal on a MINI with a pulley.

Outside the car I've only heard it at idle. It sounds great! It's very deep and throaty. It sounds like a car to be taken seriously and no longer sounds like a small four cylinder. I think it gives the MCS respect - and a lot of it.

Revving the car sounds amazing. I absolutely love it. It really is great. In fact, I may go out after writing this and just rev it and/or take it for a spin. Today is my first full day with no rattles.

The exhaust is loud from the mid 2000's to about 3800 RPMs. From 3800 to 4000 RPMs it gets quiet rapidly. At 4000 RPMs it is suddenly very quiet. Not much louder than stock. Then at 5000 RPMs it comes alive again. This time, however, with a vengeance. It screams (in a very, very good way) all the way to redline. Accelerating is quite a thrill. Up to 4k RPMs you hear nothing but the exhaust. At 4k RPMs, the exhaust is suddenly quiet and your attention goes up front to the higher revving supercharger which is now very audible. Then magically at 5k RPMs the exhaust comes alive again yet the supercharger is still screaming louder than ever. So as you approach redline you hear a wonderful symphony of the screaming supercharger in front and the roaring UUC in back. It's out of this world!

Drone or no drone
is there a drone? Well, yes there is. Is it bad? No, not IMO. Like I mentioned, the exhaust is pretty loud from 2.5-4k RPMs. It's not like the Magnaflow which in my opinion sounds great at idle but is too loud at most RPMs and speeds. Unlike the Magnaflow, the UUC is only loud at medium to heavy throttle. So when you get on it, it's loud, but it should be. The problem is when you're just cruising. Now cruising on the highway in 6th gear is not a whole lot louder than stock. There isn't really a drone under light throttle. So maintaining your speed on the highway on a straightaway is pretty quiet. Going down a hill is really quiet. The only problem is when you go up a hill in the 2.5-4k RPM range. Then the exhaust is louder and there is a definite resonance in the cabin. This also happens if you're cruising on the highway in 6th gear and want to pass someone. One of the great things about the pulley is it gives you good passing power in 5th and 6th gear so you don't have to downshift. But now with the UUC exhaust, if you go up a steep hill or try to pass without downshifting the exhaust is pretty loud.

That however is really the only negative with regards to the sound. If I could make the exhaust perfect, I would quiet it a bit in the 2.5-4k RPM range. Everything else is perfect.

Is there a noticeable increase in power?
Definitely. Where? That I'm not sure about. It seems to feel different in every gear and every RPM versus the stock exhaust. So I'm still not positive where the power gains are and where some of the losses may be (if there are any). Here's what I've noticed.

The first few days it seems about the same as stock at higher RPMs and slower and sluggish at lower RPMs. I think this is the same with most exhausts. Don't expect an immediate power increase. Also I noticed a big drop in fuel economy the first few days. Apparently the ECU really has to adjust and it takes a hundred or a couple hundred of miles to do so. After a few days, in general, the lower RPMs feel like stock while the mid RPMs feel faster and the higher RPMs rock! Here's a breakdown of what I have noticed:

First Gear
First gear from a dead stop seems more responsive. Around 3.5k RPMs to redline my MINI definitely feels faster.

Second Gear and Third Gear
2nd and third gear seem to be faster from about 4.5k RPMs on up. As you approach redline you can feel there's just more and more horsepower and it keeps pulling harder and harder.

Fourth Gear
4th gear doesn't seem faster until about 5k RPMs or so. Then 5k to redline comes awfully fast considering the speeds you're moving at.

Fifth and Sixth Gear
I have not given the UUC a good run at high RPMs in 5th or 6th gear. But I will say that it is possible that low RPMs in 5th and 6th gear have lost a bit of power. Not much but there may be a slight loss. It also may just seem slower b/c there is a bit of a drone with heavy throttle at low RPMs in these gears. To me a drone feels like slow or no acceleration.

Worth the $$$?
That's for you to decide, not me. If you don't mind loud, is it really worth $200-275 more than the magnaflow? For me b/c of the looks, better sound, possibly more torque and less drone, you bet it is. Now if you like the Magnaflow, you're probably better off saving some dough and getting that. Now if the Alta, Milltek or NRP don't drone and are only mildly to moderately louder than stock while still making good power for less, they may be better choices for some.

Overall
I'm very happy with my UUC. I have no regrets. I've researched and followed every thread on exhaust for 18 months now. I didn't want a loud exhaust. But the UUC is definitely somewhat loud. But I like it. I really do. It gives the MINI such character. It no longer sounds electric or mini, er, small. It sounds like a serious, all business powerful sports car. And that's what my MCS means to me.

If you like the Magnaflow you should probably get it. It's a lot cheaper and the power is very similar with the Magnaflow a few up on HP and the UUC a few up on torque according to Randy Webb's testing. And if you want a quiet exhaust that won't drone any more than stock and doesn't attract attention, the UUC is not for you.

But if the magnaflow is too loud (or ugly) yet you want a power, sound and appearance upgrade this may be the exhaust for you. Maybe wait for more evals and opinions on the Alta, Milltek, and NRP. I talked to a number of people who purchased the NRP when it first came out and most didn't notice much of a power increase. I'd say if you don't really notice it, it's just not there. So for me, I think the only options were really the UUC, milltek and alta. I had read about the UUC in great anticipation for quite some time so when it was finally available, I went for it. And I love it.

Thanks for reading!

Old 11-06-2003, 03:02 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice write-up. :smile:

Old 11-06-2003, 03:40 PM
pc
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greatpro,
Excellent write up. I have the UUC exhaust and can agree with your acessment. The install was very simple fit and finish were excellent except for the center hanger /catback mount. There must be a problem with many if not all of the exhaust welds on the catback tube, the center hanger aligns slightly to the right causing the bracket to rub against the car body, generating a vibration. Unless UUC is willing to do something about it I will have to cut a piece of the hanger off as well. The drone at highway cruising speeds between 3 and 4 k rpm is a bit more than I like but can be managed with a little throttle control a little sound deadning inside may help as well. Aside from those two very minor complaints, I love the exhaust. The sound is unique and performance and power are nice. Your eval is right on

Old 11-06-2003, 03:42 PM
Darxar
4th Gear
Getting mine tomorrow, ScottG and I are installing at his house. its being overnighted from UUC. Runnng in Autox Sunday in Atlanta at
turner field. my first, im so excited that I will have the UUC in time for the event.

any tips or tricks you can post or pm me if you want. Great write up btw...

Old 11-06-2003, 03:47 PM
TomM
2nd Gear
Good write up. Your experience pretty much sums up what most owners experience among the UUC, Borla Race, and Magnaflow exhausts it seems. Your descriptions of the 1-6th gear sounds and feelings are nearly identical to what I felt with my Borla Race.

FWIW, I've had on numerous occasions people tell me they can hear me coming from down the street, but it's not the exhaust they hear, it's the supercharger they hear. So all in all, if you think the UUC may be too loud, or the Borla may be too loud, or the Magnaflow may be too loud, keep in mind the loudest part about the car is the supercharger, where it matters. And by that I mean, the MCS doesn't sound like some kid coming down the street with a 4" pipe sticking way out, but rather the unmistakable sound of the supercharged MCS coming your way. Yet, on the highway, cruising, the low rumble is all you hear.

Old 11-06-2003, 04:36 PM
QBear
3rd Gear
Greatgro, thanx very much for taking the time and making the effort to give us your evaluation of the UUC.

I was seriously considering this exhaust, but not after hearing reports of an "imperfect weld". That might possibly be acceptable if the price were half of what it is. However, with the price being about the highest on the market, imperfect just isn't good enough.

Old 11-06-2003, 04:37 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Hey D,

Terrific write up.....!!!!!!!

I'm glad that after all your extensive research.....you are happy with your final choice :smile:
That's really what it is all about....doncha think ????? :smile:

It's all very subjective and personal taste is......truly the defining factor.

All good things mi amigo.... :smile:

<<Drone or no drone
is there a drone? Well, yes there is. Is it bad? No, not IMO>>
It seems the UUC does indeed ...drone.

You've made me extremely happy that I jumped and got the Borla Street :smile:

Peace,
D

Old 11-06-2003, 05:05 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>><<Drone or no drone
>>is there a drone? Well, yes there is. Is it bad? No, not IMO>>
>>It seems the UUC does indeed ...drone.
>>
>>You've made me extremely happy that I jumped and got the Borla Street :smile:
>>
>>Peace,
>>D
So true, D. I think this would have definitely been too loud for you.

Old 11-06-2003, 07:59 PM
dandp
6th Gear
ahhhhh....the good old uphill drone. Have had it with my Rogue on the Cooper. Nice write up BTW.

So when are you gonna blow by my house @ WOT??? I wanna hear it.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Bk_MCS
5th Gear
Oh my! Now let me go read it, lol.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Bk_MCS
5th Gear
Very nice job.

Old 11-06-2003, 11:35 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
greatgro,
Thanks very much for your write up. Very interesting how the exhaust works for you. Interesting because my quicksilver is much the same. I have no pulley and the performance with the rpms and gears you mention are pretty much the same as well as the quietness at hwy speeds and more loudness with throttle and uphills. I don't feel much penalty at all at low rpms in any gear however. Will see how things work if I add the pulley. It's disappointing to hear about the hanger needing to be trimmed. You'd expect better. I heard pc's UUC and it idles quietly but deeply and isn't that loud at all but louder than Borla street. I think it sounds very nice.