Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain HELP loosing boost because of?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:46 PM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP loosing boost because of?

ok so to let everyone know, 2 days ago i just got a tune from RMW. my numbers weren't that great due to a boost leak somewhere. as you know stock boost numbers are 13.5psi and overboosts to 15psi, while jan's tune is about 16.5psi and overboosts to 18psi. i've noticed since i had my boost gauge installed when im overboosting to 15 it would sometimes drop down to 10 or 11. so when i got my tune and was running on the dyno i had overboosted to 18 and it would drop back down t 14psi.

the night before the tune i had changed my oil and i drove about 150 to my destination. while arriving in town i started hearing a strange whistling/whining sound. while in 3rd gear, i put a little bit of gas and the whining sound comes out, but if i let go of the gas it disappears. so comes the next day it still happens. when jan starts tuning i tell him i hear a whining noise when the turbo is spooling. so then jan starts tuning and find out that i have a boost leak. jan says it may be the diverter valve/ bypass valve.

can anyone help me or does anyone know what the problem is?

Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 AM
tfuhst
2nd Gear
Not too thrilled to hear that either, i have the same noise in fifth gear only when i give it some gas....

Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 PM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
ok so today i went to mini to get my car diagnosed because of the whining sound, also 2 days ago while driving in 6th gear i let off the gas then give the car a little bit of gas and my shifter pops out of 6th gear.

so after they diagnosed my car they told me i needed a new puma case, also they told me i need a new transmission....

Old 10-24-2009, 06:03 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So what the heck is a puma case?

Old 10-24-2009, 06:29 AM
Stig One
Banned
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
It is what a puma comes in

Old 10-24-2009, 07:59 AM
tfuhst
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by stinkytofu
ok so today i went to mini to get my car diagnosed because of the whining sound, also 2 days ago while driving in 6th gear i let off the gas then give the car a little bit of gas and my shifter pops out of 6th gear.

so after they diagnosed my car they told me i needed a new puma case, also they told me i need a new transmission....
what does the transmission have to do with the noise? I had my entire transmission replaced a month ago by the dealership and since then ive had the whining noise in 5th gear. Well see what they say about my car mine is going in next week. I have a feeling they will tell me anything but a new transmission due to the fact that they already had to do it for free on my MCS

Old 10-24-2009, 05:11 PM
joshK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Stig One
It is what a puma comes in
We have a winner! Please get this man 2 internets!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:01 PM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
lol at sting one, but supposedly the puma case is where information is stored when there are problems with you are. also where techs can store information when working on the car. thats what the dealer told me so i dunno.

i really dont know what the transmission has to do with the whining noise..

Old 10-28-2009, 04:20 AM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
I noticed our MCS was down on power accellerating, put the foot down and it would hesitate when taking off. I also noticed I could hear the diverter valve (stock JCW intake).

I checked all the hose clamps on the intake and found the hose on the cold side of the intercooler was just about off, the hose clamp was loose and not around the whole hose diamter.

I re tightened the the clamp and all good now. This is actually the 2nd time I have had this happen, the last was the hot side of the IC clamp.

I found if you undo the intake tube off the airbox and block the tube with your hand while the engine is at idle, you can check for a leak. If there is no leak all the hose sections will collapse under the vacuum. If there is a leak somewhere they will not collapse all the way down. Sounds crazy but it works.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:10 PM
oldcracker
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stinkytofu
lol at sting one, but supposedly the puma case is where information is stored when there are problems with you are. also where techs can store information when working on the car. thats what the dealer told me so i dunno.

i really dont know what the transmission has to do with the whining noise..
so did you get a new transmission because of the whining noise?
i have the exact same thing, when i put in a little bit of gas i hear it, but when i let go or gas it a little harder it's gone, it's so weird because it only happens at 2200-2300rpm, and i only started to hear it right after i got the cold start repair

i'm not sure if i should post it in the cold start thread but i don't seem to hear another person with the whining noise after the cold start repair