Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain RMW Tuning Feedback -How's your R56 MINI doing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:39 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
RMW Tuning Feedback -How's your R56 MINI doing?

I am looking for feedback from those who have purchased the RMW Tuning for their R56 MINI. I am right on the edge but still looking for owner input on this. How is your MINI doing since getting the flash from RMW Tuning?

Old 10-10-2009, 01:35 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Figured I'd just respond to your PM here since its asking the same thing.

Simply put, there's nothing to be on the edge about! DO IT!

It completely transforms the car. Pulls all the way to the redline, which as you know is not the case on stock mapping. The amount of torque is outstanding. My car runs approx 18 psi, and its smooth as butter. I was the 2nd car that Jan had done, and I have had no problems since April when it was done...I'm not exactly sure how many miles it's been, but its been a lot as I drive between LA and Phoenix often. I drive "spirited" too.

The only thing I'd recommend having is an aftermarket IC, but I see you already do, so you're golden there. The stock IC just really cannot keep up with the increased boost levels. The only "problem" I had was with cooling during the AZ summer, when it was 115+. Car was not happy in those temps (no car is), but I added the Helix IC halfway through summer and it helped a ton.

If you have the chance to get tuned, do it, you won't regret!

Old 10-10-2009, 01:57 PM
old81
M6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No issues, no cels. I like the power band. I have an automatic.

I put on the Helix IC after the tune (new this week), it is much more responsive, a little due to the Helix and part due to the tune.

With the tune and Helix IC, the MINI pulls and pulls and never appears to be straining. I will test on the track when the weather clears.

The head mechanic at the shop referred to my MINI as 'wicked fun'. Yup, that describes it perfectly.

I do not have boost tubes or hard-pipes, maybe in the spring.

Last edited by old81; 10-10-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:58 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the Stage I kit last year on my '08 MCSa. It was great. This year I did the RMW on my '09 JCW. ABSAFREAKINLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!

If I drive nice on the highway, I can get 33-34 mpg.... mostly I get 30-31.

In the city (I'm a lot lead footed) I average 28.7, the car PULLS hard and doesn't give me an ounce of problems. I've put about 9K miles on my car since the tune. No CEL's, no issues, just pure adrenalin.

The only issue I have with the entire tune is my sport button is hard to use. When I press it, it's like waking the beast within. I don't know what the difference is since the RMW tune as far as the sport button but it makes the car almost difficult to drive. (but hey, I'm a fast learner....lol)

The car sounds great (Exhaust depot's exhaust and downpipe didn't hurt...lol) but the burble, sound and performance is second to none.

I was offered my old supercharged C5 convertible back for quite a bit less than what I sold it and I declined because the mini is so fun to drive now.

Quit hesitating, it's WELL worth the money.

Mark

Old 10-10-2009, 08:04 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've read tonnes of threads about the RMW tune. I wish I could bring my car to to the states to get it tuned by Jan, a few of us here were actually gonna fly him down...

Old 10-10-2009, 09:25 PM
masterd78
MANIAC
Love it!! I now have a whopping 256 FT/LBS Torque and 226 HP!! It is awesome, so stop thinking about it and get it done!!

Old 10-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Stig One
Banned
Originally Posted by etalj
i've read tonnes of threads about the RMW tune. I wish I could bring my car to to the states to get it tuned by Jan, a few of us here were actually gonna fly him down...
Jan does remote tuning via data logging.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:57 AM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stig One
Jan does remote tuning via data logging.
Will it be just as good, I wonder?

Old 10-11-2009, 01:06 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I did the Stage I kit last year on my '08 MCSa. It was great. This year I did the RMW on my '09 JCW. ABSAFREAKINLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!

If I drive nice on the highway, I can get 33-34 mpg.... mostly I get 30-31.

In the city (I'm a lot lead footed) I average 28.7, the car PULLS hard and doesn't give me an ounce of problems. I've put about 9K miles on my car since the tune. No CEL's, no issues, just pure adrenalin.

The only issue I have with the entire tune is my sport button is hard to use. When I press it, it's like waking the beast within. I don't know what the difference is since the RMW tune as far as the sport button but it makes the car almost difficult to drive. (but hey, I'm a fast learner....lol)

The car sounds great (Exhaust depot's exhaust and downpipe didn't hurt...lol) but the burble, sound and performance is second to none.

I was offered my old supercharged C5 convertible back for quite a bit less than what I sold it and I declined because the mini is so fun to drive now.

Quit hesitating, it's WELL worth the money.

Mark
+1 on the gas mileage...I get the same.

+1 on the Sport button! I find myself driving with sport off a lot of the time since the tune. Sport is just too crazy for everyday driving. Non-sport mode feels like the sport mode did prior to the tune. And Sport is a special treat for spirited driving!

Originally Posted by masterd78
Love it!! I now have a whopping 256 FT/LBS Torque and 226 HP!! It is awesome, so stop thinking about it and get it done!!
Nice numbers man, I'm wondering how much you gained from the P/P head??

Old 10-15-2009, 05:19 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Anymore feedback???

Old 10-15-2009, 05:48 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Has anyone spent at least 10 days on the track with the RMW tune? Just wanted to see how it and the associated parts held out under more extreme conditions.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:47 PM
killerfox
4th Gear
I've got about 10K miles since the tune and am still as happy as the day it was done. I get about 32 mpg mixed driving and about 35 hwy. The power and drivability is great. I also own an 2008 M3 and like driving my MINI better, hoping Jan can tune my M3 next time he comes to town. Don't wait any longer, Just do it, you will not be sorry.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Lil Q
2nd Gear
I'd like to learn more about the remote data logging.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 PM
old81
M6
I guess I'm enjoying my MINI to much, only getting about 29.7 avg. I guess it is time to reset the counter.

Mostly city driving with a track day or two thrown into the mix.

Probably 2K miles since the tune.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 PM
mrravioli3
1st Gear
Now I wanna get my R56 tuned up, anyone know how I can get it done in South Florida?

Or contact Jan somehow?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:45 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Just spent the weekend with Jan...doing some testing of new maps .

Lots of progress was made in the tune and my car literally feels like it got a new motor!

And for all of you ex-R53 owners...you will be DELIGHTED to know that the burble is back . Jan figured out where the mapping for the burble lies in the eprom and we have burble on overrun now! It sounds wicked.

The upper rev range is night and day now...the car pulls all the way to the redline and holds 17psi nearly to the top.

On top of everything...my car is BUTTER smooth through the entire rev range. Not that it wasn't smooth with the last tune, but this is just unreal now. I HIGHLY recommend the tune, it just gets better and better.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:07 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
You need to get about 6 or so other MINIS onboard with getting the tune also. Then give Jan a call; his number is on his website. You should be able to get hooked up after that.

Last edited by scottab36; 10-22-2009 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Sabes
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by masterd78
wow, is that WHP?

Old 10-22-2009, 11:59 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sabes
wow, is that WHP?
yes....

He has a ported/polished head though, so that prob explains the high numbers

Old 10-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Stig One
Banned
Originally Posted by mrravioli3
Now I wanna get my R56 tuned up, anyone know how I can get it done in South Florida?

Or contact Jan somehow?

I have a dyno that jan can use that is located 20 minutes from the turnpike and 30 minutes from 1-95 in north orlando metro .

Easier and cheaper to get jan a ticket to orlando( floridas hub airport) than miami/ft lauderdale

Old 10-25-2009, 02:48 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
I posted in this thread a few days ago, post never showed up though.

I spent last weekend with Jan helping him test some new maps he found. After all was said and done, it feels like I got a different motor put in!

Now I always thought my tune before was really smooth...this recent tune is out of this world smooth. The car pulls hard all the way to the redline now. I actually find myself using the top rev band now, whereas before I'd just kind of avoid that. Boost is much more consistant now too. Holds a solid 17.5 psi all the way up in the rev band.

One of the best parts: for those that had an R53 and miss the burble.......it's baaaaaaaaaaaack!! I know a lot of you have been waiting for that, and he found the mapping for it. Sounds wicked!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
I posted in this thread a few days ago, post never showed up though.

I spent last weekend with Jan helping him test some new maps he found. After all was said and done, it feels like I got a different motor put in!

Now I always thought my tune before was really smooth...this recent tune is out of this world smooth. The car pulls hard all the way to the redline now. I actually find myself using the top rev band now, whereas before I'd just kind of avoid that. Boost is much more consistant now too. Holds a solid 17.5 psi all the way up in the rev band.

One of the best parts: for those that had an R53 and miss the burble.......it's baaaaaaaaaaaack!! I know a lot of you have been waiting for that, and he found the mapping for it. Sounds wicked!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Jupiter Clam II
1st Gear
Southern New England needs to pull enough people together to get Jan out here in the spring!!! I want this Tune!!!!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:45 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Partsman
Ok, so whats this one for?

Old 10-26-2009, 04:56 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Burble galore.....

Quick Reply: Drivetrain RMW Tuning Feedback -How's your R56 MINI doing?